[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.11 Early Access [Updated to Build 12]

Morten Saether

Please note: The main post has been updated to 28.11.0.012

This build contains the following additional improvements:

Quick group support for:

• Track effect bin Bypass
  • Track effect bin Delete Effect (hold down CTRL+SHIFT to also remove an effect from any FX Chains within the selected tracks)
  • Individual effect bypass

Fix: Orphaned envelope cannot be reassigned after replacing effect

Fix: Envelopes are orphaned after undoing track effect bin Delete Effect

Fix: [Regression] Track Inspector flickers and draws after the main app window is drawn when opening a project

• Thanks 9

You can use quick grouping to replace all instances of the same effect in all selected tracks. To do so, hold down the CTRL key while choosing the replacement effect. 

Thanks for working on the "Replace Audio FX" feature request.  Is this ^^^ supposed to be working yet?  It didn't work for me in build 09 or 12.

I tried holding down CTRL just when selecting the replacement effect as well as when opening up the menu. I also tried both the left and right CTRL key and Shift+Ctrl just in case that would work on non-chains.  In all cases, only one FX plug-in was replaced; the others didn't close.

Again, thanks for working on this feature.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

CTRL needs to be held down at the time of picking the effect not when opening the menu and you need to have all the tracks selected from which effects are to be replaced.

Thanks for the clarification of the steps. I did a Rollback and re-installed EA build 012. It works now, but I think it was user error on my part when I was trying it before.  

Edited by User 905133
Update of post

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Quick group support for:

• Track effect bin Delete Effect (hold down CTRL+SHIFT to also remove an effect from any FX Chains within the selected tracks)

Fix: [Regression] Track Inspector flickers and draws after the main app window is drawn when opening a project

Thanks a lot Noel.

Thanks for all your work!

8 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Confirmed fixed.

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Quick group support for:

Thank you very much Noel  and the whole team!.  These modifications greatly simplify the work when working with many tracks. Great job!

@Noel Borthwick

I downloaded the new EA and it still remains as follows:

- Either delete or change all FX, even if TRACKS and BUS are selected, it only works within the TRACKS or BUS scope, depending on where the right button has been clicked to access the MENU.
If this is the expected behavior then I suggest it be clarified in the functionality detail.

- On a MIDI track with more than one existing control the lines remain in the same color causing confusion as they mix. The impression I have is that the sampling is always given by the highest value of one of the controls. Example: If I have Tremolo-120, Modulation-90 and Pedal - 50. The line that appears behind the MIDI notes is the largest, that is, in this case: Tremolo-120.
So I think this functionality is very good, but it would need to be improved to actually show all existing controls in their correct values.

54 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

- Either delete or change all FX, even if TRACKS and BUS are selected, it only works within the TRACKS or BUS scope, depending on where the right button has been clicked to access the MENU.
If this is the expected behavior then I suggest it be clarified in the functionality detail.

This is intentional. Quick groups have always worked this way.  See the "Quick Groups" section of the reference guide (page 1044)

54 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

On a MIDI track with more than one existing control the lines remain in the same color causing confusion as they mix. The impression I have is that the sampling is always given by the highest value of one of the controls. Example: If I have Tremolo-120, Modulation-90 and Pedal - 50. The line that appears behind the MIDI notes is the largest, that is, in this case: Tremolo-120.
So I think this functionality is very good, but it would need to be improved to actually show all existing controls in their correct values.

The only thing that has changed here is that controllers are drawn behind the notes rather than in front.  Controller events were always drawn in a single colour on MIDI tracks, as opposed to controller automation, which follows the colour of the automation lane.  There is currently no way to set the colour of individual types of controller events, which is why it uses a slightly darker shade of the clip colour.

OK... Nice to have the finer resolution for the controllers... and being able to see them behind the notes? Currently useless for me. I can't see that view while editing them. Is there a plan to add this soon? On suggestion from the forum I tried the inline editor but no difference there.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to edit the controller while seeing the "normal" notes view with controllers behind?

Ouch! Just found another...

In PRV. Select controllers with notes is enabled. I lasso a group of notes that has controller events. Moving the notes is leaving the controllers where the were...

Edited by Keni

13 minutes ago, Keni said:

OK... Nice to have the finer resolution for the controllers... and being able to see them behind the notes? Currently useless for me. I can't see that view while editing them. Is there a plan to add this soon? On suggestion from the forum I tried the inline editor but no difference there.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to edit the controller while seeing the "normal" notes view with controllers behind?

I don't understand your request.

If you need to edit controllers, just use the inline PRV view as you always did - i.e. change the filter to "Notes",  then change the filter again to Notes->[controller type]:

InlinePRV.gif

5 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I don't understand your request.

If you need to edit controllers, just use the inline PRV view as you always did - i.e. change the filter to "Notes",  then change the filter again to Notes->[controller type].

OK.. That would be great. First off, I don't use the inline editor. I tried that as another user suggested it might be working there.

My request is simple and now has a bug attached as well (see edit to previous message).

When I'm seeing the regular PRV view and see the controllers "behind" the notes (instead of in the controller view below in it's pane. I can not edit the controllers? I must switch to the controller view to do this. That's my "request". Editing them in the main PRV view.

The bug is related to moving events while select controllers is enabled. I move the notes but the controller is not moving with them. In this case it's a mod wheel.

Edited by Keni

Behaving very strange trying to move notes with controllers. Now I see it need the controllers to be within the select range of the note and if events happen between notes, they are not moved (not tied to a note? A bit finiscky, but not working here anyway.

I moved the note and the return value was moved with it but not the beginning set as they began slightly before the note. As the controller is happening during the note, shouldn't it be selected even if it began between notes?

...and then there's always the difficulties of moving controllers. If I have a controller range, why can't I simply slide it (or portion of) left right??? Very frustrating.

Edited by Keni

1 hour ago, Milton Sica said:

@Noel Borthwick

All quickgrouping in Cakewalk has worked this way for the last 10 years or more. Its not new behavior.

23 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

All quickgrouping in Cakewalk has worked this way for the last 10 years or more. Its not new behavior.

@msmcleod

Thank you very much.
Pardon !
I thought that this innovation would make this improvement also in this operation.

After all if I "select track and bus" my understanding is that when we say "all tracks" selected, in fact it is:

- Will work for ALL selected TRACKS
- Will work for ALL selected BUS.

Separately for BANDS and FOR BUS.

Edited by Milton Sica

1 hour ago, Keni said:

OK.. That would be great. First off, I don't use the inline editor. I tried that as another user suggested it might be working there.

My request is simple and now has a bug attached as well (see edit to previous message).

When I'm seeing the regular PRV view and see the controllers "behind" the notes (instead of in the controller view below in it's pane. I can not edit the controllers? I must switch to the controller view to do this. That's my "request". Editing them in the main PRV view.

The bug is related to moving events while select controllers is enabled. I move the notes but the controller is not moving with them. In this case it's a mod wheel.

1 hour ago, Keni said:

Behaving very strange trying to move notes with controllers. Now I see it need the controllers to be within the select range of the note and if events happen between notes, they are not moved (not tied to a note? A bit finiscky, but not working here anyway.

I moved the note and the return value was moved with it but not the beginning set as they began slightly before the note. As the controller is happening during the note, shouldn't it be selected even if it began between notes?

...and then there's always the difficulties of moving controllers. If I have a controller range, why can't I simply slide it (or portion of) left right??? Very frustrating.

Nothing has changed with regard to PRV functionality.   These behaviours are completely unrelated to the EA release.

44 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Nothing has changed with regard to PRV functionality.   These behaviours are completely unrelated to the EA release.

Thanks Mark

Ok. But something is different somehow. Though I admit to having continuous issues with controller editing since forever, it’s now doing some things in an unusual manner.

Point in case.

two successive notes.

a mod wheel gets elevated to max for last note and returned to zero at note's end.

with select envelopes with notes enabled, I select the last note which gets highlighted as well as the raise controlled markers, but not the return and moving the note a distance much later, only copies the selected portion. 

I then made sure to manually lasso the entire area containing both the note and controller values so all was highlighted but i end up with the same result. I haven’t had this situation happen before this.

What was specific to this ea was my questions regarding controller editability in the main PRV view.

I apologize if it seemed I was wasting ea time. It was not my intention.

These are issues I did not have prior to this ea. (Controller editing? Special case as I found it hard to believe we would be given such a view in an edit window without being able to edit it).

I understand that nothing was changed in this ea regarding these issues. But then what changed here?

Thanks

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.11 Early Access [Updated to Build 12]