Setting Default Music Columns in Windows Explorer (File Type) [ SOLVED!!! :-) ]

User 905133

I seem to recall knowing how to do this, but I forgot how and can't remember the right words to find it via an Internet search. (Maybe it was possible on XP SP3 and was eliminated  from Win 10 / Win 10 Pro?)

IMPORTANT: I am not looking for how to change the default columns for a specific folder (and subfolders) or for all folders. I am looking for changing the default columns by file type. 

image.png.61af25577ab8e9f9d462fed4ff748a53.png

For example:

image.png.14f86acb05e9ef1080f6e8a8f46075c3.png

BTW, I looked up "how to change default detail columns in windows explorer" and read through a number of "hits" that specifically mention doing this by type already. Also, looked up "how to change default detail columns in windows explorer by file type."

UPDATE: It took a bit of reading through the "hits," but I found a method that works.  

Alternatively, you can change the "music" template itself. So that any folder that windows explorer opens which it automatically applies the "music" template, will display whatever customized view you made.

In the currently open folder that is already in "Music" view mode/template (ie. with columns for artists, genre, etc.), manually change the columns to the desired fields by:

Right-clicking on the title row (row containing Name, #, title, artists, album), and select More... in the pop-up menu.
Change the column selection and order to your desired layout.
Save the changed layout as the default for the "Music" template by:

Open up the File menu (top left)
Select "Change folder and search options"
Select the "View" tab
Under the "Folders views" section, select "Apply to Folders"
Once that is applied, all folders that file explorer will default to "Music" view mode/template will now use this layout.

Clarification: This method seems to work by changing the default columns for file type groups (as opposed to file type as listed in the type column).  In other words, since *.mid, *.wav, *.ogg, etc. are considered part of the "Music" file type group, they all reflect my desired change.  

Edited by User 905133
(3) Added a clarifying note. (2) Added "SOLVED" and posted solution. (1) Made edits for the sake of clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...