Header cleaning

JT music

It is understandable that the Wookiee forum administrator wants to simplify his work by warning in the forum headers about the forbidden and so on, but...? Wouldn't it be wiser to do your job by acting and deleting each post that corresponds and thus be able to release those horrendous warnings from the beginning of the forum? Thanks Wookiee!!!

The warnings are far from horrendous.
They could be popups that slap you every time you load the forum that you then have to click on to dismiss! 

The alternative is to have a fat paragraph on top similar to what's on the Coffee House forum but I suspect that would eat half the screen or more...

Personally I think if you're going to have posting protocols that are specific to a particular forum (or at least more applicable to the Deals forum than the others) that they should be posted upfront to avoid any ambiguity.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 4

Agreed, I don't think general announcements about policies are a bad idea, they should help avoid posts that do not fit the current rules.  Why would you want to create more work and make moderation of the forum you enjoy far less efficient?

I say this as someone affected (you obviously won't see direct deal postings from me now that I see that post, no biggie I understand) and as someone who agrees with the no affiliate links rule too.  Especially with the precedent set by the most prolific deal poster here who never posted affiliate links even though he could have if he wanted to make a "cut" from the work done to post all of these deals.

I just hope to see others follow the rules if they are devs/companies and hope there aren't others who don't wear an affiliation to a company on their sleeve which is something I'm proud to have made a condition of my employment at IK from the start (about 13 years ago) and something which I feel strongly about in general.  Now you won't see direct deals posted by me (unless I have a brain fart which can happen time to time and I expect to get admonished accordingly if that happens) but anything I post will clearly be from IK officially and I think that's even more powerful when the ability to post deals "for profit" or have products in dev/company signatures. So in short, even those affected seem to think it is  a good thing.

Basically TL;DR I respectfully disagree with OP even though I'm affected directly.

• Like 3

Well, the top post may have helped a bit but there still are some who are ignoring the admonition, specifically certain preset sellers, one of whom has 5 posts on the first page alone. So I think something more is needed to make sure the forum rules are adhered to to make it fair for everyone.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 11:38 AM, JT music said:

It is understandable that the Wookiee forum administrator wants to simplify his work by warning in the forum headers about the forbidden and so on, but...?

As it should be. The Wookiee is an unpaid volunteer, so you feel he should have to work harder because people cannot behave?

19 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Agreed, I don't think general announcements about policies are a bad idea, they should help avoid posts that do not fit the current rules.  Why would you want to create more work and make moderation of the forum you enjoy far less efficient?

I say this as someone affected (you obviously won't see direct deal postings from me now that I see that post, no biggie I understand) and as someone who agrees with the no affiliate links rule too.  Especially with the precedent set by the most prolific deal poster here who never posted affiliate links even though he could have if he wanted to make a "cut" from the work done to post all of these deals.

I just hope to see others follow the rules if they are devs/companies and hope there aren't others who don't wear an affiliation to a company on their sleeve which is something I'm proud to have made a condition of my employment at IK from the start (about 13 years ago) and something which I feel strongly about in general.  Now you won't see direct deals posted by me (unless I have a brain fart which can happen time to time and I expect to get admonished accordingly if that happens) but anything I post will clearly be from IK officially and I think that's even more powerful when the ability to post deals "for profit" or have products in dev/company signatures. So in short, even those affected seem to think it is  a good thing.

Basically TL;DR I respectfully disagree with OP even though I'm affected directly.

Hey Peter, you can still post your ikmultimedia.com link in your signature!

That way one click will reveal any current promotions featured on your main page!

19 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Especially with the precedent set by the most prolific deal poster here who never posted affiliate links even though he could have if he wanted to make a "cut" from the work done to post all of these deals.

absolutely 100% 

• Like 1

• I think there are major differences.
    • Some have a long history of making contributions for the benefit of forum member other than just providing links to products they are selling. 
    • Others are vendors with a direct financial interest in making sales that just show up and post links to advertise and provide links for what they sell.
  • I really don't want to mention names, but if you think about who has posted what kind of content in their posts over the years (in the previous forum and in the current forum), I think it should be evident that there are differences.
Edited by User 905133
fixed typo ("posts" --> "post")
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Hey Peter, you can still post your ikmultimedia.com link in your signature!

That way one click will reveal any current promotions featured on your main page!

Done.  I was only on for a quick bit before so I changed it enough to make sure it complied but have now put a simple link like you mention.  Thanks!

• Like 4