FIXED!!! Another Song Crash on Export to wave.

Max Arwood

I know I have 2 requests for help in a row. I'm getting a bunch of these lately. Mostly when the songs are almost finished. I know it is probably plugin related, but I can't seem to figure out what combination of plugins is causing this. Any Ideas?

Edited by Max Arwood

Be methodical about it - open the project in Safe Mode and say no to everything (obviously don't save the project over your existing one in this state). If it exports correctly, it's almost certainly a plugin.  See if this exports OK with every track archived - it'll give you a blank export but if it doesn't crash, that's a good sign.

If the archived trick works, archive only the first half of the tracks in the project. If it crashes, it's in that batch. Pair that down to half of those and see which one it is. Eventually you'll be left with the problem track(s).

Before doing that, I'd say investigate turning off the double precision engine in Driver Settings, and/or Use MMCSS in Playback and Recording and see if that has any bearing - some plugins and drivers have a bit of a cry about this stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had an issue with instant crash on export recently as well. In another thread here, Noel Borthwick suggested turning off "plugin flushing" before export in the preferences. Here's a link to that thread, not saying it will fix your issue . . . but I haven't had an export crash since I disabled this.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/50209-is-it-me-or-a-bug-with-cakewalk-export-audio/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I know I have 2 requests for help in a row. I'm getting a bunch of these lately. Mostly when the songs are almost finished. I know it is probably plugin related, but I can't seem to figure out what combination of plugins is causing this. Any Ideas?

Did you get a crash dump generated?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Lord Tim said:

Be methodical about it - open the project in Safe Mode and say no to everything (obviously don't save the project over your existing one in this state). If it exports correctly, it's almost certainly a plugin.  See if this exports OK with every track archived - it'll give you a blank export but if it doesn't crash, that's a good sign.

If the archived trick works, archive only the first half of the tracks in the project. If it crashes, it's in that batch. Pair that down to half of those and see which one it is. Eventually you'll be left with the problem track(s).

Before doing that, I'd say investigate turning off the double precision engine in Driver Settings, and/or Use MMCSS in Playback and Recording and see if that has any bearing - some plugins and drivers have a bit of a cry about this stuff.

Archiving tracks is what I always do.  Most of my projects are 80-120 tracks. I don't have the horsepower to keep them live! I get into problems with bus processors. Sometimes I like to keep a few synths live for editing. It will export with the FX turned off.  I tried the double precision engine off and 64 bit processing off. I didn't try MMCSS, yet I was reading about it last night. I turned all the FX off on another project then turned them on one folder full at a time. Finally, I found it was bus effects on the other song. I'm going to take this one apart one plugin at a time LOL!! Well, maybe one group at a time. Till I find it!! Thanks for the tips.

• Like 2

Well, I have been working on this for a few days. It seems to be fixed for some reason. The original crash was 09 or one version before that.  Since then, I have updated two times. At this time, there are NO crashes!! I do wish there was some way to look for faulting plugins. It's always someone taking shortcuts programming plugins and not strictly following VST3  protocol. There will always be great new plugins that you want to try that are faulty.  Maybe there could be a "sandbox" app with white noise or something to check for faults. I hope you guys can figure out something. Thanks to you and all the team for all the hard work you are putting into Cakewalk! The bug fix list is phenomenal! It would be cool to have a count of how many have been fixed since Bandlab took ownership. The Lexicon Dual Delay bug was fixed also that's for that too.

Thank you,

Max Arwood

• 5 months later...

Thank you @Noel Borthwick for mentioning to set the BounceFlushTailsMaxDurationSec setting to zero.  I was at my wits end with this issue.  Not sure which plugin didn't like the flush and crashed Cakewalk, possibly Soothe2, or just having too many plugins running.  But thanks again for this, what a time-saver.  Dave

image.png.f9e96c6a3681e7d2eb21a2b49a846525.png