Noise Floor . . . Clean up Vocals

Russell

Question

This will probably be dumb for most of you but I can't figure out how to do it.

I have a vocal track I *really* want to keep but between singing there is a VERY audible breath noise when inhaling. A sample is below - I added the red line - that's what I want to do.

Is there a way to put a floor on the track saying "everything below this point don't play, above this line leave it  alone"

The track is extremely zoomed in and not as "hot" as it looks

Capture.PNG

4 answers to this question

You could use an expander, which is kind of like a gradual gate rather than an on/off kind of thing but I definitely agree with the others here - you'll get much more predictable results by editing this by hand.

I personally always cut out the gaps between each vocal phrase and do fades on either side to stop any pops and clicks, and then automate breaths later if they're too distracting. In some cases I'll cut them out entirely, or even move them to a different track for different processing if I like the sound of having breaths in general but I want to do something a little more heavy-handed on the vocal itself.

• Like 1

You're better doing this manually, clip gain works well instead of splitting and removing, as you can control how much you want to tame the noise. Sometimes things can sound strange if you get rid of everything. 

Waves NS-1 works OK for it too. It will no doubt be on sale, as Waves plugins seem to be on sale 24/7. 

• Thanks 1