New PC Build, horrible audio glitching with Multiprocessing Engine "ON"

el Mudman

Question

I have a brand new build, i7-12700K with 64GB of ram. My audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen, it worked just fine with my last PC.

With 4 or more tracks playing back, I get pretty severe stuttering during playback... usually for a minute or so, no matter where I start from. Also, the Performance Module just shows the last 4 bars (all the way to the right) bouncing up and down and peaking every time it stutters. Zero to no activity on the left side of the module like I'm used to seeing on my last PC. If I turn Multiprocessing Engine "OFF" it seems to fix the stuttering but I'm still only getting 4 bars of activity on the right side of the Performance Module and I'm assuming once I get a lot more tracks into the mix with plugins I will need to engage Multiprocessing again. I'm also struggling to keep the latency at bay when recording... seems like every time I record I need to re-adjust the buffer settings that worked in my last session.

I've checked the ASIO settings, double checked that my Interface settings are at 44.1 as well as Cakewalk, I've re-installed Cakewalk as well as Focusrite Control...  now I'm stuck. Thanks for any ideas or tips in advance.

13 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Promidi said:

Try disabling C-states and Intel Speedstep (This is done in the PC's BIOS and the method varies between PCs)

Try Start + run "control powercfg.cpl,,1" (without quotes) and set CPU Min and Max to 100% (Under Processor power management)

In preferences | Audio | Configuration File try adjusting the following: EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor = False MixThreadCount = {number of cores minus 1} You might like to exit Cakewalk by Bandlab, go to the following folder and make a copy of the AUD.INI file before doing this: %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your hardware drivers (Not just for your Audio interface). Do this using manufacturer's websites rather than Windows updates. While you’re at it, you might as well check you are using the latest versions.

You might want to update your Vdist runtimes. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

EDIT: Crap, it still glitches when I'm trying to record, but playback is smooth. I'll try more of these suggestions.

These are all great options, thank you.

I tried re-installing all the motherboard drivers and it turns out MSI put out a new one 14 days ago for "noisy" USB audio. Seems to have fixed the glitching for now... and my Performance Module looks much happier, showing 0 "Late Buffers" when it was showing anywhere from 2 to 6 during playback.

Edited by el Mudman
  • Like 2

What is your ASIO Buffer Size set to, when this is happening?

Additionally, does your project playback without glitches, if you temporarily Bypass Effects, by clicking on the FX button on the right side of the Transport module (where the Now Time Marker is displayed, as well as where the playback controls are shown).  Once you test this, you can click on the FX button again, to re-engage all of your effects.

Bob Bone

What Robert's getting at is that Cakewalk might be having trouble dealing with an effect or multiple ones. To this end, also try enabling/disabling plug-in load balancing and see what happens.

But you don't mention whether the tracks are audio or VSTi's or a combination, or whether you even have any FX enabled. We need more information. What was the CPU in your last system?

Since it looks like some kind of weirdness going on with the CPU and its many cores, you can also mess with the Thread Scheduling Model. Do you have Hyperthreading enabled in the system BIOS? Just some shots in the dark.

Try disabling C-states and Intel Speedstep (This is done in the PC's BIOS and the method varies between PCs)

Try Start + run "control powercfg.cpl,,1" (without quotes) and set CPU Min and Max to 100% (Under Processor power management)

In preferences | Audio | Configuration File try adjusting the following: EnableSetThreadIdealProcessor = False MixThreadCount = {number of cores minus 1} You might like to exit Cakewalk by Bandlab, go to the following folder and make a copy of the AUD.INI file before doing this: %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your hardware drivers (Not just for your Audio interface). Do this using manufacturer's websites rather than Windows updates. While you’re at it, you might as well check you are using the latest versions.

You might want to update your Vdist runtimes. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

21 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

What is your ASIO Buffer Size set to, when this is happening?

Additionally, does your project playback without glitches, if you temporarily Bypass Effects, by clicking on the FX button on the right side of the Transport module (where the Now Time Marker is displayed, as well as where the playback controls are shown).  Once you test this, you can click on the FX button again, to re-engage all of your effects.

Bob Bone

Buffer is set to 9.4 msec, 416 samples. When I click on ASIO Panel button it shows Internal clock and 416 with an * next to it. I've tested 256 and 512 and still get problems.

Also, yes the glitches occur just as frequent with effects bypassed.

Edited by el Mudman

19 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

What Robert's getting at is that Cakewalk might be having trouble dealing with an effect or multiple ones. To this end, also try enabling/disabling plug-in load balancing and see what happens.

But you don't mention whether the tracks are audio or VSTi's or a combination, or whether you even have any FX enabled. We need more information. What was the CPU in your last system?

Since it looks like some kind of weirdness going on with the CPU and its many cores, you can also mess with the Thread Scheduling Model. Do you have Hyperthreading enabled in the system BIOS? Just some shots in the dark.

Plugin Load Balancing makes the glitching much worse, for some reason.

It happens on projects where I have just audio tracks as well as ones with VST/audio combos. The glitching is very heavy when trying to rehearse in-ear, so much so that I have to turn the buffer size way down and just deal with annoying latency the whole practice.

Last CPU was an Intel Gen 3 i7

I will check for hyperthreading in BIOS, thanks.

16 minutes ago, el Mudman said:

I tried re-installing all the motherboard drivers and it turns out MSI put out a new one 14 days ago for "noisy" USB audio. Seems to have fixed the glitching for now... and my Performance Module looks much happier, showing 0 "Late Buffers" when it was showing anywhere from 2 to 6 during playback. If the problem returns I will try more of these ideas.

Woo-hoo! Thanks for posting what the solution was.

Good on MSI for getting a new set of drivers out there. I suspect that you'll not see this problem again (as long as you don't let Microsoft "update" your USB driver 😄).

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Problem is back with full force. I've tried all of Promidi's suggestions and no luck. I even tried a safe boot so no background programs ran at the same time as Cakewalk and that did not help at all. So... I decided to download Reaper and see how another DAW worked with my new build. Works perfect, no problems at all. Guess I'm just going to have to leave Cakewalk for something else.

1 hour ago, el Mudman said:

UPDATE:

Problem is back with full force. I've tried all of Promidi's suggestions and no luck. I even tried a safe boot so no background programs ran at the same time as Cakewalk and that did not help at all. So... I decided to download Reaper and see how another DAW worked with my new build. Works perfect, no problems at all. Guess I'm just going to have to leave Cakewalk for something else.

I am sure there a users on here with a similar configuration as your new PC and are not having any issues.

You mentioned your MSI drivers - are these for your onboard audio?  

If so, then (and this is a long shot) what happens if you disable all audio devices except the Focusrite.  Do you happen to have an Nvidia card? Disable the audio on that as well (using Device manager - under System devices , High Definition Audio Controller)

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

I am sure there a users on here with a similar configuration as your new PC and are not having any issues.

You mentioned your MSI drivers - are these for your onboard audio?  

If so, then (and this is a long shot) what happens if you disable all audio devices except the Focusrite.  Do you happen to have an Nvidia card? Disable the audio on that as well (using Device manager - under System devices , High Definition Audio Controller)

I would assume so too, it's such a mystery.

Yes, the drivers are for onboard audio. And yes, it's a Nvidia card. I just disabled both High Definition Audio Controllers, restarted PC, and no change...

39 minutes ago, el Mudman said:

I would assume so too, it's such a mystery.

Yes, the drivers are for onboard audio. And yes, it's a Nvidia card. I just disabled both High Definition Audio Controllers, restarted PC, and no change...

Did you copy your aud.ini file from your original PC or did you do a fresh install of CbB.

Do you still have that file from the old PC (or a backup)?  If so, then rename the version that's on the i7-12700K PC and copy the one from your old PC.  See what that does.

This file is in the following folder

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Just to confirm, you did disable C-States and Intel speed step in the new PC’s BIOS, right?

If still having issues, then you might want to drop a note to CW support (mentioning what you’ve tried so far)

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Like 1

Well I closed this window for a few weeks and accepted my defeat. Been using Reaper in the meantime. Today I tried Cakewalk again because I just can't leave it alone. I saw there was a new update, downloaded it, and looked at the release notes... Either coincidental timing or one of the developers saw this thread because the new "Enable MCSS for ASIO Driver" option in the update has made Cakewalk usable again. My performance window activity is very low and balanced now and I've had no significant "pops" during recording or playback. Fingers crossed it lasts this time 🤞.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and willingness to help!

• Like 2