Crash when loading a new project

Herbert Zio

As I mentioned in another thread, after updating to version 2022.09 (Build 039), the DAW started to have these crashes when opening a new project.
I uninstalled the DAW and installed version 2022.06 (Build 028), and it does not have this crash, but when I to update to version 2022.09 (Build 039)  appears.
To better illustrate what I'm talking about, I recorded the screen of both versions.

Version: 2022.06 (Build 028)

Version: 2022.09 (Build 039)

• Like 1

Another bug that is happening is when saving the Workspace with the Control Bar collapsed, when closing the DAW and opening it again, the Control Bar Collapsed is all unconfigured.

Control Bar Collapsed = Before closing the DAW

image.thumb.png.34e037b853af7e32dd8c98eb574e49da.png

Control Bar Collapsed = When reopening the DAW

image.thumb.png.60b62b88258b8861622434e7e749485c.png

1 hour ago, Herbert Miron said:

Another bug that is happening is when saving the Workspace with the Control Bar collapsed, when closing the DAW and opening it again, the Control Bar Collapsed is all unconfigured.

I remember this issue from several years ago.  In some cases with a collapsed control bar, there were sizing issues as you noted.  I don't remember if I found a way to design a Workspace and/or save a project so this didn't happen.  However, for the past several years I have been using a shortened floating Control Bar and I totally forgot about this issue until you mentioned it.  

21 hours ago, Herbert Miron said:

As I mentioned in another thread, after updating to version 2022.09 (Build 039), the DAW started to have these crashes when opening a new project.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as a crash. There is no crash in your video. It just shows the views loading normally.

On 11/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

I'm not sure what you are referring to as a crash. There is no crash in your video. It just shows the views loading normally.

If you notice in the second video, when loading a New Project, there is a delay in loading the "Inspector", from the "View, Options, Track..". and "Browser", in the previous version's video, loading was performed together with Track View.

5 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

That is not a crash and is normal. A crash causes program termination.
Timing for loading of views can be system dependent. There is no change I know of that could cause a behavior change here. 

I expressed myself badly, it would be another lag that started to occur after I update.

@Noel Borthwick Is the group split behavior I reported in the private message normal for Cakewalk, or is it a glitch?

On 11/2/2022 at 9:03 PM, User 905133 said:

I remember this issue from several years ago.  In some cases with a collapsed control bar, there were sizing issues as you noted.  I don't remember if I found a way to design a Workspace and/or save a project so this didn't happen.  However, for the past several years I have been using a shortened floating Control Bar and I totally forgot about this issue until you mentioned it.  

This issue has already been resolved in the new update, as far as I can see.

• Like 2

The Track Inspector does definitely take longer to be drawn now than in previous versions (I also checked with SONAR Platinum with a very small - 5 track, 2 or 3 effects - project and TI appearance is instant vs. ~0.5 seconds in the latest EA).

38 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

The Track Inspector does definitely take longer to be drawn now than in previous versions (I also checked with SONAR Platinum with a very small - 5 track, 2 or 3 effects - project and TI appearance is instant vs. ~0.5 seconds in the latest EA).

I fixed a bunch of docking issues for this release. CbB is doing some extra work to restore the correct docking layout when loading a project/screenset/workspace, so it's not surprising if there are some minor, noticeable differences.

To be honest, what I'm seeing in @Herbert Miron's videos (thanks for posting them, Herbert), although not ideal, doesn't strike me as being particularly bad or cause for concern. To me, it seems like a small price to pay to ensure your projects/screensets/workspaces look the same as you left them.

But if you guys are seeing loading delays lasting more than, say, a second or two, then I'd like to see a video of that. It might be worth revisiting.

Edit: I notice in Herbert's videos that the Inspector (left) and Browser (right) are both collapsed. I'd be interested to know if the same delay happens when you save the project with them both expanded. If not, that would be a big clue.

• Like 1

Well, its important to report the version where the problem occurred :)
It was being implied that the latest release introduced the drawing problem when in fact it did not.

So the history is that back in July, I changed the startup code to work around a bug in Vienna Ensemble that was wiping out queued windows messages to draw the app. I changed it to not defer the final app redraw and instead do that synchronously.

The result of that is that it "opens the stage" so to speak too early now, before some other parts have completed drawing. This makes it look a bit flickery. We now ensure that we handled all queued redraws before showing the final app. 

8 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

Edit: I notice in Herbert's videos that the Inspector (left) and Browser (right) are both collapsed. I'd be interested to know if the same delay happens when you save the project with them both expanded. If not, that would be a big clue.

Thanks for the replies!🙂

Yes, the delay occurs even when I start a project saved with both tabs open.

@Noel Borthwick, @Ben Staton, Regarding the clip group, if I'm going to split the drum parts to edit them all at once through the clip group, I can't use the "Tab to transients" to split them all at once, I have to click on the clip, so that the others are selected and then the action performed on them. Is this a glitch?
In the other DAWs that I used this feature, every action performed on a clip belonging to the group was performed on the other clips regardless of whether they were selected or not. I'll leave two videos to try to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Splitting group clips with just one clip and one click.

Splitting a group of clips, more than one click, and needing to click more than once so that the other clips are selected and the action performed.