Favorite Freeware FX Thread

12 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The best part of Kilohearts Essentials is not some of the modules it has, but Snap Heap. Not only you can do really interesting things by combining the essentials modules inside it, you can also use Snap Heap itself as a module.

Yes, Snapheap is a very useful tool, but it is $29 payware. Not included in Essentials, as it is currently* one of their "premium" products.

*Kilohearts did include Snapheap in a limited time special offer last year, but that's no longer available.

https://kilohearts.com/products/snap_heap

• Thanks 1

I'm not usually one for this kind of suggestion, but as a blue sky fantasy, Kilohearts Essentials would be a really sweet collection to bundle with Cakewalk.

It ticks most of the "bread and butter" boxes, but where it pulls ahead of say, the Dead Duck collection, is in the more exotic sound design-y special effect-y ones like Ensemble, Tape Stop and Reverser.

I just updated Kilohearts and it automatically reinstalled the *.aaxplugin files which I had deleted.  Of course, they are only 260 KB each, so that's not too bad.  Just mentioning this for those of you who like to delete them.

Edited by User 905133
added a missing word ("Kilohearts")
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I just updated Kilohearts and it automatically reinstalled the *.aaxplugin files which I had deleted.  Of course, they are only 260 KB each, so that's not too bad.  Just mentioning this for those of you who like to delete them.

Yeah, a couple of Megs of .aax is nothing compared to what an A|A|S Player installation used to spew around, which was into the GB. Still, I do like to keep a tidy system.

49 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

It ticks most of the "bread and butter" boxes, but where it pulls ahead of say, the Dead Duck collection, is in the more exotic sound design-y special effect-y ones like Ensemble, Tape Stop and Reverser.

The Dual Delay and Trance Gate are pretty cool effects as well...

https://kilohearts.com/products/dual_delay

https://kilohearts.com/products/trance_gate

• Like 1

Hi there! First time posting on here, I'll just list a couple of my favourite free FX that I've not seen in this thread.

I've seen TAL Software here already but I still want to mention TAL Reverb 2 as I use it quite often and it seems to have been a little hidden from the other free plugins on TAL's site. You can find it either here on its own page with TAL Reverb 3 or under "Old Downloads" on the TAL Reverb 4 page.

Up next we have Photosounder's SplineEQ. It's a linear phase EQ that uses Bézier curves to connect your 1 to 4 bands. You can have quite interesting curves this way and it's a less traditional way of EQing that still sounds good. There's also a paid "full" version with up to 60 bands.

One of my favourite effects is Vapor by Audio Damage (alternative link). It's a kind of diffusion chorus thing and I mainly use it for widening up sounds and putting a sound "in a room".  I find it's really versatile and it gives a nicer (maybe more natural?) stereo effect than e.g. a chorus or a common stereo widener.

What I also have not seen here yet is Shattered Glass Audio's SGA1566, which is a tube distortion/saturation/warmth plugin. The sound it produces does please me a good bit but it is to be said that it's very CPU intensive, especially when you put it on "High CPU" mode and turn on oversampling (the former you basically have to do if you want an amount of fidelity in your audio). I'm exaggerating a little but you get the gist.

Last is Minimal Audio's Rift Feedback Lite which while I'm writing this seems to actually only be free for a limited time. It's a delay like basically every other but it can also go into tonal delay range and act like a comb filter or resonate at a specific note's pitch.
I would also mention Rift Filter Lite as I got it for free but apparently it's not free anymore. Maybe they'll put it out for free again at some point but I can't say for sure.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is anyone still using this?  Accusonus - ERA Bundle Pro v4 VST Free Download.

I'm interested to know if it just proves too s-l-o-w and it's not just my setup. It does work but the reverb remover for example has incredibly high latency and takes up to a minute to close down.

It's a discontinued product but is still available to download from getintopc.com. Incredibly the download works although you have to enter the code shown on the webpage to be able to unzip it.

Abandonware. Use at your own risk. I was going to try it but I personally avoid software that is  abandoned and hard to find. I hope you scanned the heck out of the files.  Especially if it used an installer that can be super risky. 

Edited by John Vere

3 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Abandonware. Use at your own risk. I was going to try it but I personally avoid software that is  abandoned and hard to find. I hope you scanned the heck out of the files.  Especially if it used an installer that can be super risky. 

Yes, thanks for mentioning that. The installer is fine - it's just the zip file that needs the code and that was handled by 7-zip.Of course some discontinued stuff e.g. Roland Concerto (should be in the free inst thread) does seem worthwhile.