MOTU ships M6

satya

https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m6/

MOTU has announced that it is now shipping its new USB-C bus-powered audio interface for Mac, Windows and iOS. The M6 offers best-in-class audio quality, best-in-class speed (ultra-low latency) and best-in-class metering with a full-color LCD.

With more I/O than the M2 and M4, the 6-input/4-output M6 features four mic/line/hi-Z guitar inputs with individual preamp gain and 48V phantom power, two additional 1/4-inch analog inputs, one-touch hardware (direct) monitoring of all inputs (in mono or stereo), four 1/4-inch balanced analog outputs, two headphone outputs with independent volume, MIDI I/O, and “loopback” driver channels for live-streaming and podcasting.

The M6 also features an A/B monitor switch, unique to its class, to compare mix output on two sets of studio monitors. Driven by ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC Technology, both headphone outputs mirror the signal on Monitor Outs 1-2 and feature independent volume control. The second headphone output includes a 3-4 switch that allows it to independently monitor Line Outs 3-4, which can provide a completely separate mix from the computer.

With bus-powered operation for USB-C computer hosts, the M6 includes a multi-blade international DC power adapter that allows the M6 to provide stand-alone monitoring, without a computer. The power adapter also provides power when the M6 is connected to a USB-A computer host.

“Similar to the M2 and M4, the M6 delivers unmatched audio performance and features in a four mic input interface at this price,” said Jim Cooper, Director of Marketing at MOTU.

Equipped with the same ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC Technology found in audio interfaces costing thousands, the M6 delivers an astonishing 120 dB Dynamic Range on its balanced, DC-coupled outputs. Thanks to MOTU’s expertly engineered M Series USB drivers, the M6 delivers class-leading, ultra-low 2.5 ms Round Trip Latency (with a 32 sample buffer at 96 kHz). The M6 is the only audio interface in its class with a full-color, high-resolution LCD featuring clear, detailed level meters for all inputs and outputs.

The M6 is shipping now for $399.95 USD.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

I waited like 2 years for the MOTU Ultralite MK5 to become available... and it never did, so I bought an Arturia interface.

Motu outperformed everyone in budget interface range except for the software side , so i still believe this will be better than Arturia

I’m thinking of getting an M4 as I’ve got an Arturia MiniFuse 1 now. Cute one, even has a usb-out on the back and it’s knobs have lights, which makes them more visible than the Motu ones. Still, this new M6 could be a contender but the Arturia MiniFuse 4 costs much less. Those color LCD meters on the M6 are nice though. Might get an M4 for that very reason. 

I was excited about the M4, the specs on paper seemed fantastic but when I have seen the side by side comparisons on Youtube, I didn't like the sound, maybe it's just bad or rigged Youtube videos. I also noticed that many thought the M4 sounded the best, just not to me.

Meh...
I soured on Motu long ago - bought one of the original  Ultralights in 2007.
Lemon from the moment I opened the box - device had issues, audio had issues, drivers had issues. Support strung me along for months submitting endless log files, testing new drivers, etc... 
Finally replaced it with another DAC and never looked back.
Never sold it because it didn't feel right ruining someone else's day for a few bucks even though at the time funds were in short supply. 

I'm sure the new generation is much more reliable, can turn turds into gold, etc. but MOTU permanently lost a customer with their shenanigans.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Meh...
I soured on Motu long ago - bought one of the original  Ultralights in 2007.
Lemon from the moment I opened the box - device had issues, audio had issues, drivers had issues. Support strung me along for months submitting endless log files, testing new drivers, etc... 
Finally replaced it with another DAC and never looked back.
Never sold it because it didn't feel right ruining someone else's day for a few bucks even though at the time funds were in short supply. 

I'm sure the new generation is much more reliable, can turn turds into gold, etc. but MOTU permanently lost a customer with their shenanigans.

I had a similar experience with the Ultralite and customer service around the same time. I won't go into all the details but it was such a problem I wrote a letter to the president of MOTU. MOTU and I reside in MA. I mailed it on Friday and on Monday morning I got a call from his wife and the company's CEO. We spent two hours on the phone, discussing what MOTU could do better (Windows drivers and tech support, for starters), our kids, her amazing Marine Corps dad, the plans for the company, etc. Within weeks they revamped their customer service protocols and vastly improved their Windows drivers.

We have since become friends and regularly chat. She's sent me products to try out and keeps in touch. MOTU gave lots of money to a benefit music festival I used to run before Covid. MOTU has a very loyal customer and I recommend their products to my clients and students over Focusrite and others. And their products are wicked good, as we would say. My little interface for travel and teaching is the M2. Kills the Scarlett 2i2. Drivers are rock solid, excellent converters, mic pres are actually OK and it's built really well.

• Like 4