Old Pains with Synth Rack

Keni

I wonder if anyone else cares about this. I've mentioned it many times and no one seems to...

Unless I leave it open and visible during a save, the synth rack always moves itself back into the browser without my doing so. Once the rack is closed it will continue to re-open properly during that same session, but once the file has been saved, the rack is back in the browser on next open.

This has been this way for so long I don't remember when I started discussing it!

Though a minor detail, it's a PITA to have to re-address this issue constantly. I don't want my rack in the browser. I prefer it floating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Keni said:

I wonder if anyone else cares about this. I've mentioned it many times and no one seems to...

Unless I leave it open and visible during a save, the synth rack always moves itself back into the browser without my doing so. Once the rack is closed it will continue to re-open properly during that same session, but once the file has been saved, the rack is back in the browser on next open.

This has been this way for so long I don't remember when I started discussing it!

Though a minor detail, it's a PITA to have to re-address this issue constantly. I don't want my rack in the browser. I prefer it floating.

I remember reading about this. Not sure if this is the thread I read before or if there is another thread I might have read.

In either case, I tested a whole bunch of things including tweaking one of my Workspaces to have a floating Synth Rack. To test it I saved an open project in three states: (1) floating synth rack open before saving, (2) floating synth rack minimized before saving, and (3) floating synth rack closed before saving. After each, I closed CbB but didn't reboot my PC.  In all cases, Alt+9 either immediately brought up the floating rack or brought it up after a second Alt+9 keypress--possibly because the projected I tested with had a synth instrument within another synth instrument that might have hidden the synth rack with the first Alt+9 keypress.

• Double checking now. 
    • Opened all three test files (one at a time) using my 2022-04-06 Workspace.
      • This Workspace has the Multi Dock on the top with the Track View on the bottom.
      • In all three cases, the file opened with the Console and the Synth Rack as tabs in the Multi Dock.
    • Closed CbB.
    • Booted CbB.
    • Switched to my new (tweaked) Workspace: Float Rack.
    • Opened all three test files (again, one at a time).
      • I had several synths floating in such a way that I didn't see the Synth Rack when the project first opened.
      • When I closed the floating synths (or moved them out of the way), the Synth Rack was floating.

I will try to test tomorrow to see if this continues to work. 

8 hours ago, Keni said:

I think my test cases address this.  I tested the two Workspaces after saving the project (1) with the floating Synth Rack open, (2) with it minimized, and (3) with it closed. 

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos and changed a couple of things for the sake of clarity
  • Great Idea 1

13 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I remember reading about this. Not sure if this is the thread I read before or if there is another thread I might have read.

In either case, I tested a whole bunch of things including tweaking one of my Workspaces to have a floating Synth Rack. To test it I saved an open project in three states: (1) floating synth rack open before saving, (2) floating synth rack minimized before saving, and (3) floating synth rack closed before saving. After each, I closed CbB but didn't reboot my PC.  In all cases, Alt+9 either immediately brought up the floating rack or brought it up after a second Alt+9 keypress--possibly because the projected I tested with had a synth instrument within another synth instrument that might have hidden the synth rack with the first Alt+9 keypress.

• Double checking now. 
    • Opened all three test files (one at a time) using my 2022-04-06 Workspace.
      • This Workspace has the Multi Dock on the top with the Track View on the bottom.
      • In all three cases, the file opened with the Console and the Synth Rack as tabs in the Multi Dock.
    • Closed CbB.
    • Booted CbB.
    • Switched to my new (tweaked) Workspace: Float Rack.
    • Opened all three test files (again, one at a time).
      • I had several synths floating in such a way that I didn't see the Synth Rack when the project first opened.
      • When I closed the floating synths (or moved them out of the way), the Synth Rack was floating.

I will try to test tomorrow to see if this continues to work. 

I think my test cases address this.  I tested the two Workspaces after saving the project (1) with the floating Synth Rack open, (2) with it minimized, and (3) with it closed. 

Wow. Very detailed. Thanks.

Mine is always the same. Even on different machines used over the years.

I don’t use Workspaces. I leave them set at none.

I don’t use the browser at all.

I only use the Multidock for Console and Melodyne . 

I float the synth rack and open with alt-9. I close it from the upper right X (a la windows typical). I never minimize.

Without fail on every project, if the Synth Rack isn’t open when saved, it will be back in the browser.

Maybe there’s some setting I have inadvertently changed?

• New Test:  Rebooted PC then booted CbB .
    • Opened up a few projects in my list of recently opened files (one at a time).
      • All opened with the floating Synth Rack.  🙂
    • One at a time, I opened a handful of older projects (2005 - 2015).
36 minutes ago, Keni said:

I don’t use Workspaces. I leave them set at none.

I will defer to others who are more experienced with Screensets in case they can provide a solution. Other than a default Screenset, I don't actively use them. I will also defer to others who might know if some setting somewhere might have been changed.

Just for fun, I tried switching Screensets stored with a project from 2010.   With the "Float Rack" Workspace, Alt+9 brought up the floating rack. Same result with the default CbB Screensets (01-10) in the test projects.  

Hope you can find a solution that fits your workflow.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo

30 minutes ago, User 905133 said:
  • New Test:  Rebooted PC then booted CbB .
    • Opened up a few projects in my list of recently opened files (one at a time).
    • One at a time, I opened a handful of older projects (2005 - 2015).

I will defer to others who are more experienced with Screensets in case they can provide a solution. Other than a default Screenset, I don't actively use them. I will also defer to others who might know if some setting somewhere might have been changed.

Just for fun, I tried switching Screensets stored with a project from 2010.   With the "Float Rack" Workspace, Alt+9 brought up the floating rack. Same result with the default CbB Screensets (01-10) in the test projects.  

Hope you can find a solution that fits your workflow.

Thanks fir all your work. I do appreciate it.

I do use Screensets a lot.