2022.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

Hi all,

hope the coming update is going to fix the "Delete Special" (with Delete Hole + Shift by whole measures) and Project->Insert Time/Measures as they don't shift clips/automations every now and then (still have to figure out under what conditions).

Edited by Gabriele Cardinali
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:07 PM, IgoRr said:

Try launching the Cakewalk, and from the already open program through the browser, run this project with the Shift key held down, this allows you to open projects in "safe mode". When loading a project, you can select the tools and plugins that you want or do not want to load, most often in this mode, even if you select ALL items to load, projects in most cases open normally.

This is super helpful, thanks IgoRr.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Casterlin said:

I can't even get this software to run. Looks for audio interfaces then shuts down. So, anyone know of any software to convert all the music I made with cakewak over 25 years to a format I can at least import?

Start a new thread and give us a much information as possible about what audio hardware you're running, any control surfaces, etc and I'd say this will be resolved fast.

This is obviously not the experience of most of us here, the current Cakewalk can happily open projects from 30 years ago with no issue.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

On 5/5/2023 at 1:30 PM, Gabriele Cardinali said:

Hi all,

hope the coming update is going to fix the "Delete Special" (with Delete Hole + Shift by whole measures) and Project->Insert Time/Measures as they don't shift clips/automations every now and then (still have to figure out under what conditions).

With Ripple Edit you don't need to delete special with Delete hole any more

For some reason I can't specify the application, when executed, it loads, but immediately after it closes without any message.

I reinstalled the REDIST files and everything, but I can't get it to run again.

I'm running it on a Dell Notebook, with no asio audio interface.

Any idea ????

• 2 months later...

I was using Cakewalk since the spread sheet inception of Home Studio ... when the UI appeared horazontal. When Gibson’s packed in the support, I wasn’t worried, other DAW companies offered reduced price packages … so I begun recording with a least likely competitor, loaded Band Lab in your earlier years, stayed with X3e

But I have quite a collection of music generated on Sonar platform that been my efforts from me or other artist (midi)

My old Sonar build had its quirks, all DAW do. But my computer is aging, just like me and my next PC will have windows 10 or 11 so I down loaded BandLab’s 2022.11 and give her a try, I’m’ impressed … here is why.

I installed on win 7 on a six core 2011 PC desktop, opened the program and loaded a file, oh my plug in didn’t migrate .. My plug ins are scattered in several places over a dozen years … taken awhile to sort out, regrouped in folder categories, more organized.

The overall UI is great to work with, cool features were easily appreciated and the looks are pleasing. My only quirk with the 3Xe was the handling of multiple strips to assign drum synth multiple outputs and I was impressed with the virtual instrument handling, the default of vertical sound meters was an overlooked feature can easily see the track activity.

I was surprised some song files of yester years, tweaked the mix like the mix down in the lower right corner, nice. The start up past project display is awesome

Great job guys

13 hours ago, Rski said:

I was using Cakewalk since the spread sheet inception of Home Studio ... when the UI appeared horazontal. When Gibson’s packed in the support, I wasn’t worried, other DAW companies offered reduced price packages … so I begun recording with a least likely competitor, loaded Band Lab in your earlier years, stayed with X3e

But I have quite a collection of music generated on Sonar platform that been my efforts from me or other artist (midi)

My old Sonar build had its quirks, all DAW do. But my computer is aging, just like me and my next PC will have windows 10 or 11 so I down loaded BandLab’s 2022.11 and give her a try, I’m’ impressed … here is why.

I installed on win 7 on a six core 2011 PC desktop, opened the program and loaded a file, oh my plug in didn’t migrate .. My plug ins are scattered in several places over a dozen years … taken awhile to sort out, regrouped in folder categories, more organized.

The overall UI is great to work with, cool features were easily appreciated and the looks are pleasing. My only quirk with the 3Xe was the handling of multiple strips to assign drum synth multiple outputs and I was impressed with the virtual instrument handling, the default of vertical sound meters was an overlooked feature can easily see the track activity.

I was surprised some song files of yester years, tweaked the mix like the mix down in the lower right corner, nice. The start up past project display is awesome

Great job guys

Welcome to CbB. Stay tuned to this forum. We're getting a new DAW soon and an upgrade to Sonar very soon. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I noticed the reason for a long time problem:

When I selected a clip (or a MIDI note) with the right mouse button and pressed delete, it seemed nothing had happened! But now I found out that although the clip has been selected, the delete focus is still on the plugin that I had opened before and thus the plugin is deleted instead of the clip! Aaaarg! I lost quite some stuff!

Selecting the clip with a mouse click instead works as expected (but I have avoided this method because sometimes I moved the clip a little bit unintentionally with my unprecise mouse handling!).

My question: Is this intentional behavior that selecting something with the right mouse button does not move the focus?

On 9/4/2023 at 8:09 AM, MarcL said:

Is this intentional behavior that selecting something with the right mouse button does not move the focus?

Selecting a clip or note by any method will not move the track focus, but the most recently selected/highlighted object should most definitely be the target of a delete command regardless of where the track focus is.. I can't replicate what you describe.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Selecting a clip or note by any method will not move the track focus, but the most recently selected/highlighted object should most definitely be the target of a delete command regardless of where the track focus is.. I can't replicate what you describe.

So it looks like it is a bug. I just re-tried and I can reproduce it very simply:

1. New project, new audio track.
  2. Insert any audio clip.
  3. Add a single FX plugin.
  4. Select the clip with the right mouse button (rectangle over the clip region).
  5. Press delete > the FX plugin is deleted!

This happens on 2 very different machines, with CbB 2022.11 . It is especially dangerous if the FX area is out of view (e.g. scrolled away)! It's exactly what happened to me several times.

15 minutes ago, MarcL said:
  4. Select the clip with the right mouse button (rectangle over the clip region).

This happens on 2 very different machines, with CbB 2022.11 .

That's exactly what I did. I'm on the 2023.09 Early Access release, but I'd be very surprised if 22.11 worked any differently.

EDIT: I hadn't initially created a new project, just used one I happened to have created from the Basic template just yesterday to demo some other issue for the Bakers. I can repro your issue with a brand new project both before and after saving , but not in the first project I tried. Then I tried in another older project, and it reproed there... Strange. Not sure what the difference is, but you've got a good recipe so the Bakers should be able to fix it. You should post it in the EA thread.

Edited by David Baay
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

49 minutes ago, MarcL said:

So it looks like it is a bug. I just re-tried and I can reproduce it very simply:

This happens on 2 very different machines, with CbB 2022.11 . It is especially dangerous if the FX area is out of view (e.g. scrolled away)! It's exactly what happened to me several times.

Commands will always target focus first, then selection. Windows apps have always worked this way - the focussed control receives always receives the command, then the command decides what to do.

Right click doesn't always change focus - left click does (or alternatively you can use Tab to move focus around).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

Commands will always target focus first, then selection. Windows apps have always worked this way - the focussed control receives always receives the command, then the command decides what to do.

Right click doesn't always change focus - left click does (or alternatively you can use Tab to move focus around).

Thanks a lot for the explanation! The only thing that I had expected, was that the focus behavior is exactly the same for left click selection and right rectangular selection. But it seems it is not and I will accept this!

As I said earlier the only reason I switched to right rectangular selection is that my hand does not work so precisely and thus with the selection click I often moved the clip a bit and that's fatal!

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Interesting. I can't think of any other computing context in which this distinction is apparent - at least not for a Delete command.  The behavior seems really inconsistent in any case as I noted. The plugin in the bin always continues to have 'focus' marks around it while the plugin UI goes dim when the clip is lassoed, and left-click changes nothing, visually, so it's not possible to know which object is going to get deleted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

Interesting. I can't think of any other computing context in which this distinction is apparent - at least not for a Delete command.  The behavior seems really inconsistent in any case as I noted. The plugin in the bin always continues to have 'focus' marks around it while the plugin UI goes dim when the clip is lassoed, and left-click changes nothing, visually, so it's not possible to know which object is going to get deleted.

Take this example - you have two documents open in word or in a text editor.  You select a range of text in both documents.  You press delete - surely you'd only expect the text from the focused document to be deleted?

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Take this example - you have two documents open in word or in a text editor.  You select a range of text in both documents.  You press delete - surely you'd only expect the text from the focused document to be deleted?

Yes, but that's two distinct applications, and selecting in one or the other reliably moves the focus to that app, includiing by right-click.  Within a single application, I would expect the most recently selected object to have focus, regardless of the selection method.

• Like 1

In this case there's no visible difference between right-click lassoing or left-clicking a clip.  Either way the track number gets highlighted indicating selection and the plugin still retains the white corner selection lines indicating it's still selected.  O.o The only difference between the 2 scenes is what actually gets deleted.

Bug?  Maybe.

BTW,  adding a "Select track" and "Focus track" tool tip when mouse hovering over the track number and track name/blank area may help alleviate confusion as to which is which.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1