When creating multiple takes how do I save one lane to a track?

Rick Derer

Question

8 answers to this question

You need to be clicking with the Comping/Isolation tool. By default this tool's icon will appear when hovering over the bottom half of a clip in a take lane with the Smart tool.

All clips that overlap the 'promoted' clip will be muted by clip-muting (as opposed to lane- or track-muting) and grayed out:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.57.html#1832832

If you don't want to keep the other takes, you can just click the individual 'X' buttons in each lane to delete them (you might have to slightly expand the lanes to see those buttons if they're minimized). If you want to keep them, you can just solo the lane you want to hear, and the others will be automatically muted. Note that CW will still be reading the files for muted lanes from disk on playback which adds a tiny bit of overhead you would not have if they were deleted.

Edited by David Baay

Thanks for the responses. Where I'm getting stuck is in dragging the take I want to keep to another track (or promoting it as one answer describes it).

I can't seem to drag it or copy and paste it.

Is there a video that shows this? I'm sure its very simple and I'm just missing something obvious.

What I do is promote the take I want, swipe across it or double click it , then drag the promoted take, which is now the audio that appears in the track , and then drag that track to anther track.

When you drag a take lane to another track it will show up in a take in the new track. You might have to expand the track take lanes where you dragged the take to see it.

https://wavetronix-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/p/rstjohn/EXY4kNKvLPxNmw0mWoZq5BEBXJOAIcp5k-ChAnN15th_eg?e=I6bEGb

Edited by reginaldStjohn