Favorite Freeware FX Thread

26 minutes ago, abacab said:

Try copying the image link from the Imgur multiple choice list that is called "direct link", & post that here using the url selector in this forum.

That direct link typically ends with a ".png", "jpg", etc.

Yes this ^^^ is the method I use except I copy and paste the BBCode but since this forum adds the bbcode when pasting the direct link either method works. Click on the image in your library to see the options

BAOkR7N.png

Alternately this url https://imgur.com/a/YHkXA7G is the page containing the image. One can get the url to the image by right-clicking the image and copying its location, in this case https://i.imgur.com/AKngnhe.jpg. When pasted into this forum displays

AKngnhe.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Impulse Records ConvologyXT https://impulserecord.com/project/convology-xt-plugin/

For good free acoustic guitar and bass go to Ample Sound https://www.amplesound.net/en/download.asp (or is it only effects section?)

(If looking for good Yammie DX7 emulator just google for DEXED)

Kuassa has got some nice freebies.

And don't forget about the free ones from Plugin-Alliance.

• 2 weeks later...

Plug in- VOX Continental V

I gave this a shot last year and was amazed by its usage. doesn't have velocity scaling but the sound is great. I believe Auturia bought out the plug in from the original vendor but this one still rocks.

Combo Model V

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Combo_Model_V&id=1004

The Combo Model F is a great one as well.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Combo_Model_F&id=1365

• Like 2

I don't know that the originals had much in the way of velocity sensitivity either! 😁

Both of these plug-ins are fantastic emulations, and the Vox Continental one is a staple for me. The graphics are beautiful, all the controls, I can see why Arturia hired the programmer.

I think he started Martinic back up again. I keep seeing a listing on KVR for something called a Kee Bass that's an emulation of the bass-only  keyboards from the '60's like Ray Manzarek used in the Doors, but when I follow the link, it just takes me to the company's main page.

(btw, there is a companion thread for freeware instruments that would love some resuscitation)

• Like 2

The return of the JB Broadcast Processor, now in 64-bit form! And it's still free!

I've long been a fan of ToneBoosters plug-ins. A nice handful of them came bundled with Mixcraft, the DAW I honed my DAW skills on, and I'm also a fan of the work of Jeroen Breebart, one of the founders, who released several freeware plug-ins prior to starting ToneBoosters. Some of them became TB products in altered form.

One of my favorite plug-ins when I was first learning how to mix and master was his JB Broadcast Processor, a combined multiband compressor/spatializer/brickwall limiter/width limiter. Sort of  a free iZotope Ozone.

I didn't know anything except that when I put that thing on my master bus and called up one of the 4 presets (smooth, normal, loud, high pressure), my mixes would go from sounding "pretty good for having been at this for just a few months" to "dang, dude!"

I had no idea what the thing was actually doing, I had never even seen a multiband compressor before, and since the manual kind of assumes you know about setting up compressors and limiters, it's heavier on the psychoacoustic aspects. I got it to sound even better once I figured out how to set compressor and limiter thresholds and actually started doing my own presets. 😁

Jeroen has a list of patents to his name and presented papers at the AES Convention on psychoacoustics. Excerpt from the manual:

Regarding the detector in the compressor:

"JB Broadcast features a 'psycho-acoustic relevance' mode. Instead of using a peak or rms-
level estimation, this mode employes a perceptual loudness model to compute the loudness
of the input signal. This perceptual loudness model is combined with advanced attack and
release stages that model peripheral adaptation of the human auditory nerve."

Enough! How do I get it?

Go to ToneBoosters' site and download their plug-in installer, which is one of those things that allows you to subsequently pick and choose which of their products you want to install/demo.

When you run the installer, choose the Free plug-ins. It can be easy to miss, they don't mention on the site "hey FREE plug-ins!" But they are there. You'll also get their EZ Q equalizer and Mid-Side Transformer for free.

Now, issue 1: The installer, oddly enough, installs the .dll's to C:\\Program Files\Common Files\VST2, which I am 90% sure is not where you keep your plug-ins. Solution: move the folder with the ToneBoosters .dll's in it to the folder where you do keep your plug-ins.

Issue 2: it doesn't come with the manual.

Solution: go to the JB Broadcast Processor page at VST4Free and download the ZIP  for the old 32-bit one and it will have the manual, which you will want. The UI is kinda small, and although he changed the color scheme to white on brown instead of white on light blue, it's still kinda squinty.

Now all I need is for de la mancha to build One Sixty-Five in 64-bit and that will be it for 32-bit plug-ins that I miss.

• 1 month later...

Whoo, this thread needs a bump, but I don't have any new freebies at the moment (although I will in the next few days).

A couple of  2019 Black Friday freeware alerts:

Make sure to go to Waves and sign up for their annual Black Friday freebie. Whatever it is, it's usually worth the cost of an email address. And remember, email addresses are free. Good idea to have one that you use for offers like this and not for more sensitive things like banking and whatnot.

Next isn't exactly a freebie (and please don't raise any debates about why Vojtech calls his MFreeFXBundle "free" when it's possible to pay to upgrade it), but Meldaproduction has a 50% off everything sale, which includes the registration/upgrade license for the FreeFXBundle.

If you've tried it and use the plug-ins regularly, $28 to access the advanced features is worthwhile. It's a bundle of 34 plug-ins, and he adds to the bundle from time to time, and all additions come under the "lifetime" license. Of course we Cakewalkers know about lifetime licenses: be happy with the software as it is when you buy your "lifetime" license.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A programmer I had somehow missed until he recently updated one of his plug-ins and posted the update on KVR is Sender Spike.

He has 3 freeware VST's, a tape machine emulator, a VCA compressor emulator, and a VU meter. I have been looking for a good 64-bit VCA compressor emulation for a to replace my much-loved dlm one sixty-five for a  long time so will be checking out the VCA compressor in particular.

One important and interesting  thing to know is that he is a Cakewalk user himself and his plug-ins are thoroughly tested  with CbB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

MIA Laboratories freebies:

MIA Fat - Maximises low frequencies in a friendly way to the new generation of sound systems. 

MIA Muscle - Increases perceived loudness and presence without compression.

MIA Thin - Lift up that track and give it some ethereal essence.

Border - Second order Butterworth Low-Pass, High-Pass filter combination. Smooth response and analogue character.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...