Favorite Freeware FX Thread

Noise Engineering have released a 3-plug-in freeware bundle.

I just saw Cameron/Venus Theory raving about them and demoing them, and yes, they are alll that.

If you like the sounds that result from using Glitchmachines/Freakshow/Unfiltered products, get over there. BIG sounding drones and things ranging from ethereal to soundslaughter. I already got the effect to make Monastery Grand sound like a lo fi cello. The UI's are a visual treat, waveforms and animations that glow with the sound (and you can select how much of that eye candy you want).

Two synths and an effect: https://noiseengineering.us/products/the-freequel-bundle-sinc-vereor-virt-vereor-ruina

abacab, Brian, go. go. go.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a load of discontinued software that Roland appear to have made available via Roland Cloud. It has appeared in my free Roland Cloud account and shows as discontinued. They all seem to run on their Concerto instrument - included with each download, and which has also been discontinued.

Back in late May, Kilohearts greatly expanded what's included in their collection of Kilohearts Essentials freebies, adding 24 new FX to go with the half dozen that originally came with the package. It looks like they're taking a hint from the Meldaproduction marketing playbook. They have the very minimal ("essential," one might say) UI's associated with these plug-ins. Where there's overlap, they're no threats to the ones in MFreeFX Bundle, but sometimes you don't need/want that level of power/complexity, right? With Meldaproduction, some people never want that overdose of control. 😄

Where they don't overlap, there are some useful goodies in the collection, especially Reverser, Tape Stop, Pitch Shifter (freeware pitch shifters are hard to come by and this one sounds pretty good), and Ensemble. I haven't tried all of them, but the ones I have tried have the typical kHs great sound quality.

These are the new ones from May:

• Bitcrush
  • Comb Filter
  • Compressor
  • Nonlinear Filter
  • Distortion
  • Filter
  • Flanger
  • Frequency Shifter
  • Gate
  • Haas
  • Ladder Filter
  • Dynamics
  • Phase Distortion
  • Phaser
  • Pitch Shifter
  • Resonator
  • Ring Mod
  • Reverser
  • Reverb
  • Trance Gate
  • Transient Shaper
  • Tape Stop
  • Ensemble
  • Formant Filter
  • Like 6

On 7/6/2022 at 5:18 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Where they don't overlap, there are some useful goodies in the collection, especially Reverser, Tape Stop, Pitch Shifter (freeware pitch shifters are hard to come by and this one sounds pretty good)

Oh boy i feel your struggle, still using Madshifta on Win 10.

But otherwise i can't recommend you enough, to try the compressor its almost aliasing free, nice sounding and easy to use. Never heard of them before and now i'm a Kilohearts fan 😀!

Edited by SVSX
  • Like 2

Dynamics is another great one!  It's annoying that I've been buying these over the years to get to the all-in package.  It makes me wonder what they're up to?  Maybe they just want a larger user base?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mibby said:

It makes me wonder what they're up to?  Maybe they just want a larger user base?

Maybe trying the Meldaproduction (and BandLab) ploy of free licensing a package of goodies to build brand recognition and loyalty? I don't know how many of Vojtech's current loyal userbase downloaded the MFreeFX bundle before spending however many hundreds on their pay licensed plug-ins, but I bet it's a lot. It hooked me, for sure.

The replies here and in the thread I posted in the Deals forum show that it draws attention and interest. If you Google "freeware fx for Cakewalk," this thread is the top result. Every forum has people who just lurk, never post or react.

If a YouTuber like @Xel Ohh or @Creative Sauce puts this information in one of their periodic freeware roundups, that's even better reach.

Whenever a manufacturer does this, I think it's a cool thing, so I try to do my part by spreading the word.

10 hours ago, SVSX said:

try the compressor its almost aliasing free, nice sounding and easy to use. Never heard of them before and now i'm a Kilohearts fan

I'm a hard sell on compressors, I collected so many of them that I now have a lot to weed out. With Meldaproduction alone I have MCompressor, MModernCompressor, MTurboCompressor, Mdynamics, then elysia mastering, elysia mpressor, Shadow Hills Mastering, T-Racks Opto, and the Lindell 76-alike. Not to mention the ones in ProChannel. Those are just the ones I'm keeping. It also omits the multiband ones. I'll keep it and try it because it's probably part of some good SnapHeap presets, but if it weren't, I'm done with introducing new compressors into my workflow. Same with EQ's, I have too many top quality ones as it is.

Since I acquired my favorites kind of recently, now that I'm building a new(er) workstation, I'm in the (probably not uncommon) position of having to keep a whole bunch of stuff I'd never use in new projects on my previous system just so I can open the projects that are on it.

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I don't know how many of Vojtech's current loyal userbase downloaded the MFreeFX bundle before spending however many hundreds on their pay licensed plug-ins, but I bet it's a lot.

Being the kind of guy who reflexively drives against the arrows in the parking lot, I went at it in reverse: I'd already spent a few hundred dollars on Melda stuff before finding out about the existence of the free bundle.

In particular, I have no paid equivalents for MOscillator and MNoiseGenerator, which I mainly use for testing other plugins.

My latest freebie find is called Darvaza, a fancy auto-panner/mangler.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, Starship Krupa said:

I'm a hard sell on compressors, I collected so many of them that I now have a lot to weed out. With Meldaproduction alone I have MCompressor, MModernCompressor, MTurboCompressor, Mdynamics, then elysia mastering, elysia mpressor, Shadow Hills Mastering, T-Racks Opto, and the Lindell 76-alike. Not to mention the ones in ProChannel. Those are just the ones I'm keeping. It also omits the multiband ones. I'll keep it and try it because it's probably part of some good SnapHeap presets, but if it weren't, I'm done with introducing new compressors into my workflow. Same with EQ's, I have too many top quality ones as it is.

Since I acquired my favorites kind of recently, now that I'm building a new(er) workstation, I'm in the (probably not uncommon) position of having to keep a whole bunch of stuff I'd never use in new projects on my previous system just so I can open the projects that are on it.

Me too 😅, i'm trying to sort fx out which i dont use/need as much and focus my mixing process.

• Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stone Voices started making new stuff while I wasn't looking.

Their newest freebie is a reverb, DReverb. I gave it a short test run and my first impression is favorable. It's a contender for Orilriver's "best all-around freeware reverb" title.

They've upped the game in the freeware reverbs arena, which for whatever reason, still lags far behind the payware reverbs arena. If you're getting started, short on funds, this is a good one to start with. But keep an eye open for one of the regular sales of iZotope Phoenix at $10. 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'd like to ask if is there an app similar to Audified Mixchecker?
I've been testing my mixes on different sources and there's always something to be fixed!
However Mixchecker is beyond my budget at the moment!
Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Green Oak Software, makers of the free Crystal synth, just released a pair of new freeware FX, Tungsten (delay) and Cesium (chorus).

At first the most striking thing about these is obviously the steampunk UI's. I putzed around a bit with the delay and it has some nice tricks up its sleeve like granular and freeze. They look cool and they're free!

TungstenScreenshot-1.pngCesiumScreenshot-1.png

• Like 3

Perfect timing. I really need to find a replacement for the Sonitus delay so I’m on the hunt starting with my favourite type of plug ins. Free or dirt cheap.
 So far the ones that sound the best don’t have sync. Then the ones with sync don’t have the controls I need like the Sonitus has. 
These look like they came from the set of Carnival Row.  Cool. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Installed the Tungsten and it's a keeper. Did exactly what I wanted without fuss.  

I'm just working on a new video that will feature as many delays as I can round up. Looks like it might be 30 plus free delays.  

I always start  here  https://plugins4free.com/search?term=delay   

Here's an example of my script so far. 

https://www.nembriniaudio.com/products/analog-rack-delay  Analog Ranch Delay. By Nembrini audio.   Basic delay super easy to use.  Add ons include the Offset control and Analog switch. Offset Creates a time offset in left/right delay sections. Analog is found on most of their plug ins and it removes harmonics when turned off for a cleaner sound. Personally I like it on.   It has sync. And like most of the better ones there are read out for the time in ms when you turn off sync,  Manual is built in via a menu item. 

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3502/       AmDelay   ( Figure this would be perfect for @Bapu   )   No sync but great quality It would be a keeper if it at least had a reading for the Time control. Sort of like using old school analog stomp box delay. Good sound quality overall especially for lead guitar.  No manual but web page has some info and a video. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

I'm just working on a new video that will feature as many delays as I can round up.

Whoo. Glad you dig Tungsten. Don't forget Cockos' ReaDelay. As with some other of the ReaPlugs, it's way underrated. Also kHs Delay and kHs Dual delay, and Valhalla FreqEcho. Oh, and Glitchmachines' Hysteresis, for utter madness.

One that I have been having fun with is CRMBL, which has a Freakshow Dumpster Fire-ish UI. I like it except for the fact that it doesn't sync. But with a UI like that it's staying. The developer has a total of 9 plug-ins that can be used in either free or paid (Patreon) form. The free version just has a small scrolling beg banner along the bottom.

ui.1670125328.png

Edited by Starship Krupa

On 7/29/2022 at 3:16 PM, mgustavo said:

I've been testing my mixes on different sources and there's always something to be fixed!

I always check my final master against presets (and reference tracks) MAnalyzer. It at least gives me a visual reassurance that I'm in the ballpark as far as tonal balance.

Part of the legendary MFreeFX bundle. The bundle also has other useful analysis tools like MStereoscope, which I use to take a look at the stereo energy balance on my buses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1