Recording with multiple mixers

dwf2008

I have been using Cakewalk with a Zoom L-12 mixer as the input device. I have been very happy with this setup, but I am finding that I need more inputs. Moving up to a larger mixer (probably the L-20) will be expensive. I am wondering if I could buy a smaller mixer and use it side by side with the existing one. Such as, the mic inputs would come from mixer1 and the instrument inputs would come from mixer 2. Does anyone know if this is possible? In the preferences setup you have to designate the input device and it seems like you can only choose one. So it seems like it is not possible, but I am hoping there might be something I have missed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Vary rare that this has been reported as successful. And I do believe Zoom is class compliant drivers anyway. The L 12 has 14 DAW inputs which to me seems like plenty. It depends on how many inputs the OP needs. 
If they only say, need 4 or 6 more inputs I would recommend purchasing a 4x4 or 6x4 audio interface that has better specs and drivers than Zoom products have. This would also be more cost effective than a $1,300 L20. Example a Tascam 16 x08 has 8 xlr inputs etc. $500. Lots of 4x4 interfaces are around $300. 
The new interface would then serve as the heart of the mixing and mastering stage of recording.  It would have a proper ASIO driver.  It would have better RTL for overdubs too.

For recording sessions you have the L12 and the proper interface connected and switch to say WASAPI shared mode. When the session is over you return to ASIO mode and carry on with overdubs and mixing. 
Win, win. 

Edited by Cactus Music

Thank you to everyone offering insight to this problem. My current needs are:

4 mics

1 drum could be stereo but currently mono

1 lead guitar

1 bass guitar

1 rhythm guitar

1 stereo keyboard

1 violin

My L-12 has 8 mono channels and 2 stereo channels for a total of 12 inputs.  So it almost works but not quite.  I currently have 2 instruments sharing a stereo channel which places one right and one left which is not ideal. Plus there is no room for growth. 

I was thinking of pairing the L-12 with a used L-8 as the most compatible combination. I presume they would use the same driver.

I also have a Focusrite 2i2 in my closet that I could factor into the mix. I don’t know if either the L-12 or the 2i2 can use WASAPI but I will experiment tomorrow.

Mike - yes they are all recorded at the same time. The setup is also used for band practice and live performance.

I have found that WASAPI shared does not allow both devices to be selected at once. WASAPI exclusive and MME do but ultimately do not work with an error that says device is not available.