Rock music: with or without keyboards?

daveiv

"Keyboards" have evolved so much over time, so I see it more as an tactile input vehicle. I personally have associated "keyboard" with "synth," but the sound you get out of a MIDI input these days does not need to be a synth at all. For the OP, what are you considering a "keyboard?" I also tend to associate keyboards with electronics, so a piano is always a piano for me.

I came across an interesting Russian pianist (Gamazda), and she has covers of just about everything and is apparently supported very well from online performances/chatting via patreon. I noticed that she seems to play a different piano for every video too (sort of odd), so I am wondering where they all come from, but then again, her $100/month patreons are sold out, so pianos might be consumables to her.

Edited by mettelus

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2022 at 8:26 PM, Grem said:

It would be criminal to think otherwise.

speaking of criminal, and keyboards...

for a classic case of clueless "AI", turn on the captions in YT for the begining of this. "(soothing music)"?! uh huh.  

Edited by jackson white
additional thoughts...
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 10:16 AM, jackson white said:

for a classic case of clueless "AI", turn on the captions in YT for the begining of this. "(soothing music)"?! uh huh.  

It appears to be the correct words.

16 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

Smoke on the Water, Highway Star etc. Jon Lord was the master of heavy rock keyboards.

Yes he was. And it was years before I really realized that the great distortion on those Deep Purple records was him!!

3 hours ago, RBH said:

i think you need to distinguish the difference between Keyboards and Sequencing.

...and sampling, loops and DJ'ing? 😁

Now imagine each one of those keys initiating a sample instead of just one note! 😆

On 11/1/2022 at 7:52 PM, mettelus said:

Boston’s beginnings go back to 1969 and a band headed by guitarist Barry Goudreau called Mother’s Milk. Vocalist Brad Delp and drummer Jim Masdea were joined by a recent MIT graduate, Tom Scholz on keyboards

Whoa, this really reduces my contempt for the song "Rock 'n' Roll Band." I always took it as them making a claim to having paid dues that they never actually paid. Which it probably is, but still, knowing that there was an actual band before Boston with some of the same personnel makes it seem different.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:27 AM, Wibbles said:

Remember Queen and their motto "no synthesizers were used on this record" ... until they started using synthesizers.

I never knew quite what they thought  they were saying with this, but it always seemed a bit childish and closed-minded to me.

That was supposedly a dig at a review of their first album that described the sound as having a "great use of synthesizers," mistaking Brian May's layered guitar sounds for synths. They wanted credit for coming up with something different. They didn't much care for the sounds that the synthesizers of the day were capable of. 

As for the "rock music with or without keyboards?"

I didn't think computers were used in music ar all at this time.

I mean mainstream stuff. I realize as long ago as the 50's I believe some type of experimental music using what was called computers was being put out.