Native Access Updated to 3.0.1

cclarry

3.0.0 - 2022-10-27

We’ve finally completed work on a large tech overhaul! The goal was to improve the overall performance of our searching, filtering, browsing, startup, and management mechanics, alongside how we handle and access data. We’re excited to see all of this out in the wild, and see how much of an effect this will have on our app’s overall performance.

But of course, alongside this we’re releasing some goodies, such as Install All for the subscription page, browsing Effects by subcategories, and browsing products by their vendor. Additionally we cleaned up whatever mess we found in the process, such as sluggish modal and search behavior, some content, and tons of minor UI updates, to name a few. 

We’re also excited to share a few next steps. Following the release of Komplete 14 many users experienced incredibly sluggish startup performance, caused by high traffic to some of our services. To mitigate a few issues we were able to identify, we’ll be committing to one more small but impactful startup adjustment before committing to a feature you’ve all been waiting for (and is long overdue): automatic uninstall. We’ll begin by releasing this for Native Instruments content products only, so we can establish a foundation, and iteratively release uninstall for the remaining products. We hope to get the first iteration out by the end of the year, but otherwise we’ll release it early next year.

FIXED

Fixed download manager layout issues and performance

Addressed an issue where the refresh button takes a long time to trigger

Addressed some API handling issues that results in performance degradation

Windows: some strings were being cut off

ADDED / IMPROVED

Adjusted some text strings

Various UI improvements in the List View

UI improvements to the grid view

UI improvements to the Locate dialog

UI improvements to text, links, and images

UI improvements to the download manager

Refactored and improved the UI of our drop down menu component

Subscription Page now sorts products by their product state, then alphabetically

Removed redundant number of products in the subscription header for subscriptions with one product

Added Install All to the subscription page

Adjusted the way we handle authenticating API calls

Adjusted some calls to execute in tandem with each other to improve startup times slightly

Improved our diagnostics around app startup so we can identify future bottlenecks for sluggish startup times

Refactored our state handling mechanisms

Refactored components throughout the application to improve performance in compliance with our updated state mechanism

Introduced reactive events to handle changes to app state on the fly

Fixed up and refactored our tests to accommodate the new state mechanism

Improved our testing systems

Adjusted how we trigger install all and update all

Adjusted out mechanism for storing "newly available/new" products state

Effects can now be browsed by subcategories

Users can now find products by specific vendors

Update empty filter results message for empty search queries

Refactored our filtering and search mechanisms for improved performance

Adjusted how we handle our texts to improve performance

Improved the way we handle modals to improve performance

All toasts are now dismissable

• Thanks 3

On 10/28/2022 at 10:58 AM, cclarry said:

Run NA to update upon exit

Hmm, I'm on 2.6.2 and it's not telling me to upgrade. Do I have to manually download the upgrade?

Edit: nope. My available downloads only show Native-Access_2:  https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/

Edit2: No, wait. I had to leave NA up for a few minutes then a notice popped up to say it would update upon exit.

Edited by fret_man
  • Like 1

Strange... I seem to be at 1.14 and not getting any updates shown available?

Logging into my account online only shows a v2 that I can (will) install

Ha! Downloading and installing gave me v 3.01! So only the info page is in need of updating?

Edited by Keni
  • Like 1

Well, how I love installer monoliths like Native Access! 😆

Just now I discovered that it had deleted some of the manuals with some updates (Absynth5, Battery4, FM8, Solid*, ...)! 😡 Is this user friendly deleting the manuals without user notification?

I am 100% sure that once the manuals were there, because there are still file links that I had created!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

OMG 3.x is so friggin s-l-o-w to load compared to v1.
Arggggggggggggggg
I want my v1 back, going to see tomorrow if I have the installer saved somewhere.

It’s not just me then. It takes minutes for mine to load.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abacab said:

Still happily running v1.14.1 here... :)

I am as well.

As an installation tool that I only run when I want something installed (or to check if something is installed), I don't understand the advantages of upgrading.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Still happily running v1.14.1 here... :)

Took me a while to find it but here's the direct download link from NI site.
Native Access v1.14.1

Here's the webpage if you're running a MAC
Native Access 1 Legacy Installers for Older Operating Systems

To me, the extra features of 3.x aren't worth it if it takes the app over 3 minutes to load.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2022 at 1:16 AM, marled said:

Well, how I love installer monoliths like Native Access! 😆

Just now I discovered that it had deleted some of the manuals with some updates (Absynth5, Battery4, FM8, Solid*, ...)! 😡 Is this user friendly deleting the manuals without user notification?

I am 100% sure that once the manuals were there, because there are still file links that I had created!

I loathe all of them.  Some will install those digi ones, 32 and 64 bit,  I only do vst3 these days to limit confusion.

• Like 1

v3 is slow for me, too. It doesn't take minutes to start but much longer than v1.

I had an interesting experience trying to install Audio Imperia's Solo last week. Luckily it's only about 84 GB but it took a few tries. Somehow the download was corrupted (apparantely there are no integrity checks) and Native Access got stuck during the installation. There was no error message but I realized what the problem was when I tried to run the installer manually.

audio-imperia-solo-install-error.png.3a423cd2423126b6b065d61390872c69.png

I had to delete the downloaded .iso file before Native Access allowed me to redownload it. Otherwise it would just continue with the installation, and I couldn't find a way to abort it.

I wish NI would give us direct links to the installation files. Installing would be much easier and I could archive the files so I wouldn't have to download them again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pseudopop said:

I wish NI would give us direct links to the installation files. Installing would be much easier and I could archive the files so I wouldn't have to download them again.

It kinda does... Check under your preferences for the folder used for the download location.
By default it dumps them in your Downloads folder.

I always set it to my archive location...
image.png.6be45d981f45ec9f7e5e5e73566e1b51.png

It didn't use to delete them after installs, but may now.

Edited by TheSteven