2022.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

I have noticed that the quick group feature does not work if I change values with the mouse scroll wheel (volume, pan). If I do the same value change with mouse dragging, then it works as expected. Shouldn't it also work with the mouse wheel?

After installing 2022.11 I am having an issue with audio dropping out and Cakewalk crashing. Sometimes there will be a crackle from the speakers and audio stops even through playback is continuing. I will get a crackle from the speakers when clicking play and clicking stop. Clicking run/stop audio engine also produces a crackle. Sometimes there is a crackle during playback and Cakewalk crashes.

I have done some troubleshooting and it appears to be related to the Focusrite Scarlet Solo interface. I tested with a different interface (Yamaha MODX synth) and did not experience the problem. I also tried all combinations of MMCSS settings, but it did not make any difference. Also updated the driver for the Scarlet but that also didn't make any difference.

I have rolled back to 2022.09 and all is well again. I have attached a crash dump from 2022.11 Update 1.

Cakewalk.exe.17432.dmp.zip

2 hours ago, marled said:

I have noticed that the quick group feature does not work if I change values with the mouse scroll wheel (volume, pan). If I do the same value change with mouse dragging, then it works as expected. Shouldn't it also work with the mouse wheel?

In theory yes. It was likely not implemented for that gesture.

• Thanks 1

Noticed slight improvement in project loading speed.

"Show Clip Stretch amount to 2 decimal places" - an excellent improvement. I actually struggled with that a little bit, since I've noticed entering 2 decimals actually changed the stretch amount, but I could never see what the value actually was, needed to remember it.

Toast notifications working as they should.

Multidock windows order remembered correctly on project opening.

Group bin FX On/Off, Insert and Delete - another great improvement.

One of the best updates of late.

39 minutes ago, Olaf said:

"Show Clip Stretch amount to 2 decimal places" - an excellent improvement. I actually struggled with that a little bit, since I've noticed entering 2 decimals actually changed the stretch amount, but I could never see what the value actually was, needed to remember it.

Hello. This was a request I made and the explanation of the calculation that follows was given to me by @msmcleod.

The clarification on how the calculation is done was born from my understanding, wrong, that if I increased the BPM of the song by 10%, it would also suffice to stretch the line by -10%.

My miscalculation example:

Original BPM: 110
10% increase = 11
Final BPM: 121

I thought that the reduction in stretch should be 90%, but no.

This is the correct calculation in the application algorithm approach.

See calculation example: If you want to change it from 110 bpm to 120 bpm, then stretch it as you originally did using CTRL + SHIFT + drag, but by 91.66% - i.e. ( 100 / 120 ) * 110

The result of this operation displays more than one decimal place. The display now allows you to perform the calculation and get much closer to synchrony.

Edited by Milton Sica

I opened an old Sonar 32 bit CWP and selected all the tracks with an old 32 bit Waves EQ and while holding down the Control key,  right clicked one of them and chose "replace  audio FX".  I then chose Sonitus EQ. About half of the tracks correctly replaced the EQ.

All the ones that didn't  had only 1 FX in the FX bin - Waves EQ.  Any track that had more than 1 FX in the FX bin did replace the FX correctly.  I then selected all the tracks that didn't do this correctly and chose Replace audio FX, this worked for the remainder of the tracks. Has anyone else noticed this?

Noel, I compared the ID's and there's only 1 number difference and I looked more closely at the Waves EQ and 1 was mono and 1 was stereo, both were 32 bit. . So now it makes sense. You're right it works as expected

• Like 1

Two glitches that have appeared - not sure if they are related to the last update, as I've been guest in another studio and haven't worked on Cakewalk for a few months, but here they are:

1. Freezing occasionally causes CW to crash and exit with no warning. This happens both for audio tracks and VST instrument tracks. It seems to happen only when the session has been played a few times (i.e. all the plugins have been exercised), while if I just open the project and begin freezing, all is generally well.

Normally I would chalk it down to some bad plugin effect, but in this project I've used the usual mix of effects that I always use, with one exception (the Vital VST instrument below) - but the crash happens when attempting to freeze completely unrelated tracks too.

I write this after reading (in the CW Facebook group) that other people have had similar sudden exit crashes when freezing.

2. On some VST instruments, if playback is stopped while the instrument is playing, the currently note is occasionally "latched" on and keeps playing uninterruptedly , and I have to open the instrument interface and explicitly click the virtual keyboard to stop it (even as the transport is in "stop").

This seems quite random and happens with the Vital VST above - a synth that I recently installed and used in this project.

I was putting it down to a bug in this specific synth but then I read on the CW Facebook group that other people were having the same issue with synths they'd used far longer.

None of this is a showstopper - more a show-slower :)   once you know it and take care of saving before any freeze attempt, and to make sure the instrument is not playing when you export - but if you guys have worked on the FX chain for plugins, maybe something has gone wrong there? Just guessing.

Thanks!

Edited by Cristiano Sadun

2 hours ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

1. On some VST instruments, if playback is stopped while the instrument is playing, the currently note is occasionally "latched" on and keeps playing uninterruptedly , and I have to open the instrument interface and explicitly click the virtual keyboard to stop it (even as the transport is in "stop").

This seems quite random and happens with the Vital VST above - a synth that I recently installed and used in this project.

I have the equal problema, but in another Plugin: Accordion !

2 hours ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

On some VST instruments, if playback is stopped while the instrument is playing, the currently note is occasionally "latched" on and keeps playing uninterruptedly , and I have to open the instrument interface and explicitly click the virtual keyboard to stop it (even as the transport is in "stop").

I'm seeing this too - Korg MS20 is one, as is Novation Bass Station.

3 hours ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

Two glitches that have appeared - not sure if they are related to the last update, as I've been guest in another studio and haven't worked on Cakewalk for a few months, but here they are:

1. Freezing occasionally causes CW to crash and exit with no warning. This happens both for audio tracks and VST instrument tracks. It seems to happen only when the session has been played a few times (i.e. all the plugins have been exercised), while if I just open the project and begin freezing, all is generally well.

Normally I would chalk it down to some bad plugin effect, but in this project I've used the usual mix of effects that I always use, with one exception (the Vital VST instrument below) - but the crash happens when attempting to freeze completely unrelated tracks too.

I write this after reading (in the CW Facebook group) that other people have had similar sudden exit crashes when freezing.

2. On some VST instruments, if playback is stopped while the instrument is playing, the currently note is occasionally "latched" on and keeps playing uninterruptedly , and I have to open the instrument interface and explicitly click the virtual keyboard to stop it (even as the transport is in "stop").

I was putting it down to a bug in this specific synth but then I read on the CW Facebook group that other people were having the same issue with synths they'd used far longer.

None of this is a showstopper - more a show-slower :)   once you know it and take care of saving before any freeze attempt, and to make sure the instrument is not playing when you export - but if you guys have worked on the FX chain for plugins, maybe something has gone wrong there? Just guessing.

Thanks!

Re 1.  Please try setting BounceFlushTailsMaxDurationSec to 0 in preferences configuration file and see if that prevents the crash.

Re 2.  Try turning on Send All Notes off on Stop under VST settings

image.png

On 12/6/2022 at 7:23 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Re 1.  Please try setting BounceFlushTailsMaxDurationSec to 0 in preferences configuration file and see if that prevents the crash.

Re 2.  Try turning on Send All Notes off on Stop under VST settings

Thank you! Done, let's see how things go. Much appreciated!

-Cris

10 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I made the settings recommended by @Noel Borthwick and I just had a reproduction of the stuck note issue in the Accordion plugin.

So I don't think the solution for this problem is in the guidelines.

@Noel Borthwick 

Sequence report of the occurrence of getting the banknote stuck.

The project became unresponsive and exited.

I opened the project again and commanded the playback noticing that a plugin note was stuck, even with the settings you guided.

I went to Preferences->VST Settings and unchecked and rechecked the box "Send all notes...." and apply.

After applying, the stuck note immediately stopped.

Same experience, unfortunately, both the synth sticking and the occasional crash in freezing are still there.

One more thing I've noticed- I needed to focus on an individual note so I did what I normally do - mark it so to loop over it -and surprisingly this also crashed the project the hard way. The section was less than a second and it seems like CW struggles to reset the FX repeatedly in such a short time.

(As a note, the "hard way" is   the one when attempting playback there's  a series of distortion clicks but no sound, and the project cannot be recovered no matter what. Disabling all FX brings the sound back, but when re-enabling them the project still does not work. Short of deleting all FX and restarting, the only solution is to discard and reload it from a recent copy. The most classic plugin causing that type of failure when used in in CbB used to be VX-64 Vocal Strip from Sonar times... I dont know if it's been  fixed since but I stopped using as it was randomly corrupting the entire project).

Now it can well be that this loop issue it's unrelated - this project has several synths, 60+ plugins and the machine running it is not super powerful, and of course it could be a rogue plugin. I mention it only in case it rings a bell, something seems a little off in the FX insert chain or with VST3s in general.

I think I'm using all stereo FX, if it means something.

Cheers! 

Edited by Cristiano Sadun

On 12/1/2022 at 9:10 PM, Alastair Cardwell said:

After installing 2022.11 I am having an issue with audio dropping out and Cakewalk crashing. Sometimes there will be a crackle from the speakers and audio stops even through playback is continuing. I will get a crackle from the speakers when clicking play and clicking stop. Clicking run/stop audio engine also produces a crackle. Sometimes there is a crackle during playback and Cakewalk crashes.

I have done some troubleshooting and it appears to be related to the Focusrite Scarlet Solo interface. I tested with a different interface (Yamaha MODX synth) and did not experience the problem. I also tried all combinations of MMCSS settings, but it did not make any difference. Also updated the driver for the Scarlet but that also didn't make any difference.

I have rolled back to 2022.09 and all is well again. I have attached a crash dump from 2022.11 Update 1.

Cakewalk.exe.17432.dmp.zip 2.08 MB · 0 downloads

Any suggestions or feedback on this issue?

I notice the crash dump hasn't been downloaded. Is it incorrect? Do I need to send it somewhere else instead?