2022.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

39 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Based on the dump file BBC Symphony Orchestra (64 Bit).vst3 is what's crashing.

I experienced issues with the same plugin when trying to delete tracks from it. The information on Errors Fixed in this version states:

Crash deleting instrument track with Spitfire Audio BBC Symphony Orchestra

Could it be something related to the correction made?

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Based on the dump file BBC Symphony Orchestra (64 Bit).vst3 is what's crashing.

Thanks for the feedback.

The same project using BBCSO is working fine after rolling back to 2022.09 and also worked without issues in previous versions so it does appear to be related to something in the update. Is there anything else I can test or information that I can provide to help narrow it down?

12 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The dump file you sent is NOT from the 2022.11 release. In fact its a crash from a 2022.09 build. 
Are you sure that you are running the latest version, or did you send the wrong dump file? Clearly the same crash occurred in 09.

Admittedly I didn't pay any attention to the time on the minidump, I just took the latest one that was there which must have been from after I rolled back. It is strange as after I rolled back to 2011.09 I didn't notice any crash and I played through the project several times without any problems. I also worked with it at least once since posting without any issues. I just opened it up to test again and it crashed first play through!

Looks like there must be something else going on on my system that is a least somewhat intermittent. I have feeling this could be a tricky one to nail down.

Thank you for taking a look. 

Incorrect last step displayed in undo history (Win 7). Don't know if this only happens if you're on Windows 7, but ever since the last update when I go to Edit/Undo, the last step being displayed is not the last action I performed- which freaked me out, but it actually does undo your last action, so it seems to be just a glitch in the name of the step being displayed, but not the actual step itself. Doesn't seem to happen every time, but not 100% sure. If you open the history menu the steps are displayed in the correct order. 

• Like 1

I had severe glitches with version 2022.09 and 2022.11. I just upgraded to a new super powerful Windows 10 gaming computer, and I'm having the same problem. 2022.06 is rock solid. 

The problem seems to occur when I have MIDI tracks assigned to my Yamaha keyboard and a VST on another track. Cakewalk boots out with no warning, so there is no log of what happened.  Occasionally, I get booted out after just 10 seconds of playback. All work unsaved is lost.

I was wondering if I take a video of what my project consists of and how I get booted out, if someone from Cakewalk can help me prevent this from happening or maybe modify their software. 

Edited by Laurence Levin

13 minutes ago, Laurence Levin said:

I had severe glitches with version 2022.09 and 2022.11. I just upgraded to a new super powerful Windows 10 gaming computer, and I'm having the same problem. 2022.06 is rock solid. 

The problem seems to occur when I have MIDI tracks assigned to my keyboard and a VST on another track. Cakewalk boots out with no warning, so there is no log of what happened.  Occasionally, I get booted out after just 10 seconds of playback. All work unsaved is lost.

I was wondering if I take a video of what my project consists of and how I get booted out, if someone from Cakewalk can help me prevent this from happening or maybe modify their software. 

If you are not receiving any dump files in 

%AppData%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Minidumps

try temporarily setting ExceptionHandlingSeverity to 7 in Preferences > File > Initialization File. This may force a dump.

May also want to re-install the MS redistributable libraries

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pinguinotuerto said:

Incorrect last step displayed in undo history...

I can confirm getting it on Win10 too. Can't say if it happens every time or randomly as I developed habit of ignoring the displayed action and just carefully checking everything I undo (typically with keyboard shortcut). Quite possible the issue goes back up to Sonar times. Bit freaking indeed :D 

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 3:40 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Its not your system. The crash is from the plugin. Only the developer can solve it since it crashes in their code.

+1 to this. I'm a big fan of Spitfire, and a user of BBCSO, and it's great. But it is kind of twitchy, and they're not great on bug fixing.

If you want a hacky workaround to explore, I've found that it sometimes behaves better in non-ASIO driver modes. But a lot is dependent on what interface and what drivers you have; I've not found a consistent pattern across different setups.

20 hours ago, scook said:

If you are not receiving any dump files in 

%AppData%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Minidumps

try temporarily setting ExceptionHandlingSeverity to 7 in Preferences > File > Initialization File. This may force a dump.

May also want to re-install the MS redistributable libraries

OK, I'm back in 2022.11. So far so good. :) 

18 hours ago, chris.r said:

I can confirm getting it on Win10 too. Can't say if it happens every time or randomly as I developed habit of ignoring the displayed action and just carefully checking everything I undo (typically with keyboard shortcut). Quite possible the issue goes back up to Sonar times. Bit freaking indeed :D 

Thanks for letting me know. I never had this issue in Sonar, nor did I notice it with the previous version on CbB. 

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 3:40 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Its not your system. The crash is from the plugin. Only the developer can solve it since it crashes in their code.

16 hours ago, John T said:

+1 to this. I'm a big fan of Spitfire, and a user of BBCSO, and it's great. But it is kind of twitchy, and they're not great on bug fixing.

If you want a hacky workaround to explore, I've found that it sometimes behaves better in non-ASIO driver modes. But a lot is dependent on what interface and what drivers you have; I've not found a consistent pattern across different setups.

Fully understand Noel's point about the plugin crashing but, as sometimes it is ok and other times it crashes there must be some interaction that is triggering it. I would like to find what that is and try to avoid it as I don't expect there is likely to be a quick fix from the developer.

I have updated again to 2022.11 Update 1 and done some more testing. What I have found so far is that increasing the buffer size has reduced the crashing the point were it now only crashes at the end of playback. The sound will still stop during playback with the meters for the master bus and another bus that I have set up for reverb going to max which I assume is the cause of the crack from the speakers. The track meters continue to show normal playback levels. If I stop playback the meters for both of these busses remain at max while none of the track meters are showing any levels. Lowering the fader has no affect on the meters until they are all the way down. Moving the faders up any amount sends the meters back to max. If I bypass then turn back on the effects rack on these buses the sound starts to work again. I have tried deleting the bus with the reverb and removing all effects form the master bus but this makes to difference. Even with no effects bypassing and turning back on the effects rack restores the sound to working. 

I have also re-crated one of the projects from scratch with the same routing/effects and copied and pasted the clips from the original project to the new one. I have tested this one a several times over the last few days and it has been working flawlessly. Unfortunately this is a laborious workaround and as I have not found the actual cause I am not confident that the new project won't start to exhibit the same behaviour eventually.

I appreciate that troubleshooting these kinds of issues is very frustrating and laborious. Its an insane number of permutations of things that can cause such problems so unfortunately thats the only way. If you come up with a recipe that we can reproduce we can try and isolate it further and communicate with the developer in more technical terms.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 2:36 AM, chris.r said:

I can confirm that I also have seen the undo action displaying incorrect information and this can be confusing; i.e. it will suggest that it's doing the change previous to the one that it is actually doing.

If you undo and then redo and then look at the undo activity it will be correct

@Noel Borthwick - is this one you've seen before? Happy to try and get together some more evidence around it when I next have Cakewalk open.
I don't believe it's consistent, but I've definitely encountered it a number of times across different projects/builds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

i.e. it will suggest that it's doing the change previous to the one that it is actually doing.

yes, that is exactly my observation as well, it's displaying the previous last action instead of the last one

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Simon Fletcher said:

I can confirm that I also have seen the undo action displaying incorrect information and this can be confusing; i.e. it will suggest that it's doing the change previous to the one that it is actually doing.

@Noel Borthwick - is this one you've seen before? Happy to try and get together some more evidence around it when I next have Cakewalk open.
I don't believe it's consistent, but I've definitely encountered it a number of times across different projects/builds.

This menu display quirk indeed goes way back and is pretty consistent. I reported it in 2013 (!) with a recipe that had it showing not just the previous action but going back four actions.  That recipe still works. I also noted in that report that a Delete event is always displayed as "De&lete" with an ampersand which also persists to this day. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, David Baay said:

This menu display quirk indeed goes way back and is pretty consistent. I reported it in 2013 (!) with a recipe that had it showing not just the previous action but going back four actions.  That recipe still works. I also noted in that report that a Delete event is always displayed as "De&lete" with an ampersand which also persists to this day. 

Ah cool - sounds like you've already got a working test case then
Still if any other evidence is needed I'll happily go and put something together