Take to the Sky - sorta colab

daryl1968

Hi Folks

Here's a track that a very talented friend of mine, Tom Passamonte  wrote and recorded at my (small but perfectly formed) studio.

He is singing and playing all the guitars, I am on backing vocals, bass, drums etc. I cannot take any credit for the song but he left the production to me.

Edited by daryl1968
  • Great Idea 1

D 68, song is arranged nicely.

Very clear recording.

Your buddy Tom has a nice voice, did you tweak it with melo d at all?

Love the lyrics.

The bass sits nice.   Are you inputing through anything other than the RME?

The middle at 1:50 is sweet, takes talent to make those middles mesh.

The guitar tone on the solo is to die for, I sure would be curios as to what the order of devices was on that, or is that an ancient druid secre?

Yes, nice

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 1:01 AM, Lynn said:

Daryl, you've done a terrific job with this.  It helps to have a good song, yet, you've made it better.  This is polished, balanced, and ready for the masses.  Keep up the good work, mate!

Thanks Lynn - you're the best

Wo Ow great song indeed ...one thing, for my ears the rhythm guitar could be brought up in the mix then brought down and widened for the lead to come in .. but that 'Harrison' type lead made be go cold, (Wish I could play like that) .....this is the type of track I listen too whenever I find it and if it goes on an album I'll be very tempted to buy this ...anyway top marks ...  sounds like you really enjoyed this one !

Steve

• Like 1

Very nice production you did here with your collab mate Daryl...

I noticed right off the bat that as each new moment unfolded during the songs play , the intensity of the song and performances got stronger ...

One could say the tune burns in a Slow Cooker sort of way .

all the best,

Kenny

• Like 1

Nice song. Love the solo guitar tone. His vocals are good too. Pleasant tone.

Mix was good too. Nice fine production. And your bkup voc was spot on!! Really took the song up a notch when they came in. Your voices sound good together.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

daryl
I like the song a lot - the guy singing is incredible. I'm impressed with the vocal track which I assume you did some work on?  If so, would you work on mine next? Just kidding, but it does convince me to learn more about mixing vocals.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 1:17 PM, Jesse Screed said:

D 68, song is arranged nicely.

Very clear recording.

Your buddy Tom has a nice voice, did you tweak it with melo d at all?

Love the lyrics.

The bass sits nice.   Are you inputing through anything other than the RME?

The middle at 1:50 is sweet, takes talent to make those middles mesh.

The guitar tone on the solo is to die for, I sure would be curios as to what the order of devices was on that, or is that an ancient druid secre?

Yes, nice

Hey Jesse - thanks mate. Only a teeny bit of Mel o'dyne on this one - not like my own vocals that require a truck load. The bass has some slight distortion on it and compressed.  The guitar was mic'd through a little vox speaker (old school) and then a unicorn cast a mixing spell on me so I don't remember the rest.

Edited by daryl1968

On 7/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, freddy j said:

What is not to like about this song?!  Great composition, the performances by all, the vocals are excellent and the mix (production) sounds really good.  Oh ya the lyrics are terrific!

Excellent job by both of you!!!

Thanks Freddy :)

On 7/12/2019 at 2:19 PM, SPAK said:

Wo Ow great song indeed ...one thing, for my ears the rhythm guitar could be brought up in the mix then brought down and widened for the lead to come in .. but that 'Harrison' type lead made be go cold, (Wish I could play like that) .....this is the type of track I listen too whenever I find it and if it goes on an album I'll be very tempted to buy this ...anyway top marks ...  sounds like you really enjoyed this one !

Steve

Thanks Steve - I also wondered about the acoustic. Tom can certainly play and sing - his band plays out three times a week EVERY week

• Like 1