How can I UNDO "Fit content (CTRL+F)"?

pulsewalk

I accidentality pressed CTRL+F on an audio clip and it made all the same audio clips in several tracks look like "maximized" and like it is clipping. I think they're playing correctly but they look horribly maximized now.

CTRL+Z (undo) does NOT work.

How do I revert back to how they looked originally?

Also, it doesn't seem to be possible to disable CTRL+F in the keyboard shortcut customization window, it just won't unbind.

27 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

ALT+ Z will undo zoom/sizing operations,  ALT + SHIFT + Z will redo zoom/sizing operations.

I see. Unfortunately, I've saved and closed the project. When I open it up, ALT+Z does not work anymore, since the operation is no longer "in the memory".

1. Is there still a way to revert to the view of the wave files original form after the operation CTRL+L (fit content)? Or does it for some reason stay like that permanently?

2. Is there a way to "unbind" pre-defined keyboard shortcuts like for example CTRL+F? So this wont accidentally happen again?

2 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

I see. Unfortunately, I've saved and closed the project. When I open it up, ALT+Z does not work anymore, since the operation is no longer "in the memory".

1. Is there still a way to revert to the view of the wave files original form after the operation CTRL+L (fit content)? Or does it for some reason stay like that permanently?

No - once you've closed / re-opened a project, the undo history is lost.

2 minutes ago, pulsewalk said:

2. Is there a way to "unbind" pre-defined keyboard shortcuts like for example CTRL+F? So this wont accidentally happen again?

You can unbind keyboard shortcuts in Preferences->Customization->Keyboard Shortcuts.

17 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

No - once you've closed / re-opened a project, the undo history is lost.

So there's no way for Cakewalk to re-draw the image of the waveform in the clip? I ask this since the waveform is still the same, but Cakewalk seems to have redrawn the "view" of it in the clips when I pressed CTRL + F (Fit content) ..whatever Fit content exactly means.

You can unbind keyboard shortcuts in Preferences->Customization->Keyboard Shortcuts.

I've tried this, but this doesn't work for certain key bindings, like for example CTRL+F

I mark CTRL+F in the list, I press "Unbind", but it still says "Assigned to: Fit content". I cannot unbind it. It seems to be a shortcut that is like a set default in Cakewalk.

Maybe there's an .INI file where I can edit this so it really will be unbound?

Edited by pulsewalk

44 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Double-click the scale at the edge of the Clips pane to reset to full scale (no zoom). You can also click and drag to some intermediate zoom level.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. I'm talking about an audio clip and the waveform that is displayed in there.

When I pressed CTRL+F when I had an audio clip selected, the view of the waveform suddenly maximized and now looks like it's clipping. I could not revert that. What was done is "Fit content" whatever that means.

2 hours ago, pulsewalk said:

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. I'm talking about an audio clip and the waveform that is displayed in there.

When I pressed CTRL+F when I had an audio clip selected, the view of the waveform suddenly maximized and now looks like it's clipping. I could not revert that. What was done is "Fit content" whatever that means.

Yes, we're talking about the same thing. Ctrl+F zooms the vertical scale of the track to fit the content (whether a waveform or MIDI notes) with no wasted space above or below the highest amplitude/note numberi n the track. Double-clicking the scale between the Tracks pane and the Clips pane will take the vertical zoom level back to default full-scale. I could be wrong but I don't believe there's a bindable 'reset' function to do this.

On 10/26/2022 at 9:44 PM, David Baay said:

Yes, we're talking about the same thing. Ctrl+F zooms the vertical scale of the track to fit the content (whether a waveform or MIDI notes) with no wasted space above or below the highest amplitude/note numberi n the track. Double-clicking the scale between the Tracks pane and the Clips pane will take the vertical zoom level back to default full-scale. I could be wrong but I don't believe there's a bindable 'reset' function to do this.

You're talking about the track. I'm talking about the clip.

When I pressed CTRL+F (Fit content), the waveform in the audio clip was "maximized". The sound didn't change but it looks it's clipping even though it doesn't.

It is only the "drawing of the waveform" that is maximized, I mean visually in the clip. It doesn't matter if I reset the zoom of the tracks, the waveform in the clip still stays the same after I accidentally pressed CTRL+F (Fit content). I'm not even sure exactly what Fit content does, but I guess it maximizes the waveform visually. I just want it to be reset as it was when it was recorded. I just don't know how.

Edited by pulsewalk

14 hours ago, pulsewalk said:

I'm not even sure exactly what Fit content does,

It does what I said. Zooming the track scale zooms the clip content. I'm not aware of any way that waveforms can be visually zoomed to the point of appearing clipped other than by changing the vertical track scale. There is also a "Maximize Waveform  Height" option under View > Display Track Options > Display, but that just eliminates the clip title bars, slightly increasing the visual amplitude of the waveform; it won't make a waveform look clipped if it wasn't already zoomed as well.

I don't mean to be short with you, and possibly you actually have something unusual going on, but have you tried any of what I suggested to return the track scaling to default? If the scale is zoomed, the ends of the scale will be showing some higher value than -3dB which is what you should see when fully zoomed out (the default). It's also  possible to zoom out further so that the scale shows up to +9dB though the waveform will never exceed 0dB.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=EditingAudio.13.html

Edited by David Baay
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Are you maybe talking about this?

ResetWaveformScaling.gif

YES! There it is! Exactly that! Also, right clicking on that scale gave a little menu where I also found Fit content. So, "Fit content" really maximized the waveform visually and thanks to your video, I now know that doubleclicking on that scale resets it! Finally! :D

Thanks so much!!

7 hours ago, David Baay said:

It does what I said. Zooming the track scale zooms the clip content. I'm not aware of any way that waveforms can be visually zoomed to the point of appearing clipped other than by changing the vertical track scale. There is also a "Maximize Waveform  Height" option under View > Display Track Options > Display, but that just eliminates the clip title bars, slightly increasing the visual amplitude of the waveform; it won't make a waveform look clipped if it wasn't already zoomed as well.

I don't mean to be short with you, and possibly you actually have something unusual going on, but have you tried any of what I suggested to return the track scaling to default? If the scale is zoomed, the ends of the scale will be showing some higher value than -3dB which is what you should see when fully zoomed out (the default). It's also  possible to zoom out further so that the scale shows up to +9dB though the waveform will never exceed 0dB.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=EditingAudio.13.html

Thanks to msmcleod I now understand what you meant with the scale of the track. I thought you were talking about the scale of "all tracks" to the right, where you zoom in the tracks and tried to click in the middle, between zoom in and out. No wonder nothing happened! :D

I now also know what you mean by "track pane" and "clip pane". So all good now :)

Thanks for your replies anyway, my fault that I didn't understand  😅

Edited by pulsewalk