Secret Places

MichaelJohn

"SECRET PLACES"

Children will find secret places to hide out, because they need refuge and to feel free from the outside world.  But there are also 'secret places' we keep in our heart...   

I began working on this piece in 2009 when Barry sent me lyrics about his beloved cat that had passed away, and asked me to compose the music.  We completed a song called "Nine Times".   I then wanted to make a new song in a more general theme and asked Lisa if she would sing.  I sent her a melody made with a flute sound.  She returned the vocal you hear here.

I've made dozens of revisions and remakes since 2009 but was never quite satisfied.   I was attempting a complex arrangement and production.   I decided to try again last week, and it finally came together after 6 more remakes.   I believe I've worked on this piece of music more than any other I've made.

I believe all the instruments are from one my workstations, the Roland or Yamaha, not sure which.   Made in Cakewalk at that time.   This was made in Cakewalk by Bandlab.   Hope you enjoy.   

NEW MIX 11.7.22: 

Edited by MichaelJohn
replaced video with improved mix
  • Like 4

music: great tones, production, mix....the piece is expansive and varied.... the writing diverse, confident and nice to listen to....Lisa did a great job on the vocals....great work there!!!! 🎶🎶🎶🎶

video: compliments the song perfectly, nice to see something with old fashioned heart and soul  

• Thanks 1

It takes a lot of skill to handle delicate music like this, and you did a great job with this production!  I guess I heard the latest version, as the vocal is at least equal with the other parts of the mix.  It's all clean and spacious which leaves room for the listener to fill in the spaces.  Participatory music, so to speak.  The video is well done, too.  Keep it going!