2022.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@ku7431 we actually ran into this after installing an update to the latest version of Visual Studio. We have a fix for it but we assumed that end users would not run into it so we were deferring it to the next release.
By any chance do you have Visual Studio 2022 installed?

I have visual studio 2022 installed

Hello there!

Faced such a problem: in a new project, when playing VST-synthesizers, the sound periodically disappears, starting from some note.
I've had this problem before, but didn't pay attention.
When rendering, everything is in order, all notes are played.

How to fix it? It's very strange (((

@Noel Borthwick  @Jonathan Sasor

Edited by Asato Maa

I received the update notice (Update available 2022.11) when I launched Cakewalk this morning.  However, when I attempt to install it I get a message that says:

This installer requires Cakewalk by Bandlab version 2022.06

My current version is 2022.9 (Build 027, 64bit).

How do i fix this?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, tdehan said:

I received the update notice (Update available 2022.11) when I launched Cakewalk this morning.  However, when I attempt to install it I get a message that says:

This installer requires Cakewalk by Bandlab version 2022.06

My current version is 2022.9 (Build 027, 64bit).

How do i fix this?

Thanks!

If you go to your C:\Users\<username>\Downloads\Cakewalk folder, what is the most recent installer version you have in there? 

On 11/16/2022 at 1:07 PM, tulamide said:

After this update, most of my plugins need a long time to open and Cakewalk freezes during that time (with the audio engine still running). There is some activity on my SSD, but nothing heavy. I use Microsoft's built-in Defender, no additional AV. And I didn't change any settings.

Some plugins involved (there are too many to mention all), all as 64 bit VST3: Synthmaster, Breaktweaker, Pneuma, Orb Synth, Thorn, SampleTank 4, and many more.

Will this be ignored then?
Old version = everything's fine.
New version = plugins bring Cakewalk to a halt

One example, trying to open the GUI of Breaktweaker takes approximately 20 seconds, with Cakewalk being marked as unresponsive by Windows.

We're talking of the same plugins and the same projects on the same system and the same hardware, with the only difference being Cakewalk updated to 2022.11!

Win 10 Pro, 21H2, Build: 19044.2251, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6c/12t, 16 GB RAM, several SSDs and a mechanical drive

Do I need to mention that no other app gets to a halt when loading something? Well, no other app (from games to video editing) behaves like that.

Have you actually tried the rollback process to the prior version (2022.09) or are you speaking anecdotally based on what you observed after install.
Also its important to note which version you were running BEFORE you installed 2022.11. If you had a much older version that you aren’t comparing apples to apples. Most of the time slowdowns like this are caused by AV programs or other tools interfering with the process of loading dll’s by aggressively checking them.
Comparing other apps is meaningless because they are not loading 3rd party dll’s
Another thing to try is to run the FULL installer which is linked on the release notes post, then reboot your system make sure other apps are not running and try again.

It's odd because there are no plugin related changes in 2022.11 compared to 2022.09. There are a few completely unrelated features that would not change this behavior and we don't observe this behavior.
Is this happening with all your projects or only a specific one. Please try and pare down your project to try and troubleshoot it further and find what tracks/plugins specifically are causing the slowdown. Then PM me a link to a zip file with the project that exhibits the problem and we can try and replicate it here if possible. Also if you have a second PC to try the same test it would be useful.

This article has some details on troubleshooting plugin related compatibility issues that might be useful.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

If you go to your C:\Users\<username>\Downloads\Cakewalk folder, what is the most recent installer version you have in there? 

Same as what I mentioned.  2022.9 (Build 027, 64bit).

So, how do I fix this in order to install 2022.11?  Or is there some issue with this version that is causing this?

Thanks

Edited by tdehan
added more info

When I installed this version, I had a glitch.

I'm using my MIDI keyboard in a project, and I have an instrument definition file for it.

A MIDI percussion track had annoying triangle notes that I wanted to get rid of. In PRV, I found the triangle notes, clicked where it said triangle. The note events darkened like they were selected, but when I pressed delete, nothing happened. But if selected the notes with my cursor and pressed delete on my keyboard, they disappeared. 

Does restarting the computer after an install help? 

21 hours ago, tdehan said:

Same as what I mentioned.  2022.9 (Build 027, 64bit).

So, how do I fix this in order to install 2022.11?  Or is there some issue with this version that is causing this?

Thanks

If you're installing the new update, you should have an installer called Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_28.11.0.013.exe. If you're on the 2022.09 update, this installer will run to get you to the current version. If not, then it sounds like there's a discrepancy with the version checking on your system.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

If you're installing the new update, you should have an installer called Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_28.11.0.013.exe. If you're on the 2022.09 update, this installer will run to get you to the current version. If not, then it sounds like there's a discrepancy with the version checking on your system.

This is happening on all 4 of my PCs with 2022.09 installed.    And yes, the downloaded installed is called Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_28.11.0.013.exe.  With that said, how do I fix this issue?

Thanks

On 11/22/2022 at 8:47 AM, tulamide said:

Yes.
And the prior version is 2022.09
I also don't experience this issue with my other DAWs, for example Waveform and FL Studio.
As I wrote, I don't use any AV other than Windows Defender.
I will happily try the full installer.

@tulamide since you are the only one reporting this issue can you please try the latest build we posted.
There is a change that may resolve the issue you were seeing where some plugins could slow down project load times.

27 minutes ago, tdehan said:

This is happening on all 4 of my PCs with 2022.09 installed.    And yes, the downloaded installed is called Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Update_Setup_28.11.0.013.exe.  With that said, how do I fix this issue?

Thanks

Try the installer in the Update 1 Early Access post that Noel linked above.

I fixed the issue.  After downloading 2022.11 and trying to install unsuccessfuly by clicking on INSTALL from within Cakewalk, I ran the install straight from the .exe downloaded in my DOWNLOAD folder.  It installed successfully with no issues.

Thanks 

Edited by tdehan

I'm sorry, for answering only now. I'm not online daily. I tested installing from the full installer, which didn't solve it. I also noticed, that Cakewalk has another hang time right after stopping transport. It takes 2 to 3 seconds during which the standard windows "busy" cursor is displayed and Cakewalk's GUI unresponsive. I had this behavior a long time ago, when I still had a completely different PC and way older CW version (early 2019 or so). Regarding the plugins, it seems that those involved are either big .vst3 files, or use samples. However, this is only true for some, not for all. While at the same time, some other VST3 with sample access or with big file size don't lead to Cakewalk hanging.

It leaves me puzzled, so I will definitely try the early access and report! Thanks!

On 11/23/2022 at 10:56 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@tulamide since you are the only one reporting this issue can you please try the latest build we posted.
There is a change that may resolve the issue you were seeing where some plugins could slow down project load times.

Edited by tulamide