John 5 in Motley Crue?

hockeyjx

Mick has "retired from touring"(after Motley Crue did a long farewell tour? You don't say!) but still a "full band member"(read: ain't giving up his equity stake in the band's corporation ...SO smart).

John 5 has great chops, but Mick was the most underrated part of Motley Crue, and more genuine than the other members IMO. We all know the Stadium Tour, and the recently announced tour with Def Leppard, are simply a money-grabs. Sad.

I'd rather them get a singer who could actually sing and nail the words every night, just sayin...

Motley.jpg

Edited by hockeyjx

Was a big fan of theirs when I was 12-13, but didn't pay much attention after that. A friend offered tickets and I saw them in Vegas for their previous farewell tour (2016?).

Mick Mars was a big surprise - he was really cool.

Lee was ok. 

Sixx took out a knife his grandfather gave him when he was a kid and made a long, incoherent speech about it. Weirdest thing...

Neil was equal to himself, which is not a good thing of course.

You wouldn't want to hear the soundboard mix of any of these shows I am sure.

I like John 5, and for him it's be just anoter gig I guess, but the guitar never really was the problem in those shows.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Mick has had hip issues for a long time, so I was always astounded by what he endured to just perform, let alone all that he did. I have nothing but respect for him. For the 40 years he has put in, he definitely deserves to remain a band member.

The big thing is, he is a 25%(assuming, but probably right) member of the corporation and keeps getting money. Motley hasn't been a true band in decades, so that doesn't matter as much.

27 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Mick has had hip issues for a long time, so I was always astounded by what he endured to just perform, let alone all that he did. I have nothing but respect for him. For the 40 years he has put in, he definitely deserves to remain a band member.

He shouldn't be touring at all. He has a form of arthritis called ankylosing spondylitis. I hear it's just painful for the guy to move. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 9:06 AM, Mesh said:

I had not listen to that album in decades when I grabbed a copy in a bin at walmart after we moved here and I was rebuilding my library. I popped it in for a trip down memory lane and it quickly became painfully obvious that the guy never could sing, although he did a fait job rockin' on some of that stuff.

It is a cool debut album, regardless.

Guys like Vince Neil are the reason why I grew up taking for granted that most heavy metal singers couldn't really sing, and decided to not let it bother me. For every Dio or Halford, you had a few dozens of Neils and that's just the way it was. I didn't expect them to actually be able to sing those songs live. On a positive note, I guess that it's also why I ended up fronting all my bands, even if I never thought of myself as a singer. If those guys could do it...

I also remember that Too Fast For Love was released with a bunch of different album covers in Canada and some of them included Stick to your Gun. Mine didn't have it and I felt I'd been cheated.

A while ago my younger brother found this among the things I'd left when I moved out. For a little while when I was 12-13, it was one of my most precious belongings. 

78859946_10157026431002582_8801216016248995840_n.thumb.jpg.ba92bfbca778855733d2ff46ba20f4f5.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I really like John5. But maybe it's his infatuation with Tele's that makes me admire him so much.

Look up Hell Haw on YouTube. It shouldn't be posted here. It's vulgar but he plays live(ish) at the end. The video is live but you can tell by the mix the audio was done in a studio. His bass player is really good. I saw an interview one time with John5 and he said he grew up watching Hee Haw with his dad and that's where his fascination with Tele's began. Watching all my old country hero's. It's probably why I respect him so much.

My nephew was really in to M.C. back in the day and had me to listen to them a few times. I could never get in to them.