Please update PDF manual with Bookmarks tree

Tim Godfrey

The  Downloadable Documentation for Cakewalk at the bottom of this page does not have any bookmarks for navigating the almost 2000 page PDF.

There is a table of contents at the front, but the Bookmarks tree is much better for navigating a large document because it is always visible, so you don't have to scroll to the front and back all the time.

Please add the Bookmarks to the PDF.

This is what I mean by bookmarks. A collapsible tree to the side of the document pane, and clicking on any item takes you to that item in the main document.

Bookmarks_panel_AI.png.img.png

Edited by Tim Godfrey
  • Great Idea 2

I agree that a hierarchical  table of contents possibly with indented, collapsible topics and subtopics would be useful. If time is going to be spent making it happen, I would prefer it to be done in a table of contents navigation frame with the online documentation which is far more useful to many than a PDF reference guide. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed a typo

@User 905133, While it's nice that  both offline and online documentation is available  I don't agree that this thread about offline documentation is the proper place to present a suggestion concerning online documentation.  It shouldn't be an either /or situation like you presented.  I hope you will start a new thread so I and others can discuss your idea in more detail.

I do support the original suggestion of bookmarks in the offline PDF manual.

29 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

@User 905133, While it's nice that  both offline and online documentation is available  I don't agree that this thread about offline documentation is the proper place to present a suggestion concerning online documentation.  It shouldn't be an either /or situation like you presented.

I agree it shouldn't be an either/or situation.  I have no reason to make a feature request. 

If time is going to be spent making it happen, I would prefer it to be done in a table of contents navigation frame with the online documentation which is far more useful to many than a PDF reference guide.

I can accept a rule that no one should comment on any one else's feature request if that is to be the rule. From what I have seen though, commenting on suggestions made by others happens. 

Just to be clear, I use both offline and online documentation based on which one would meet my needs at the moment. However, based on what I have read in the forum, I am sure some people prefer one over the other. 

I disagree that I did anything improper. I did not say it should be one or the other.

Edited by User 905133
word change (wrong --> improper)

@User 905133, I understood the time constraint you emphasized in the quote above as an either / or constraint.   If I came across as argumentative, that's my mistake and I apologize.

I agree with you that you did not do anything improper.   My comment should not be considered as a forum "rule".  I meant it as a suggestion given for consideration.  When several forum members comment on a singular topic it is easier for me to follow.  But when the comments flow outside the topic boundaries I sometimes find it difficult to match each comment to a particular subject.

My thought is it is fairly easy for a good suggestion to be overlooked when the idea is presented in a thread I don't associate with the idea.

Again, I apologize.

Edited by Jim Fogle
clarification

• 1 year later...

They must have hired new staff because the PDF manual for Next , which is only 256 pages, the index takes you to the page. So a click in the help menu, short scroll to index one more click and there’s you info and very clear and easy to understand.  
So possibly this feature request can be transferred to the new Sonar.