FR: When will we have the ability to replace FX?

Bruno de Souza Lino

Title says it all. It seems quite counter-productive that you can replace synths from a menu option but there's no option or workflow for doing so in the FX Rack. You have several ways of adding effects into the rack but the only way to replace an effect already in it is deleting the effect that's there and putting the new one in.

• Great Idea 1

Everyone can be forgiven for not knowing about this one.... I found it by accident... but you can actually replace an effect:

1. Right click on the effect you want to replace, and pick Insert Audio FX...
2. Hold down ALT when choosing the new effect.

The downside is there's no quick grouping across tracks, so you can't, for example, use it to replace all your SSL EQ's with API EQ's.

ReplaceEffect.gif

• Thanks 7

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Everyone can be forgiven for not knowing about this one.... I found it by accident... but you can actually replace an effect:

1. Right click on the effect you want to replace, and pick Insert Audio FX...
2. Hold down ALT when choosing the new effect.

I tried this in a number ways, including the number of FX (e.g., 3 plug-ins) in a track FX bin and the moment I press and hold ALT.  Unless I am doing it wrong, I am finding that the method replaces the entire FX bin with a new choice. I tried this with both Audio tracks and Instrument tracks with the same results.

Edited by User 905133
to add more info

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I tried this in a number ways, including the number of FX (e.g., 3 plug-ins) in a track FX bin and the moment I press and hold ALT.  Unless I am doing it wrong, I am finding that the method replaces the entire FX bin with a new choice. I tried this with both Audio tracks and Instrument tracks with the same results.

Ah yes - you're right.

Hmm - yeah, that's a bit limiting.

...wow. I saw  this post while I was reading the forum on my phone and it made me actually get up and turn on a DAW to try it out. How did I never know about this after all these years? 😐

I think if this can be changed to per-FX rather than per-bin, this would be super useful! :) 

• 1 month later...

FYI, in case some one stumbles onto this request for the ability to replace FX and doesn't keep track of ongoing updates:

As of November 2022 there have been several recent Releases, Early Access Releases, and Updates which give us some additional FX bin options, including: 

• Improvements
    • Replace audio effect
      • You can now replace audio effects from track or bus effect bins.
      • To do so, right-click an effect and select Replace Audio FX, then select the desired effect.
  • Enhancements:
    • Quick group support for track effect bin Delete command
    • Delete All now available in effect bin menus

Thanks to everyone who requested and re-requested the replace audio FX feature over the years, to @msmcleod  for following up on this, to those who suggested enhancements, and to all who made it happen. 

BTW, do users who make  FRs mark them "Implemented" (maybe with the date of the release) on the Topic line like when problems are marked "SOLVED"?  

See