Favorite Freeware FX Thread

It's not tied to any particular iLok account until you put in the activation code, so if your um, housemate got another activation code and um, gave it to you, and you used it to activate on your iLok account, the iLok'd license would be yours.

It would still be in the cloud for the laptop, but at least it wouldn't make you kill the session on the other computer every time you wanted to use it.

Not an effect as such, but I wanted to mention a very useful audio utility that I use on every project: Mediahuman Audio Converter.

It very quickly converts just about any audio format to any other audio format, with lots of customization of settings available for bit depth, rate and other parameters.

When I do an audio export from Cakewalk or any other DAW, I do one export in one lossless format and use Mediahuman to generate any other formats that I need. Since many of the effects and instruments I use include randomization elements, if I went back to the project and did an export for WAV, then FLAC, then MP3, then AAC or whatever, chances are high that each of those exports would be different, in varying degrees of perceptibility depending on what plug-ins I used.

Check it out, it's really invaluable for my workflow.

Also very handy to have when preparing files for distribution is Mp3tag, which I use to edit metatags in audio files. Right after I do that export (which I do as FLAC), I open Mp3tag and add Artist, Title, Year, Genre, etc. to the file. This way, when I do my conversions with Mediahuman, the tags will already be in place and Mediahuman will add them to any files it creates from that master.

One more very handy free utility for analyzing media files of any kind, audio or video, is MediaInfo, which they describe as "convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files." I install both MP3tag and MediaInfo as an Explorer extensions so that I can right click on a media file name and run them. MediaInfo can tell you what bit rate and sampling rate the file uses, also which CODEC(s) and displays tags.

I really wouldn't want to be without any of the three.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Found a new one today, best freeware find in a while.

OZSoft Xpander. It's billed as a stereoizer for making mono sounds into stereo sounds, and manipulating the stereo image, but it goes a lot further.

I tried it on a track where I was using (freeware) SampleScience Deep Jupiter, and within seconds, I had turned this mono bass sound into a monstrous wide, pumping thumper.

It would be well worth paying for, but we get it for free:

https://webshop.oz-soft.com/en/content/25-xpander

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Eric Liu said:

Free Origin Vintage Plugin

As mentioned in an earlier post, I consider this one essential for processing dialog samples (of which I am fond). My captures from movies and TV shows are way too clean and full-range. Add a high-pass to roll off the bass, put on Origin, and they sound great, gets that "I held the mic up to my TV speaker" sound.

• Like 1

Big news, BlueLab have made their entire line of plug-ins freeware. Lots of spectrum visualizers/editors, spatial effects, bass and air enhancement, and more.

Sad that they're throwing in the towel, but a boon for we frugal people.

Their (always free) BL Gain plug-ins have been a staple in my studio for plug-in level matching and gain staging.

It's unknown how long they'll keep their server up, so act quickly.

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Big news, BlueLab have made their entire line of plug-ins freeware. Lots of spectrum visualizers/editors, spatial effects, bass and air enhancement, and more.

Sad that they're throwing in the towel, but a boon for we frugal people.

Their (always free) BL Gain plug-ins have been a staple in my studio for plug-in level matching and gain staging.

It's unknown how long they'll keep their server up, so act quickly.

Might be just me (or browser specific), but my basket gets emptied every time I add something on the BlueLab site, so no way to actually get any of the plugins...

3 different browsers, 2 PCs,with same results so I think not me!

Edited by Kevin Perry
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Toneboosters have retired their TrackEssentials and BusTools plug-ins and released them as freeware.

These are top-quality FX packages. Compressors, equalizers, meters, reverb, limiter, and more, pretty much every effect you need to mix and master from the mind of Jeroen Breebart. I've long been a fan due to their FX being bundled with my other DAW, Mixcraft. They produced some of the first top-quality FX I ever worked with.

These packages include such industry-standard FX as Barricade limiter and Sibalance de-esser. Plus lots more, including an EQ with mid-side capability and what is now my favorite vocal pitch shifter.

To get them, go to this page and scroll to the bottom:

https://www.toneboosters.com/changelog.html

Manuals may be downloaded at the bottom of this page:

https://www.toneboosters.com/support.html

When installing, take care to set the correct path to your VST2 plug-ins folder. By default, the installer puts them in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, scook said:

Audio Damage released their catalog of legacy products (synths and effects) for free too https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/free-and-legacy

Well worth checking out.

Oh indeed.

Unfortunately, they don't supply the manuals, which look to be pretty essential for getting the most out of these.

Good news, I found most of the manuals: http://audio-damage.manymanuals.com/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Toneboosters have retired their TrackEssentials and BusTools plug-ins and released them as freeware.

When installing, take care to set the correct path to your VST2 plug-ins folder. By default, the installer puts them in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2.

Alternative hack: extract the files from the msi file the installer ships as and just copy the dll's where you want (some/all/none).  Much nicer than running an installer.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 months later...

The Computer Music Magazine CM Plugin Suite has been updated to v2.0. These plugins are all free if you purchase one issue of Computer Music magazine, currently June 2022 (CM #308).

Currently it's $3.99 for a single issue at this site. But you may be able to find a better deal on #308 as a back issue on sale down the road. You will be able to access a zip file with all of the installers included, no activation codes required.

https://pocketmags.com/us/computer-music-magazine/june-2022/articles/1136400/cm-plugin-suite-v2-0

A detailed description of the plugins is available in the cover article. Here is a brief summary of the included FX:

DYNAMICS

• Toneboosters Sibilance CM
  • eaReckon CM-COMP 87
  • SKnote Snap
  • LVC-Audio Transector CM
  • Unfiltered Audio G8 CM
  • WA Production Outlaw CM
  • HoRNet DrumShaper
  • WA Production Puncher CM
  • HoRNet Fat-FET
  • D16 Group Frontier
  • Ignite VST Vice One
  • Toneboosters Barricade CM
  • WA Production MultiBender CM
  • audioD3CK SunRuys CM

ANALYSIS

• Blue Cat Audio Freq/Analyst CM
  • Vengeance Sound Scope

EQ/FILTERS

• eaReackon CM-EQUA 87
  • Acustica Audio Pink CM
  • DDMF CM EQ Pack
  • Vengeance-Sound Philta CM
  • AudioThing The Orb CM
  • AudioThing ValveFilter CM
  • Minimal Audio Rift Filter Lite CM
  • Overtone DSP AF2-10 CM
  • Overtone DSP Program EQ CM

DELAY/REVERB

• Baby Audio Baby Comeback CM
  • PSP Audioware cmDelay
  • JMG Sound/United Plugins Hyperspace CM
  • LiquidSonics Reverberate CM
  • Acon Digital CM Verb
  • Ignite VST Areena
  • Surreal Machines Microfuse

MULTIEFFECTS

• Audified Tonespot CM
  • HY-FX CM
  • Tek'it Audio CrossDr CM
  • Subsonic Labs Wolfram CM
  • LVC-Audio T-Chain CM

DISTORTION/SATURATION

• Klevgrand Stark CM
  • Kuassa Amplifikation 2 CM
  • NoisAsh SpeakerSim CM
  • Audiffex Enhancer CM
  • Sinimus Satson CM
  • Rob Papen RP-Distort CM
  • Audio Assault GrindMachine CM
  • Audio Assault BassAmp CM
  • Mercuriall U530 CM
  • HorNet Graffio CM
  • Lindell 6X-500 CM
  • Shattered Glass Audio Inferno CM

OTHER

• Caelum Audio Flux Mini CM
  • New Sonic Arts Freestyle CM 1.5
  • Nyrv Agent CM
  • Dotec-Audio DeeMonitor
  • Linear Display Litote CM
  • HorNet FreMo
  • JST & Boz SideWidener

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 7:25 AM, abacab said:

Unfiltered Audio G8 CM

Unfiltered Audio G8 CM is the best all-around gate anywhere, IMO, only surpassed by the full version (which adds some features that not all would consider essential).

As for the others:

JST/Boz Sidewidener is my favorite stereoizer, HY-FX CM is a crazy deep multieffect that AFAIK, has no corresponding product in HY's lineup. The Overtone Program EQ is a feature complete Pultec emulation (everyone needs at least one Pultec emulation, don\t they?).

Many public libraries will allow you to check out and read issues of Computer Music  via libbyapp.com. Worth looking into. They also have Sound on Sound.

• Like 1