2022.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

Hi all - please use this topic to post feedback specific to the 2022.11 release. Release-specific feedback is valuable to us, and consolidating it in a single topic is extremely helpful.

We request that  discussion in this thread be restricted to issues directly concerning this release, to make it easier for us to assist users. For other topics, kindly use the feature request section or create new posts.  Off topic messages will be deleted.

Thanks in advance!

2022.11 Release Notes

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

Great update, love all of the new features. 

Since updating, some plugins are intermittently opening as a blank white screen. If I open one of the offending plugins when a mix is playing back, it can lock up the project and it instantly closes with no error message. 

Offending plugins, I can tell are

• Sonnox Drum Gate
  • Oeksound Soothe
  • Izotope Neoverb 
  • Soundtheory Gulfoss 
  • Softube American Class A
  • Native Instruments Replika 

I have tested the same plugins in Reaper, and I don't get the same problem. I have also updated all of my drivers and W10 is on the current build. This is intermittent, and only seems to happen when a project gets heavier. 

I'm also getting an intermittent error message during auto-saving which says 'Cannot find or open file' 

And two intermittent error messages when trying to export 

• When trying to export and MP3 - ''An unknown error occurred during processing, possibly caused by an invalid parameter''
  • When trying to export a WAV - ''Catastrophic failure'' 

These issues might not be related to this build exactly, but they have only cropped up since updating. I am using no new plugins.

3 hours ago, Light Grenade said:

Since updating, some plugins are intermittently opening as a blank white screen. If I open one of the offending plugins when a mix is playing back, it can lock up the project and it instantly closes with no error message. 

• Sonnox Drum Gate
  • Oeksound Soothe
  • Izotope Neoverb 
  • Soundtheory Gulfoss 

I have tested the same plugins in Reaper, and I don't get the same problem. I have also updated all of my drivers and W10 is on the current build. This is intermittent, and only seems to happen when a project gets heavier. 

I'm also getting an intermittent error message during auto-saving which says 'Cannot find or open file' 

• When trying to export and MP3 - ''An unknown error occurred during processing, possibly caused by an invalid parameter''

These issues might not be related to this build exactly, but they have only cropped up since updating. I am using no new plugins.

Double check all of your project folders, VST folders, plugin folders and any sample library directories are excluded from virus scans & cloud sync applications.

The errors you are describing are typical of some other application or service temporarily blocking access to a file.

4 hours ago, Light Grenade said:

• Sonnox Drum Gate
  • Oeksound Soothe
  • Izotope Neoverb 
  • Soundtheory Gulfoss 

There are no changes to 2022.11 we know of that could change this behavior.
Which build were you running prior to updating? You can always roll back and test if the problem is new to this release.
Also try running the full installer linked here: 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Light Grenade said:

I have carefully checked all the plugins you mentioned and everything works without any anomalies. I specially conducted an experiment - I added all these plug-ins to one track with the instrument (Spectrasonics Keyscape), and everything works properly. Each of the plugins opens properly, only Native Instruments Replica opens with a delay, but this was the case in the previous two versions, I am completely sure that these are features of the latest version of the plugin itself. I want to emphasize that I do not have a discrete video card, I work on the Intel HD 630 Graphics integrated into the processor.

I had a couple of times in all the time when, after installing the latest version on top of the previous one, some small anomalies appeared, but never such serious ones. Try to completely uninstall Cakewalk, clean out all folders and files, check the registry, and clean install this latest version, in 99.99% of cases, all problems are completely solved in this way.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

There are no changes to 2022.11 we know of that could change this behavior.
Which build were you running prior to updating? You can always roll back and test if the problem is new to this release.
Also try running the full installer linked here: 

1 hour ago, IgoRr said:

I have carefully checked all the plugins you mentioned and everything works without any anomalies. I specially conducted an experiment - I added all these plug-ins to one track with the instrument (Spectrasonics Keyscape), and everything works properly. Each of the plugins opens properly, only Native Instruments Replica opens with a delay, but this was the case in the previous two versions, I am completely sure that these are features of the latest version of the plugin itself. I want to emphasize that I do not have a discrete video card, I work on the Intel HD 630 Graphics integrated into the processor.

I had a couple of times in all the time when, after installing the latest version on top of the previous one, some small anomalies appeared, but never such serious ones. Try to completely uninstall Cakewalk, clean out all folders and files, check the registry, and clean install this latest version, in 99.99% of cases, all problems are completely solved in this way.

Thanks both. 

I will try rolling back first and see if that fixes it. Just to re-iterate, this only happens when projects get heavy, and normally when opening during playback (attached example of project size)

Upon second testing, NI Replika opens fine, it's the others that have problems, and all these plugins have very responsive GUI's (waveforms, live input display etc), so I'm wondering if the commonalities here mean something. 

I'm due to start freezing things soon too, my system might be acting up as it's pretty close to the edge. On another note, it's great being able to run a session this big without dropouts, freezing or bouncing!

Edited by Light Grenade

Regarding this: 

The Use MMCSS option in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Playback and Recording now excludes setting MMCSS for ASIO drivers by default. 

If your ASIO driver supports MMCSS by default, no action is needed. If your ASIO driver has an MMCSS option in its control panel, you need to explicitly enable it now to get MMCSS performance from the driver.

If MMCSS isn't supported, you can explicitly select Enable MMCSS for ASIO Driver to get MMCSS performance from the driver.

To check if the driver is running in MMCSS mode, hover over the performance toolbar and it should show the Audio Thread Priority as "Realtime". If it shows "Time Critical" or something else, try enabling MMCSS for the driver.

My performance tool bar read "Time Critical" when I hovered over it.  So I followed the above steps, and it still says "Time Critical." Do I need to change something else? I'm using a Focusrite 4i4 Gen 3. The Focusrite Control software doesn't mention anything about MMCSS . Not sure if the 4i4 supports MMCSS? I've reached out to Focusrite to find out.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billy86 said:

Regarding this: 

The Use MMCSS option in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Playback and Recording now excludes setting MMCSS for ASIO drivers by default. 

If your ASIO driver supports MMCSS by default, no action is needed. If your ASIO driver has an MMCSS option in its control panel, you need to explicitly enable it now to get MMCSS performance from the driver.

If MMCSS isn't supported, you can explicitly select Enable MMCSS for ASIO Driver to get MMCSS performance from the driver.

To check if the driver is running in MMCSS mode, hover over the performance toolbar and it should show the Audio Thread Priority as "Realtime". If it shows "Time Critical" or something else, try enabling MMCSS for the driver.

My performance tool bar read "Time Critical" when I hovered over it.  So I followed the above steps, and it still says "Time Critical." Do I need to change something else? I'm using a Focusrite 4i4 Gen 3. The Focusrite Control software doesn't mention anything about MMCSS . Not sure if the 4i4 supports MMCSS? I've reached out to Focusrite to find out.

Thanks. 

IIRC, "Time Critical" is the highest priority available, which is a good thing for the audio thread.

There are 7 priority classes, of which "Realtime" is the highest.  Within each of the priority classes there is a priority level, of which "Time Critical" is the highest.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/procthread/scheduling-priorities

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Billy86 said:

Regarding this: 

Thanks. 

Focusrite doesn't appear to be setting up MMCSS as I would expect it. I see the same on my system with the latest driver on a 6i6. The driver does not run at realtime priority (24 and above) and the driver doesn't allow us to change its priority either (the attempt fails) so there is nothing you can do to increase it. I'll get in touch with them and report it in case they are unaware of this.
BTW the labels Time Critical and Realtime are just labels I put there to help with diagnosis. Time critical is the priority that our threads run at WITHOUT MMCSS enabled, which is lower than what they can go to. MMCSS priorities allow the audio engine and driver to run at much higher priorities thereby minimizing other system interference leading to audio glitches.
To actually check MMCSS priorities accurately you need to use a specialized tool like Process Explorer. We can't check it easily in the application.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

IIRC, "Time Critical" is the highest priority available, which is a good thing for the audio thread.

There are 7 priority classes, of which "Realtime" is the highest.  Within each of the priority classes there is a priority level, of which "Time Critical" is the highest.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/procthread/scheduling-priorities

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, that is all a foreign language to me. Maybe I don’t understand whether or not running in MMCSS mode is better than non-MMCSS. It’s touted as a new feature, so I’m thinking there’s a performance benefit to it? The announcement says: “To check if the driver is running in MMCSS mode, hover over the performance toolbar and it should show the Audio Thread Priority as "Realtime".

My performance toolbar doesn’t read, “Realtime” after going through the suggested steps, which would indicate I’m not running in MMCSS mode, a mode that I assume is better performance-wise than non-MMCSS. 

11 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Focusrite doesn't appear to be setting up MMCSS as I would expect it. I see the same on my system with the latest driver on a 6i6. The driver does not run at realtime priority (24 and above) and the driver doesn't allow us to change its priority either (the attempt fails) so there is nothing you can do to increase it. I'll get in touch with them and report it in case they are unaware of this.
BTW the labels Time Critical and Realtime are just labels I put there to help with diagnosis. Time critical is the priority that our threads run at WITHOUT MMCSS enabled, which is lower than what they can go to. MMCSS priorities allow the audio engine and driver to run at much higher priorities thereby minimizing other system interference leading to audio glitches.
To actually check MMCSS priorities accurately you need to use a specialized tool like Process Explorer. We can't check it easily in the application.

Thanks for letting me know my Focusrite doesn’t support it. That does seem surprising, but good to know it’s not user error. 🥴

@msmcleod I detected very strange behavior. After a change I made in the preferences of the audio settings for ASIO, I was informed if I would prefer to change it to WASAPI, because I'm running on a DELL notebook where I only have Realtek installed, the mouse pointer started to have a round gif, like if it was operating something, but in fact it works whenever any menu option is pressed. The mouse continues to function normally, but with the pointer changed.

I changed it to Wasapi Shared and the application made the mouse pointer available again.

Edited by Milton Sica

On 11/11/2022 at 11:11 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

So, does this mean that for those of us with Focusrite interfaces/drivers there is no benefit, for now,  in enabling this new MMCSS setting in CW?

AND as to your comment on using Process Explorer, is this to suggest that setting the priority for Cakewalk there should have an effect within CW? When I do so (for example I choose realtime: 24 within Process Explorer - as shown in attached screenshot), and with MMCSS enabled or not in Settings in CW, the label shown when hovering over the Performance Module does not change/still shows Time Critical (15).

Also,  so much thanks for the continued improvements!

Screenshot 2022-11-14 160640.jpg

Edited by winkpain
New info

HELP.

My exports are coming out weird since I did the update.

At first I assumed it was a plugin as it's usually the case but I ran a mix with all the plugins bypassed and the issue persisted.

Please see attached file Urban Pacification Mix 1 to hear the issue.

The only way around it seems to be to export a mix in real time , I did an audible mix and it was fine.

Please see attach Urban Pacification Mix 2 for the same track bounced in real time with no issues. 

These are my settings for the attached with the only difference being the real-time audio bounce option selected for mix 2 

image.thumb.png.e4acae1f74d300369dbeaad25ef8f0db.png

Urban Pacification Mix 1.mp3

2 hours ago, winkpain said:

So, does this mean that for those of us with Focusrite interfaces/drivers there is no benefit, for now,  in enabling this new MMCSS setting in CW?

AND as to your comment on using Process Explorer, is this to suggest that setting the priority for Cakewalk there should have an effect within CW? When I do so (for example I choose realtime: 24 within Process Explorer - as shown in attached screenshot), and with MMCSS enabled or not in Settings in CW, the label shown when hovering over the Performance Module does not change/still shows Time Critical (15).

Also,  so much thanks for the continued improvements!

@winkpain Right because turning it on in Cbb has no effect because its blocked somehow.
Regarding process explorer, I think you misunderstood. In your screenshot you are setting the Process priority not the driver thread priority. That won't change anything with the driver because we don't create the driver thread. Also you shouldn't set the entire process to realtime since that's not a good idea :) 
The process has lots of other non realtime threads like the UI. Setting the process to realtime could have a detrimental effect on audio and system performance in general!
To clarify, I only suggested to look at the ASIO driver thread priority in process explorer not change it...

• Thanks 1