Import Stereo file in two tracks,L & R

FJ Lamela

1 hour ago, FJ Lamela said:

Posibility of import stereo file, splited in 2 tracks : L, R

You can split it yourself.

What if you dont want the stereo track to be split on import to save some track space | OR | because it doesnt need extra work done on it? 

Edited by Will.

33 minutes ago, marled said:

Having seen the simple way how you can split or put together stereo tracks in Audacity, I always wondered why it is so painful and fault-prone in most other daws with bouncing!

It is actualy really easy in CbB. ☺

46 minutes ago, Will. said:

It is actualy really easy in CbB. ☺

Are you really sure whether there is no loudness change? In Audacity it is simple and keeping the exact loudness level, in CbB it is tricky, you have to check if there is no loudness change!

8 hours ago, Will. said:

What if you dont want the stereo track to be split on import to save some track space | OR | because it doesnt need extra work done on it? 

Do you understand what "posibility" means ?.  Of course you dont.

Posibility is the option of, It is not the obligation of.

Having options in a software is always something positive and for users it is a plus.

"Import as mono" simply combines L and R into a mono stream. It's handy when you're given stereo tracks that aren't really stereo, with the same data on L and R.  In that situation, however, I import as stereo, split to dual mono and delete one of the mono tracks. And then gently inform the submitter on how to create mono files in the first place. This avoids potential problems with phase cancellation (e.g. L and R are almost identical but not quite) and the 3dB loudness boost that marled alluded to above.

There is no intrinsic function for automatically splitting stereo into separate tracks when importing an audio file. 

Of course, splitting the track is trivially easy after importing, which is probably why I can't recall the topic ever coming up before. OP, what is your use-case? Are you editing podcasts or something where you have two speakers talking into a single stereo microphone?

[P.S. Let's keep the tone civil, guys. This topic isn't worthy of passion. The OP didn't suggest that Cakewalk should  automatically do pitch correction on import or something, he just suggested a minor feature.]

1 hour ago, FJ Lamela said:

If it is this way, thanks, but description "import as mono track" has confuse to me.

It does what you want. Tracks come as two separate mono tracks belongs to two different channels which were panned hard left and hard right.

But yes, description can be like "Import as separate mono tracks" When I first saw it, I thought it'll turn it to a mono track when importing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, murat k. said:

It does what you want. Tracks come as two separate mono tracks belongs to two different channels which were panned hard left and hard right.

But yes, description can be like "Import as separate mono tracks" When I first saw it, I thought it'll turn it to a mono track when importing.

Thank you, I thought it was just me who had thought like that

50 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

"Import as mono" simply combines L and R into a mono stream. It's handy when you're given stereo tracks that aren't really stereo, with the same data on L and R.  In that situation, however, I import as stereo, split to dual mono and delete one of the mono tracks. And then gently inform the submitter on how to create mono files in the first place. This avoids potential problems with phase cancellation (e.g. L and R are almost identical but not quite) and the 3dB loudness boost that marled alluded to above.

There is no intrinsic function for automatically splitting stereo into separate tracks when importing an audio file. 

Are you sure?

Here is a video showing an imported stereo clip imported and what happens when importing the same clip with Import as Mono Tracks enabled.

BAYYOzU.gif

Nice to know this can be done easily. However, improvements can be made.

1. When importing/dragging a stereo file, original levels aren't maintained. The split files come in hotter than the original.

- Peak dBs:

Stereo file = -0.5 dB

Left split file = 1.1 dB

Right split file = 2.5 dB

Combined split = 3.6 dB

Curious why either one of the split files is hotter than the stereo file.

2. Pan must be set manually.

3. Option to split should be added to  drag&drop function and selectable in Preferences.

Edited for some clarity.

Edited by sjoens
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sjoens said:

Nice to know this can be done easily. However, improvements can be made.

1. Original levels aren't maintained. The split files come in hotter than the original.

- Peak dBs:

Stereo file = -0.5 dB

Left split file = 1.1 dB

Right split file = 2.5 dB

Combined split = 3.6 dB

Curious why either one of the split files is hotter than the stereo file.

2. Pan must be set manually.

3. Option to split should be added to  drag&drop function and selectable in Preferences.

If a file was recorded with two of the same mics, both L&R channels will be balanced. Using two completely different brands - Rode or Telefunken: The sensitivities of thes are different, so the dB of each channel in the stereo field will vary. 

10 hours ago, scook said:

Here is a video showing an imported stereo clip imported and what happens when importing the same clip with Import as Mono Tracks enabled

Yes it splits off the left and right channels into separate mono tracks and hard pans the tracks left and right.
If its a multichannel wave file it will extract each mono channel but won’t change the pan.
With a surround file it will attempt to set the corresponding surround channel if there is a surround bus (IIRC)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Will. said:

My messages gets deleted and I get a warning because this guy literally calls me stupid after I had given him advice on this feature that is already available is CbB? 

Okay.

I have never insulted anyone in any forum. I haven't insulted you either.

If that has seemed to you, I apologize but it was not my intention.

My native language is not English, maybe the way I express myself is not correct but I have not intended to insult anyone.

On 10/24/2022 at 2:09 AM, Will. said:

I gaved gou advice here. 

On 10/24/2022 at 10:31 AM, FJ Lamela said:

Do you understand what "posibility" means ?.  Of course you dont.

Posibility is the option of, It is not the obligation of.

Having options in a software is always something positive and for users it is a plus.

Then you go and insult me here, but I get a warning? 

Wookiee can ban me for all I care! 

Sorry what is the insult?.

I ask you seriously? I have not used any swear words, or bad-sounding words. Can you please point out what the insult is?

I wanted to express that I did not want to do anything mandatory, I wanted to say that it was a possibility, but it was clear that you did not understand that I did not want to force anything. If you consider that an insult, then I'm sorry, but I repeat, it was not my intention.

And I repeat my native language is not English, it may be that some phrases are made incorrectly but I do not think that with this I insult anyone.

EVERYBODY, please take a chill pill.  If folks can just let any perceived slight or insult go, and move on, we can all get back to trying to help each other.

Besides being a musician, and a moderator/host, I used to play basketball, and had a blast playing in 15 different countries.  I mention that because that experience exposed my to all kinds of different cultures and languages.  Every country I visited had unique phrases, and ways of speaking, and them trying to communicate with me in English, or my trying to talk with a referee who didn't speak English, in such a way that I didn't get thrown out of a game, happened with enough regularity that I  felt humbled quite frequently.

From what I have read in this thread, someone who is not a native English speaker happened to word a post in a manner perceived as insulting, kicking off the comments resulting in a warning, and some ongoing feelings of being slighted.  

The non-English speaking member has repeatedly indicated that he had no intent to say anything insulting.

That needs to be the end of the back and forth in this matter.  There was no intent to ruffle anybody's feathers, and that poster has repeatedly apologized for not having a better grasp of phrasing things in English.

Let's please let this all go, and please accept the aplogies, and move on. 

Bob Bone :)

• Thanks 2