2022.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

48 minutes ago, Bill Campbell said:

Start CW.

Result:  CW starts device and device and CW sync OK.  Now...

Go to Edit / Preferences / Metronome

Set the Record Count-in: to 2.

Enable a track to record then start CW.

Result:  CW delays start then sync the external device incorrectly.

Personally, I've found not all devices respect record count - some do, some don't.  My Alesis SR-16 and DataDisk work fine with record count, but we've had a few emails from support from people who's devices (mainly more modern ones), that don't.   

Transmitting SPP is important for count-in, which I see you've got unchecked.  It's important that the device knows it's starting at a negative measure number.

If this doesn't work though, the only way around this is to move the project along a couple of measures and start at zero.

Hi, 

I'm using cakewalk/sonar/bandlab for many years. I love the program and will continue to use it, but with latest version came one problem:

When I'm using a sustain pedal,  MIDI  not stopping/resetting when I hit stop button and it continuing to sound until I restart the audio engine/program.

It's happening to all VST instruments and its very annoying. I've checked "reset on stop" option, but with no success. I have the old SONAR X3 and there is no such problem.

Please help me resolving this issue. Thank you in advance. :)

• Like 1

Unfortunately SPP isn't helping with that.  But THANKS for the call out.....  CW now just ranks at 9.6 instead of 10.0 with that minor little niggle.   Of course if they could get that working it would easily be an 11.9 out of 10! 😉

Edited by Bill Campbell

Hi. For me it's constantly crashes at some point of my work when I stop the playback, faced it with different tracks and different plugins included. After a few tries it crashes and that's it.

Also why there are no updates since november? Any possible updates in the future or is it finally over after so many years of support?

The devs have mentioned recently there's something coming really soon, and it usually means there's some important new feature or some big change that's happened that needs time to get settled.

As far as the crashes goes, it's probably best to start a new thread in the main forum so we can help you work out what's causing it, but if you want fast answers, grab a Crash Dump and get it over to support to check out - they'll be able to see exactly what's going on. Info here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, Porkea said:

Hi. For me it's constantly crashes at some point of my work when I stop the playback, faced it with different tracks and different plugins included. After a few tries it crashes and that's it.

Also why there are no updates since november? Any possible updates in the future or is it finally over after so many years of support?

There haven’t been updates recently because as Lord Tim mentioned there have been both application and back end changes that we have been working on for many months that need to complete before we can release.  Rest assured however that updates are coming. We have typically been releasing on a quarterly cadence of late but its not uncommon for companies to have bi-annual or even annual updates at times when there are much deeper changes being done. 

Please report any crashes by submitting dumps to allow us to investigate. You can either PM to one of us or submit a ticket.

Edited by Noel Borthwick
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

On 4/11/2023 at 9:26 AM, vss1@abv.bg said:

When I'm using a sustain pedal,  MIDI  not stopping/resetting when I hit stop button and it continuing to sound until I restart the audio engine/program.

It's happening to all VST instruments and its very annoying. I've checked "reset on stop" option, but with no success.

Same here.  Very hard to edit this way. I have to either press and release the sustain pedal after each stop with input monitoring on all live VST that are affected or hit the reset midi/audio button.  Otherwise all of the hung notes will actually build up and then it all turns into really bad distortion. This has been this way for several versions now, but wasn’t always the case. 

On 4/11/2023 at 3:26 PM, vss1@abv.bg said:

It's happening to all VST instruments and its very annoying. I've checked "reset on stop" option, but with no success. I have the old SONAR X3 and there is no such problem.

46 minutes ago, Blogospherianman said:

Same here.  Very hard to edit this way. I have to either press and release the sustain pedal after each stop with input monitoring on all live VST that are affected or hit the reset midi/audio button.  Otherwise all of the hung notes will actually build up and then it all turns into really bad distortion. This has been this way for several versions now, but wasn’t always the case. 

Sustain events are just something you have to deal with when using MIDI.  Since the mid 80's when recording MIDI I've got it down to a discipline where I ensure any "part" (e.g. verse, chorus, bridge etc)  starts/ends with a CC #64 at zero,  and if I'm moving any notes around when editing, I'm paying attention to what the sustain pedal is doing.

You have to be equally vigilant with Pitch Wheel and Modulation messages.

Before I went totally in the box with synths, I had a JL Cooper MIDI merge unit which had a panic button on it.  I used it all the time when stopping half way through a section.  The panic button in Cakewalk does exactly the same thing - i.e. sends all notes off / reset all controllers.

49 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Sustain events are just something you have to deal with when using MIDI.  Since the mid 80's when recording MIDI I've got it down to a discipline where I ensure any "part" (e.g. verse, chorus, bridge etc)  starts/ends with a CC #64 at zero,  and if I'm moving any notes around when editing, I'm paying attention to what the sustain pedal is doing.

You have to be equally vigilant with Pitch Wheel and Modulation messages.

Before I went totally in the box with synths, I had a JL Cooper MIDI merge unit which had a panic button on it.  I used it all the time when stopping half way through a section.  The panic button in Cakewalk does exactly the same thing - i.e. sends all notes off / reset all controllers.

I too have been using Synths since the 80s and fully understand how to use Sustain data and pitch data.  I’m very meticulous with regards to CC data.  I’m a very advanced user with years of experience.

I don’t think you understand the issue we are having.

This is an issue of Cakewalk not zeroing the sustain controller upon stopping.  We have the setting for that but it’s clearly not working properly..

With “Reset controllers on stop” checked, the expectation is that notes being sustained should reset to zero thereby stopping the notes from ringing when you press “Stop”.

14 hours ago, Blogospherianman said:

I too have been using Synths since the 80s and fully understand how to use Sustain data and pitch data.  I’m very meticulous with regards to CC data.  I’m a very advanced user with years of experience.

I don’t think you understand the issue we are having.

This is an issue of Cakewalk not zeroing the sustain controller upon stopping.  We have the setting for that but it’s clearly not working properly..

With “Reset controllers on stop” checked, the expectation is that notes being sustained should reset to zero thereby stopping the notes from ringing when you press “Stop”.

If "Zero controllers on stop" is checked,  Pitch Wheel = center, CC#1 (Modulation) = 0 and CC#64 (Sustain Pedal) = 0 are always sent to all MIDI outputs.  Hardware MIDI outputs are also sent CC #121 ( Reset all controllers), however software synths aren't.

You could try adding the following to the [OPTIONS] section of TTSSeq.ini  ( in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\  )

SendResetsToSoftSynths=1

This will force CC#121 to be sent to soft synths as well - just don't use this option with Roland V-Sampler in your project, 'cos it'll crash. 

• Like 1

@Blogospherianman This is a long shot, but if you have MIDI Driver Mode set to MME, without a project loaded, switch to UWP mode.  Yesterday I had the same issue (Stop/Pause didn't turn off sustained notes). This morning I tried a number of things with the test project I created yesterday and with the MIDI Driver Mode set to UWP, the sustain notes did indeed stop.

ADDENDUM:  I just switched between MME and UWP a few times and on my PC the result was consistent with the soft synths I tried. 

Edited by User 905133
Changed "MIDI Mode" to "MIDI Driver Mode" for the sake of clarity

On 4/19/2023 at 3:43 AM, msmcleod said:

You could try adding the following to the [OPTIONS] section of TTSSeq.ini  ( in %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\  )

SendResetsToSoftSynths=1

I tried this and still get the same hung notes.  They continue hanging even after stopping playback and restarting playback even over sections of CC64 = 0.  The notes continue building up regardless of the CC data until the pedal is physically pressed and lifted. (Or until the notes actually fade completely out on their own. Once hung though, the recorded MIDI data doesn’t affect the hung notes in any way, only the pedal. Very strange!

On 4/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, User 905133 said:

This is a long shot, but if you have MIDI Driver Mode set to MME, without a project loaded, switch to UWP mode. 

I tried UWP mode with the exact same results only my MIDI from the keyboard wouldn’t work in that mode. (Double checked Ins and Outs to make sure). Changing back to MME mode restored the keyboard function.  
Both modes exhibited the same behavior in regards to the hung notes.

Thanks Mark and User 905133 for offering your assistance 

Any more ideas? 
✌️

Edited by Blogospherianman

On 4/16/2023 at 8:15 AM, Porkea said:

I have had a couple of issues with crashing in recent versions, there are a few posts further back in this thread about one of the crashes. 

Another one I experienced that was repeatable was crashing when stopping playback when using VST instruments. I managed to cure this one by increasing the buffer size under Audio - Playback and Recording. I can't say for certain that this was specifically related to the latest version of Cakewalk as other things may have changed on my PC. It might be worth a try to see if it makes a difference for you.

On 4/28/2023 at 11:02 AM, Bayan Music said:

Since the update I can no longer open the project. It worked perfectly fine with the previous version.

Cakewalk is stuck at "loading synth data..." and eventually freezes. It's a Kontakt 5 instrument.

Try launching the Cakewalk, and from the already open program through the browser, run this project with the Shift key held down, this allows you to open projects in "safe mode". When loading a project, you can select the tools and plugins that you want or do not want to load, most often in this mode, even if you select ALL items to load, projects in most cases open normally.

• Like 3

Hi!

I am running CW 2022.11 build 021

I've confirmed the new bug regarding the SNAP function in staff view. 

It seems that when I first open Cakewalk, it "forgets" that the Snap Button on the control bar is in the ON position.  Even though this button is lit up, when I insert a note, it doesn't snap to its correct position.  If I turn off and then immediately turn back on the Snap Button, everything then works normally.

But also, during a session, Cakewalk again seems to occasionally "forget" that the Snap Button is turned on, so I turn it off and back on, and, again, everything works as expected.  

Best,

Jerry

• Like 1