Note volume, De-Essing

chamlin

Apologies for how very basic this question is. Have been a way from music for a while.

1.  Can't remember how to adjust volume on a specific phrase or word of a vocal. Is the only way to select the clip, choose clip automation and use the map thing to draw it down? Thought there was another way.

2.  Does Cakewalk have a built in de-esser? Is it usable? Is there a tutorial for it? Have some terribly nasty piercing esses in a talk I just did. Well, 45 tracks of around 10 minutes each. With sibilance throughout. Help? Or anyone here good at it and need some work?

Sibilance Example - MySSSSelf.mp3

Chamlin , If I had that many tracks of random "s" problems , I would for sure first try and tame it with EQ. Throw a narrow band on , jack it way up and sweep around until you find a common frequency for the problem areas , then notch it way "down".  Listening to your example it sounds to me like more of a whistling problem than a normal example of needing de-essing , and it's probably going to be pretty high. This has been a new problem for me as a recent denture wearer. The Real tedious way would be to cut and edit out the offending areas. If you Identify a common EQ for the problem you could also use a multi band compressor or even better a dynamic EQ module to drop the frequency only when it hits hard. A good and reliable VST for removing sounds is Reafir . A free Reaper plugin that works well in Cakewalk. You just isolate the area, loop it and build a noise profile that it will remove thru out the track. It's good for fan noise , a humming preamp etc .. Videos online for setting it up.     Good luck ..     you have a nice voice for narration .       mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

Listening to your example it sounds to me like more of a whistling problem than a normal example of needing de-essing , and it's probably going to be pretty high. This has been a new problem for me as a recent denture wearer...  you have a nice voice for narration .       mark

Thanks for the voice compliment, Mark. It's one reason I want to get those damn teeth whistles out. You're right, it's not normal De-essing. It's more having a hawk screech coming out of my mouth...too often. Those options for fixing make sense. Beyond my ability and time frame at this point. But it helps clarify what's needed. I'll have to go on upwork to find someone brave enough to tackle it! 😃

• Like 1