Bugs I wish were fixed for Christmas

Helene Kolpakova

Re issue #2 reported above by @Helene Kolpakova, we're currently testing fixes for that and some related issues (see below). All being well, they should be included in the next release too.

Browser/Synth Rack/Help Module docking fixes currently being tested:
1. Browser would sometimes open as expanded even if it was collapsed when the project was saved.
2. Help Module or Synth Rack were docked at the top (above Browser) even if they were below it when the project was saved.
3. Browser docking layout wasn't restored correctly on project load if the Browser was collapsed. This resulted in odd layout appearance and/or incorrect Browser/Synth Rack/Help Module order.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, InstrEd said:
6 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Besides bug fixes,  @msmcleod has an extra surprise Christmas present feature that we'll be including that should make quite a few people happy :)

the DAW plays Christmas music in the background 😆

and an extra bank of jingle bells samples for download :D:D 

Impressive work in this thread, great job @Helene Kolpakova! :)

On 11/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, Ben Staton said:

Re issue #2 reported above by @Helene Kolpakova, we're currently testing fixes for that and some related issues (see below). All being well, they should be included in the next release too.

Browser/Synth Rack/Help Module docking fixes currently being tested:
1. Browser would sometimes open as expanded even if it was collapsed when the project was saved.
2. Help Module or Synth Rack were docked at the top (above Browser) even if they were below it when the project was saved.
3. Browser docking layout wasn't restored correctly on project load if the Browser was collapsed. This resulted in odd layout appearance and/or incorrect Browser/Synth Rack/Help Module order.

I'm sorry if I don't understand the obvious from the above - but will the Synth Rack state now be remembered if it is floating? :) I always have to re-float it...

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, GreenLight said:

Impressive work in this thread, great job @Helene Kolpakova! :)

I'm sorry if I don't understand the obvious from the above - but will the Synth Rack state now be remembered if it is floating? :) I always have to re-float it...

Yes, this should work correctly. I just did a quick sanity check. If I float the Synth Rack, then save and close the project, the Synth Rack is floating when I open the project again. Let us know if you still have any problems there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

Yes, this should work correctly. I just did a quick sanity check. If I float the Synth Rack, then save and close the project, the Synth Rack is floating when I open the project again. Let us know if you still have any problems there.

NICE! It's the small things that increase convenience, thank you. :)

Will test it in the next release!

Woohoo!! Merry xmas, me 😂

With this I can confirm that I can no longer reproduce issue #1, #2 and the part of issue #4 which goes about the tabs. Meaning, Cakewalk no longer crashes when I open projects; the browser state is properly saved with the project and recalled; tabs opened in MultiDock are also saved and recalled.

The issue #3 and the part of the issue #4 about the size of MultiDock (and the browser width too btw) are still reproducible here. But well, I don't mind the actual xmas surprise 😂

Thank you so much once again! 

Edited by Helene Kolpakova

@Helene Kolpakova To clarify you are saying that both the multidock and the browser sizes / collapsed state is not being retained after open, correct? 
Please deselect a workspace and redo your test. It's possible that the workspace is restoring the view sizes to what they were in the workspace. Remember that Workspaces are a way to set a project to a certain view configuration so if you don't want this behavior, you should select None as the workspace.

Note that the Advanced workspace as shown in your screenshots, is authored with the Window Layout settings checked. This means if advanced is selected, it will always restore the window layout to the workspace, overriding what's in the project.

image.png

You can also make your own custom workspaces without the Window Layout checked if so it wont try and force the layout of the workspace.

Additionally, you can turn off Apply Workspace on Project Load from the workspaces menu as below. This should prevent the workspace being auto applied when you open your projects.

image.png

19 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

To clarify you are saying that both the multidock and the browser sizes / collapsed state is not being retained after open, correct? 

Nope, the collapsed state is properly saved. But, the height of the multidock or the width of the browser are not saved.

Here's what I mean:

1. Let's say we have some project opened and Workspaces is set to None.
  2. I adjust the browser width to my liking and then collapse it by pressing the "B" shortcut.
  3. I adjust the multidock height to my liking and then collapse it by pressing the "D" shortcut.
  4. Then I save and close the project.
  5. Reopen it.

Expectations:

1. Project is opened with both multidock and browser collapsed.
  2. Expanding multidock and browser restores their sizes as I adjusted them to my liking in steps 2 and 3 of the scenario.

Observed:

2. Expanding multidock or browser restores them to their default sizes as opposed to those I set in steps 2 and 3, so I have to adjust them again after every project opening.

Here are the screenshots.
1. Browser and MultiDock prior to project save&close
Screenshot_20221108_012127.thumb.png.6e0905a6459a79e2f9d9656a484f8f86.pngScreenshot_20221108_012110.thumb.png.6ef00a8ec2184aacceb28a05113fc847.png

2. Browser and MultiDock after the project is reopened and browser and multidock are expanded by pressing "B" and "D" keys respectively.
Screenshot_20221108_012420.thumb.png.71551b59817e5a1ff989bdb514606540.pngScreenshot_20221108_012358.thumb.png.5d041821c4f8d1a297f8ce2be74e4c1b.png

There's another glitch btw 😅

Browser width may become no longer adjustable:

1. Open a project.
  2. Expand MultiDock to the full window height and collapse it.
  3. Collapse Browser if it is not.
  4. Now that both are collapsed, expand MultiDock first.
  5. This will restore it to the full height.
  6. Now try to expand the Browser by pressing the "B" shortcut -> it doesn't show up because the full-height MultiDock takes priority if you will (actually I think something else happens there).
  7. Press "B" again to collapse the Browser that's not visible anyway, but just do so.
  8. Now collapse the MultiDock.
  9. And now we are supposed to expand the Browser since MultiDock should no longer prevent the Browser from being displayed, so press "B"

Expected:

Browser is expanded and its width is adjustable

Observed:

Browser does get expanded but I can no longer adjust its width and there's some glitch in rendering on its edge where it was supposed to be hold and dragged for width adjustments. 

image.png

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Observed:

Expanding multidock or browser restores them to their default sizes as opposed to those I set in steps 2 and 3, so I have to adjust them again after every project opening.

I can confirm that's what has been always happening here for me too after project reopen, on any PC I have/had.

I have workspaces off and I never touch screensets.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Expectations:

2. Expanding multidock and browser restores their sizes as I adjusted them to my liking in steps 2 and 3 of the scenario.

I suspect 2 is expected behavior and unrelated to workspaces. If you save the project with the multidock expanded and open, it does retain the size and width, correct?

6 hours ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Now try to expand the Browser by pressing the "B" shortcut -> it doesn't show up because the full-height MultiDock takes priority if you will (actually I think something else happens there).

Try this:

- With the multidock closed, undock you browser and drag it to the center of the screen.

- Expand  theMultidock to something less than full height.

- Drag you browser to the upper right of the track view, and note the the blue "docking shadow" occupies only the area above the Multidock.

- Without releasing the mouse button, drag the Browser down the side of the screen to below the midpoint, and note that the "docking shadow" expands to fill the the full height.

- Drop it there, and now it will have precedence over the Multidock when it's open.

I actually prefer to give the Multidock precedence so I always have a full-width PRV.

Edited by David Baay

@Helene Kolpakova

Thanks for the extra info and report. I did some testing and reproduced all 3 issues. So, to summarize:

1. Custom Browser width is not preserved if Browser is collapsed.
2. Custom MultiDock height is not preserved if MultiDock is collapsed. Not quite the same as the Browser width issue though, since custom MultiDock heights are preserved correctly, except when the MultiDock is maximized.
3. Browser width may become no longer adjustable.

FWIW, all 3 are existing issues (ie. not regressions caused by last week's docking fixes).

I think 1 and 2 are already logged (I'll check and log if not), and I'll log 3 so we don't forget them. No promises (it's late in the release cycle, and last minute fixes can be risky), but I'll also take a look and see if I can squeeze another fix or two in today.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ben Staton said:

...since custom MultiDock heights are preserved correctly, except when the MultiDock is maximized

acha, now I see the tiny small detail I should have added (but didn't think it's relevant, since maximized is also custom height, right?) :) 

• Like 1