Mix Thread Count & other tweaks for Apolo x6?

HOOK

On 11/6/2022 at 4:29 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@HOOK Yeah, that's pretty useless I can't tell either. Same issue with Focusrite.
If you install the latest 2022.11 early access build, I added a tooltip to the performance module that shows the thread priority. If you run that build let me know what it shows there. Thats the only way to know.

Ok, @Noel Borthwick.  I'll install that tonight and we'll see what it tells you.

I captured it with it off, as you requested.

I tried running Cakewalk with MMCSS on and off.  And "for ASIO driver" on and off.  With and without load balancing.  All options with MMCSS on caused issues.

Edited by HOOK

Also, there's a strange little bug in that MMCCS check box.  The Enable MMCSS for ASIO Driver option is not available until I click on Use MMCSS.  But if I uncheck Use MMCSS and close preferences and then open it again, the MMCSS for ASIO is still checked....and now it's not grey.  A little wonky...not sure what to make of it.  Running great without either checked.  I'll leave it alone...

Edited by HOOK

Thats normal. I disable it when MMCSS is off. It's supposed to tell you that the setting isn't active unless MMCSS is on.
When you turn MMCSS off with Enable for ASIO on, we don't clear that state but gray out the box.

>>Running great without either checked.  I'll leave it alone...
One of the mysteries of the universe only UA can reveal/solve.

• Like 1

I still have a very old Win 7 System with an Apollo Silver Face firewire. I've always needed to reduce the Mix Thread Count  - to make the Apollo play nice. I needed to do a full uninstall and re-install recently. Reducing it fixed all glitching.

12 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thats normal. I disable it when MMCSS is off. It's supposed to tell you that the setting isn't active unless MMCSS is on.
When you turn MMCSS off with Enable for ASIO on, we don't clear that state but gray out the box.

>>Running great without either checked.  I'll leave it alone...
One of the mysteries of the universe only UA can reveal/solve.

Hi Noel,

I'm still overseas but today UA replied to my MMCSS tech support request.

From UA support: "Thanks for the report. We have logged this internally and it's being investigated. In the mean time, our recommended workaround is to disable MMCSS. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions."

I gave them all the details we discussed in this thread and gave them my "Windows System Information File.nfo" before I left home.

I'll keep you updated if they send me anything new.

Cheers,

Reggie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 7:28 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

If turning off MMCSS in Cakewalk fixed the glitches this is most likely a driver bug. We’ve seen drivers that don’t properly error handle cases where MMCSS is already enabled by the host. A similar issue happened with the Lynx driver which we reported to them and was subsequently fixed. Drivers should handle the host setting threads to MMCSS.

Noel...I switched to Lynx Aurora Thunderbolt because the Universal Apollo x6 was blue screening over and over.  I'm still having to turn off MMCSS in Cakewalk with this Lynx driver.

On 11/9/2022 at 5:59 AM, Traveler said:

Hi Noel,

I'm still overseas but today UA replied to my MMCSS tech support request.

From UA support: "Thanks for the report. We have logged this internally and it's being investigated. In the mean time, our recommended workaround is to disable MMCSS. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions."

I gave them all the details we discussed in this thread and gave them my "Windows System Information File.nfo" before I left home.

I'll keep you updated if they send me anything new.

Cheers,

Reggie

Reggie...I abandoned the x6.  I was getting blue screens every other time I changed buffer or sampling rate.

13 minutes ago, HOOK said:

Noel...I switched to Lynx Aurora Thunderbolt because the Universal Apollo x6 was blue screening over and over.  I'm still having to turn off MMCSS in Cakewalk with this Lynx driver.

@HOOK Lynx originally had a problem with MMCSS  on a Lynx E44, where the driver would stop responding when Cakewalk enabled MMCSS.  We had a case open with them and it was solved on their end back in Dec 2019, after I sent them a lot of info on this. Are you running the latest driver from them and if so, what problem do you see when MMCSS is enabled in Cakewalk for ASIO?

In any case this is exactly why I added the ability to disable it from the host level and no longer default to MMCSS being enabled for ASIO drivers.

I'm using the latest driver - V2 build 25 - Jan 2022

It seems, actually, that the problem is only when I turn off MMCSS in the Lynx ASIO panel while the Enable MMCSS for ASIO in Cakewalk isn't checked.  Clicks...pops...dropouts.

I'm getting good performance with a couple of different configs with those 3 options.  I'm just not entirely clear on what you suggest is the best.  Shut off MMCSS in the Lynx driver and enable both options in Cakewalk?

Oh I didnt know they added an MMCSS disable in the driver panel, that is good.  He had mentioned it, but it wasn't available at the time.

It's not that surprising that you get worse performance if you turn off ASIO MMCSS in both CbB AND Lynx while leaving MMCSS enabled in Cakewalk, since that means the audio engine is running at a much high priority than the ASIO driver.

The recommended settings are the following:

image.png

Use MMCSS   ON
Enable MMCSS for ASIO  ON
MMCSS in ASIO driver panel OFF

image.png

Use MMCSS   ON
Enable MMCSS for ASIO  OFF
MMCSS in ASIO driver panel ON

NOT recommended:
Use MMCSS   ON
Enable MMCSS for ASIO  OFF