2022.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

9 minutes ago, David Baay said:

This is not new to 20.11. You can hit Enter to edit the value.

Wow.
Thanks for the tip.

Editing access via the numerical keyboard has a different behavior for each of the controls!

For one it is DOUBLE CLICK, for another it is to position in the field of pressing ENTER.

Here is a tremendous opportunity for the use of the same rule of use.

DOUBLE CLICK - Return to center or 0.
CLICK + ENTER - Opens for editing via numerical keyboard.

Don't you agree?

6 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Here is a tremendous opportunity for the use of the same rule of use.

DOUBLE CLICK - Return to center or 0.
CLICK + ENTER - Opens for editing via numerical keyboard.

Don't you agree?

I prefer the convention the Volume control uses:

Double-click the control to center/zero it.

Double-click the numeric value to edit it.

But in the Track pane you must hit Enter to enable editing, and you're going to be typing anyway so you might as well hit Enter everywhere.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

5 hours ago, David Baay said:

I prefer the convention the Volume control uses:

Double-click the control to center/zero it.

Double-click the numeric value to edit it.

But in the Track pane you must hit Enter to enable editing, and you're going to be typing anyway so you might as well hit Enter everywhere.

Even better.

Edited by Milton Sica

Thanks for a brilliant update!

The new "Delete all" effects option is very useful, but I find it very unfortunate UX design and counter-intuitive that it's the new top option in the FX bin.

What is the most common reason a user right clicks in an FX bin? The answer to that rhetorical question is arguably: to add an effect. Hence ought "Insert audio effect" be reinstated to its previous top position.

Update: There is a dedicated thread about this very subject.

Suggested new UX design for FX bin right click:

image.png.328b939ca387f3e2c0a072d212c45b29.png

Edited by GreenLight
Added link
  • Like 9

Odd Unmute Glitch:

On a project originally created prior to 2022.11, some PRV notes were muted, the project was also subsequently saved in 2022.11 with no change to the muted notes, but in the PRV clicking each note with the MUTE tool failed to unmute the notes. Cutting the muted notes and associated events and pasting them back to their original position enabled the MUTE tool to unmute them in the PRV as normal... No biggy just an FYI.

4 hours ago, davidtongmusic said:

can't see the "Archived" track sign in space.....wonder if only me Win 7  left behind

I've got 2022.11 running on my Windows 7 boot with no issues.

Without seeing a screen-shot, I can only speculate but:

1. Does widening the track header pane allow it to be seen?
2. Does changing your track control filter to "All" make it re-appear (i.e. does the current track control filter have "Track State" unchecked) ?
3. Are you maybe using an out of date theme?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year!

Since installing 2022.11, when I close a project, Cakewalk hangs (not responding) and I have to close down Cakewalk in Task Manager before relaunching and opening a new project.  I haven't seen any other comments regarding this but curious to know if anyone else is experiencing the same problem?

I've tried reinstalling the 2022.11 update but the issue continues. It also happens if I create a new project with no plugins loaded, so it doesn't appear to be a plugin issue.

Running Windows 11,  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, UAD Apollo Twin USB. System has been rock solid until now. Long term Cakewalk/Sonar user and not had this issue before.  I can work around it or roll back but it would be good to find out why it's happening. Any advice appreciated.

Doesn't seem to something that's widespread, so I'd suggest it's environmental to your setup in some way, most likely a plugin or a driver not releasing. You can help the Bakers track down the cause by getting a crash dump when it hangs next, zipping it, uploading to a file sharing service (eg: Dropbox, Google Drive) and getting it over to support to analyse. Info here:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, immrama said:

Happy New Year!

Since installing 2022.11, when I close a project, Cakewalk hangs (not responding) and I have to close down Cakewalk in Task Manager before relaunching and opening a new project.  I haven't seen any other comments regarding this but curious to know if anyone else is experiencing the same problem?

I've tried reinstalling the 2022.11 update but the issue continues. It also happens if I create a new project with no plugins loaded, so it doesn't appear to be a plugin issue.

Running Windows 11,  Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, UAD Apollo Twin USB. System has been rock solid until now. Long term Cakewalk/Sonar user and not had this issue before.  I can work around it or roll back but it would be good to find out why it's happening. Any advice appreciated.

Hello, Happy New Year!
I had problems when using the advance version (EA) and this happened when autosaving, as I mentioned there.
After installing the production version (2011.22 - 21) the problem was fixed.

I can't detail how and where the correction was. The only attempts I've made is to change some autosave process info which is currently at 60 minutes or 2 changes to the project.

I warn you that I cannot specify if it really was that.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 3:39 PM, Lord Tim said:

Doesn't seem to something that's widespread, so I'd suggest it's environmental to your setup in some way, most likely a plugin or a driver not releasing. You can help the Bakers track down the cause by getting a crash dump when it hangs next, zipping it, uploading to a file sharing service (eg: Dropbox, Google Drive) and getting it over to support to analyse. Info here:

Thanks. I'll do this

9 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Hello, Happy New Year!
I had problems when using the advance version (EA) and this happened when autosaving, as I mentioned there.
After installing the production version (2011.22 - 21) the problem was fixed.

I can't detail how and where the correction was. The only attempts I've made is to change some autosave process info which is currently at 60 minutes or 2 changes to the project.

I warn you that I cannot specify if it really was that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried another reinstall today and experimented with some settings but it's still hanging when I close a project. I'll check  a few more things and if it's still occurring I'll send a crash dump file as suggested by Lord Tim.  

• Like 2

After upgrade: nothing out of outputs 1 & 2 of my Lynx Aurora 24 channel (n).  Cakewalk shows signal but not making it to the Aurora Chs 1&2 only.  (other channels fine - also if I change the track output to 3&4 for instance, it works.)

After trying many options, I deleted windows audio as a startup option, and 1&2 did work on my Lynx output.  But then my motu midi device would not show up.  So I restored the windows audio as a startup app.  Now it all works.  Have no idea why but I am not complaining! ":) :)

This all may be a fluke!

Edited by Alan Bachman

I'm getting some crashes on the latest release. 

The program is just hard quitting when I'm doing things like changing routing, adding aux tracks, and trying to play back a project. This is occuring with zero plugins in the project. It's mostly happening when trying to send multiple (+4) tracks to the same aux or when playing a back a project i'm just setting up. It is limited to this new project, and the only thing different about this project is the new tracks I added to my template 5 minutes prior. 

I'm going to zip this project to cakewalk support, but has anyone experienced anything similar? 

2023-01-10 14-36-10.mkv

Edited by Light Grenade

@Light Grenade, if you go into your Preferences > File > Initialization File and set the Option of ExceptionHandlingSeverity to a value of 7, OK and restart CbB, you might be able to get it to give you a crash error rather than it just  going away.

When it crashes, you should be able to capture a dump too, like Noel talks about here:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

@Light Grenade, if you go into your Preferences > File > Initialization File and set the Option of ExceptionHandlingSeverity to a value of 7, OK and restart CbB, you might be able to get it to give you a crash error rather than it just  going away.

When it crashes, you should be able to capture a dump too, like Noel talks about here:

Thanks very much. I looked for a dump file before but nothing was there. I made your suggested changes and a dump file has been created - I'll send over to support.

• Like 1

Just now, Light Grenade said:

Thanks very much. I looked for a dump file before but nothing was there. I made your suggested changes and a dump file has been created - I'll send over to support.

Excellent - that'll definitely help track the issue down faster, hopefully it gets sorted out for you soon :) 

• Thanks 1