Best cheap bass guitar?

Michel

Hey all, I’m a guitar player in need of a cheap bass for recording at home ... for songwriting demos primarily.
Music styles would range from rock and post-punk to heavy alternative. Looking for something in $200-$300US range.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I purchased a Schecter Raiden Special 4 String Electric Bass several years ago when I wanted to learn how to play.  I got a great deal at MF when it was on sale,  but that Schecter bass is no longer being made.   Check out Sweetwater Basses, the Yamaha and Ibanez are great low cost basses.

Edited by jesse g

You didn't mention if you are looking for a solid body, acoustic or semi-acoustic.

Thomann is a prominent European online music store that sells their own line of instruments under the Harley Benton brand.  Here is a link to Thomann USA's line up of solid body electric basses and here is the link for acoustic and semi-acoustic basses.

Edited by Jim Fogle

I will 3rd the  Squier by Fender J or P the Affinity range i do believe 

I also have a SGC Nanyo  SB 300 series  bass guitar which is my go to bass, not sure how much in USA but they do great bass full active and passive and you can pick them up cheap second hand for 200-300 dollars in USA

image.png.6ad4f930676337d023f55fc2fed55913.png

Ibanez and Squier both make great basses in this range. I have an Ibanez PCBE12MH and it's awesome. Has an active EQ so you can really sculpt the sound and blend between the p-style and jazz pickups. I paid $280 new for it and it's great.

But if you can increase your budget i'd like to suggest check this Schecter 2794 or Yamaha BBP35.

Edited by Lord Smith

On 10/25/2022 at 7:05 PM, Michel said:

Hey all, I’m a guitar player in need of a cheap bass for recording at home ... for songwriting demos primarily.
Music styles would range from rock and post-punk to heavy alternative. Looking for something in $200-$300US range.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Lots of good suggestions here. Since your main criteria is home recording, I'd suggest a P bass. There's a reason they're used so often in the studio. They tend to sit well in the mix. If the P bass was OK for James Jamerson, it's OK for me. I second, third and fourth the Squier Affinity Precision Bass. It's a P bass, but includes a Jazz bridge pickup which can be used or dialed out of the mix. $269 at Sweetwater, where they helpfully show the weight of each serial number. I checked two. One was a whole pound lighter than the other. You may want to change the strings, but it's a solid bass for the money.  Skip the packages. If you need an amp, go straight to the Rumble 40 combo. If your audio interface has an Instrument input, you can skip the amp and go direct. Amazing sound for so little money and weight.

Of course this video uses the blue one, $30 more than the other colors ($299). There are a ton of YT videos on this bass for your listening pleasure!

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2022 at 9:59 AM, Lord Smith said:

Ibanez and Squier both make great basses in this range. I have an Ibanez PCBE12MH and it's awesome. Has an active EQ so you can really sculpt the sound and blend between the p-style and jazz pickups. I paid $280 new for it and it's great.

But if you can increase your budget i'd like to suggest check this Schecter 2794 or Yamaha BBP35.

Probably way too late but I have an Ibanez & like it.

• 2 weeks later...