Melodyne 5.3 bug in Cakewalk

John Bradley

This one just bit me in the butt today, wondered if anyone else can confirm.

I regularly take my rhythm guitar tracks into Melodyne Studio to tighten up the timing. Create a Melodyne region, and then when the editor pops up switch into the Universal algorithm, because I just want to slide the timings around, don't want to see polyphony or anything. Did so today, apparently for the first time since I installed Melodyne 5.3 and Cakewalk 2022.09.

The blobs are supposed to be connected and remain that way as you drag them around. What happens now is an inexplicable mess. This does not happen if you edit the clip in the standalone Melodyne, but that's not especially useful to me. See the two videos.

Reverted to Cakewalk 2022.06, but that didn't fix anything. Uninstalled Melodyne and reinstalled my 5.2 version - that fixed it. I've no doubt that I can re-upgrade to Cakewalk 2022.09 and it'll still work, but haven't actually tested it yet.

Anyway, please confirm if it's not a "just me" problem!

46 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

This one just bit me in the butt today, wondered if anyone else can confirm.

I regularly take my rhythm guitar tracks into Melodyne Studio to tighten up the timing. Create a Melodyne region, and then when the editor pops up switch into the Universal algorithm, because I just want to slide the timings around, don't want to see polyphony or anything. Did so today, apparently for the first time since I installed Melodyne 5.3 and Cakewalk 2022.09.

The blobs are supposed to be connected and remain that way as you drag them around. What happens now is an inexplicable mess. This does not happen if you edit the clip in the standalone Melodyne, but that's not especially useful to me. See the two videos.

Reverted to Cakewalk 2022.06, but that didn't fix anything. Uninstalled Melodyne and reinstalled my 5.2 version - that fixed it. I've no doubt that I can re-upgrade to Cakewalk 2022.09 and it'll still work, but haven't actually tested it yet.

Anyway, please confirm if it's not a "just me" problem!

It definitely seems like it's tied to using the percussive detection in Melodyne, which I'm guessing it's using in the Universal case there since it's not giving you any pitches. I suspect this is likely on Celemony's end. If you do the edits in melodic/polyphonic mode, it stretches normally. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Have you reported this to celemony?

Yes, I have.

Also, I've reinstalled Cakewalk 2022.09 and it continues to work as expected. 

So yeah, it would seem safe to say that Celemony broke something in the 5.3 release. Thankfully, there was no killer feature I needed in 5.3 – 5.2 is perfectly fine for my needs.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: Turns out it's not a bug¹. According to Celemony support, there's a setting Options | Note Editor | Show Tails that somehow got turned off.

Not sure if it's a per-algorithm setting, since the other algorithms were behaving correctly. Also not sure how it got turned off, as I've never looked at that menu before and there's no key binding that I might have accidentally typed.

But in any event, turn that on and Universal blob editing works the way it's supposed to.

---

¹ It's also not a feature, as I can't imagine a case where you'd ever want 'show tails' disabled, but whatever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

According to Celemony support, in v5.2 the Show Tails setting did nothing when in Universal mode – it was always enabled regardless of the setting.

In v5.3,  they changed it. He agrees with me that it seems like a mistake, in that you'd never want it disabled in Universal mode. Whether they revert to the 5.2 behavior in a future update, who knows.

• Like 1