Crashes during playback

Laurence Levin

I'm getting frequent crashes during playback of a mix, and there's no ability to recover my work - it happens when I play and pause my work, and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do. 

Right now, I've done some pretty big CWBBL projects on this computer. Now I'm just doing a 6 track MIDI with EZ Drummer, and it's crashing all the time. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Laurence Levin said:

Does EZDrummer and other plugins offer the option of choosing a VST2 or VST3 form? If so, what are the logistics of using a VST2 version? Thanks!

Depends on version.  For exapmle EZDrummer v3 does not support VST2, AFAIK.

• Like 1

Thanks. I did have a second VST3 plugin loaded, and CWBBL was crashing every second. I'm still getting unexpected crashes about every hour, so I have to constantly save my work. I wish this program was more stable and at least auto recover when it crashes. 

I assume there must be issues with my system because I doubt everyone has this problem.

21 hours ago, Laurence Levin said:

Does EZDrummer and other plugins offer the option of choosing a VST2 or VST3 form? If so, what are the logistics of using a VST2 version? Thanks!

I believe most if not all VSTs that have both versions include both versions when you download them.
Check your Cakewalk Plug-in Manager. Or Preferences>VST Settings>uncheck 'Hide Related VST 2 Plug-ins'. 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 11:23 AM, 57Gregy said:

I believe most if not all VSTs that have both versions include both versions when you download them.
Check your Cakewalk Plug-in Manager. Or Preferences>VST Settings>uncheck 'Hide Related VST 2 Plug-ins'. 

Ok. Now the VST2 versions of EZDrummer and EZBass appear. Are there any advantages and disadvantages to opting for the VST2 version?

12 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If Cakewalk is crashing it should be producing a dump file. Find it (the crash dialog will link it) and send it to us and we can investigate what caused it.

Luckily, this project isn't crashing anymore. 

Lately, when CWBBL does crash, usually during transport, it just hangs and then crashes. Unfortunately, there isn't any recovered file or dialogue box when I reopen the program. 

I'm glad I reached out. I'll try VST2 for future projects.

Thanks!