Help please! New PC - SONAR + BANDLAB installation queries ❓❓

SteveStrummerUK

I may have asked all this before when my current PC had to have a new 'Windows/C' drive installed, and you kind folks got me back up and running perfectly 👍

However, I've long since forgotten the correct order to do everything in 😐

As before, I want to ensure that I still have access to all my SONAR-related features such as ProChannel etc inside Bandlab - i.e. not all, but quite a few of these:

N9Cm9D0.jpg

As always, many thanks in advance of any help, advice and assistance ☺️

AFAIK it's just a case of oldest first, so 8, then 8.5, then X1, X1 Exp, X2 and so on.....

I doubt that you would need both studio versions and pro versions, but in the case of X1,  IIRC X1 expanded was just the add on bits, so you needed to have X1 Pro first.

• Great Idea 1

Oldest first is the safest approach if one plans on running full installs of SONAR but there is no reason to install the DAW portion of any version of SONAR except for X2 (for V-Vocal) and Platinum (some installers check the registry for the DAW).

X3 and older have an advanced install option which can install plug-ins without adding the DAW and its supporting files. Its the supporting files in the "Shared" folders than force the install order. Again, V-Vocal is the exception as it is part of the core DAW install and was modified in the X2a update.

Here is a reply to a similar post that goes into more detail

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

I did something similar a couple of years ago, but didn't want the old versions of SONAR nor many of the plugins.

I first installed SONAR Platinum then Cakewalk by BandLab, and then cherry-picked the plugins I wanted from old installers and Cakewalk Command Centre.

I managed to get all the plugins I wanted without the stuff I never used. 

I never had X2, nor used V-Vocal (it was always a crashfest when I tried it).

... so pretty much what Scook said.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

As before, I want to ensure that I still have access to all my SONAR-related features such as ProChannel etc inside Bandlab - i.e. not all, but quite a few of these:

There is the simplest way to bypass the restrictions of the installers of old elements, if you want, write me a personal message, I will lay out the text for the .reg  file here, which simply enters into the registry about the "installed Sonar" (Platinum). Sonar itself is not necessary to install, you can install it right away the latest version of Cakewalk with full access to old installers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1