2022.11 Feedback

Morten Saether

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Regarding process explorer, I think you misunderstood. In your screenshot you are setting the Process priority not the driver thread priority. That won't change anything with the driver because we don't create the driver thread. Also you shouldn't set the entire process to realtime since that's not a good idea

I did, indeed, misunderstand. Thanks for clarifying!

To clarify, I only suggested to look at the ASIO driver thread priority in process explorer not change it...

So, how/where are we looking in Process Explorer to see this thread priority reading?

AND more pertinently for us Focusrite folks, this MMCSS issue (the inability to take advantage of the setting) is a Cakewalk dead-end for now until Focusrite makes the necessary changes. Do I understand that right?

@Mark Morgon-Shaw that's strange.
To rule out something other than the update, have you already tried rolling back and repeating the steps with the prior update?
Also, which version were you running prior to this? Was it 2022.09?

Thanks I've rolled it back to 2022.09 which I was using previously and the issue still persisted. So perhaps it's not the update.

I've already delivered several tracks this month with multiple mixes / stems with 2022.09 so I know it was fine until very recently.

Next I went into the preferences, did a check of everything and tried a " Reset Config To Defaults " and happily this seems to have cured it. 

I don't 100% recall what my old settings were but I do know I was using the aggressive thread processing as I have a 12 core / 24 thread processor but it's been a long time since I'd changed to that and it's been fine all this time.

Re-updated to 2022.11 and it's exporting as normal now too.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, winkpain said:

So, how/where are we looking in Process Explorer to see this thread priority reading?

Go to the properties of the Cakewalk process and then the threads tab. Then assuming that you can find the ASIO thread by name you can see the thread priority in that pane. The Focusrite thread is unfortunately not easy to find since its not named so you may not have success. Hence the performance tooltip in Cakewalk is your best bet.

4 hours ago, winkpain said:

AND more pertinently for us Focusrite folks, this MMCSS issue (the inability to take advantage of the setting) is a Cakewalk dead-end for now until Focusrite makes the necessary changes. Do I understand that right?

Yes but its pretty much a status quo as before so you aren’t gaining or losing anything.

• Thanks 1

After this update, most of my plugins need a long time to open and Cakewalk freezes during that time (with the audio engine still running). There is some activity on my SSD, but nothing heavy. I use Microsoft's built-in Defender, no additional AV. And I didn't change any settings.

Some plugins involved (there are too many to mention all), all as 64 bit VST3: Synthmaster, Breaktweaker, Pneuma, Orb Synth, Thorn, SampleTank 4, and many more.

@msmcleod  @Noel Borthwick

PICTURE CACHE - Any problems reported about PICTURE CACHE? I had some problems opening some projects that only worked after I cleared the PICTURE CACHE folder. In one of the previous versions, 2022.09 (???) information was inserted that the application itself would manage this, deleting the oldest files when it needed more space.

Other projects keep getting the message COULD NOT FIND OR OPEN THE FILE and it crashes. The information that project save operation is in progress.

When approaching via Task Manager to close the application I verify that there are Teleport Server(32) services in progress.

I think it could be something related to the audio device, because I notice that if I disconnect and reconnect the USB, the application returns to work normally.

Edited by Milton Sica

Hello

In the release info for 2022.11, in the Bug Fixes section, it says:

-Regression: Mono hardware outputs always output as stereo

Does this mean that, at last, the External Insert plugin has been fixed and it will recognize a mono output without hijacking the whole stereo pair?

Hopefully, it does.

5 hours ago, kc23 said:

Hello

Does this mean that, at last, the External Insert plugin has been fixed and it will recognize a mono output without hijacking the whole stereo pair?

Hopefully, it does.

Not sure but I think there’s a clue in “mono hardware outputs” vs External insert plug-in. 

I think the External Insert plug-in is Stereo by design not a bug. As it has to measure the round trip delay/latency being passed through an external hardware device to do appropriate time alignment with the audio in the box.  
I don’t think it would work on simultaneous yet different streams processed through different devices. That’s been my laymen’s understanding of it for the many years since it’s initial implementation and my use of it. 

Of course as usual I’m happy to stand corrected. 

Edited by Michael Vogel

7 hours ago, kc23 said:

Hello

Hopefully, it does.

No - this was a regression in Aux tracks.  The stereo pair restriction on External Inserts is still there for the moment.

It does mean, however that this workaround will now work:

7 hours ago, kc23 said:

Hello

Hopefully, it does.

No the issue you refer to with external inserts is not a bug. Its a design restriction based on the fact that many driver models use stereo pairs.
It will require an architecture change to support individual mono channels there so its not quite that simple.

1 hour ago, Will. said:

Using the old shortcut by Holding down ALT when replacing an effect without the "new replace effect feature" now replace the entire FX bin with one chosen effect by DELETING every other effect in the bin!!!

Actually, it always did this - this behaviour hasn't changed.  Look's like it's been that way since 2010... so SONAR X1 I guess.

2022.11 was working pretty well, until yesterday. The display wasn't scrolling like it usually does when you hit play. It behaved just like the Scroll Lock key was on. If I hit W (rewind) or move 1 bar ahead a few times, the display was stuck and didn't scroll. I rebooted the computer and it still did it. Has anyone else noticed this happening?

Since I was in the middle of an important project with a client, I ended up reverting back to 2022.06 and it works fine. Is it safe to go back to 2022.11?

5 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@ku7431 which OS version are you running and did you update the os recently? 

Can you describe the problem more? What do you mean by "disables cakewalk and won't launch it again"

I'm using Windows 11 Pro for Workstation 22H2 22621.819 and there are no updates installed after reinstalling

To explain the problem in detail, the moment you change the driver mode from MME to UWP in the Playback and Recording detailed settings of the MIDI settings and apply it, Cakewalk is terminated. And when I try to run Cakewalk again, it just shows the logo for about a second and Cakewalk doesn't run.

After searching for a while and finding the setting value in the Registry Editor and putting it back, I was able to run Cakewalk again.

Edited by ku7431