M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32

whoisp

19 hours ago, azslow3 said:

General rule with Cakewalk: always start it with the same MIDI devices connected into the same USB slots. Unfortunately that is not always practical or even not possible (I have several MIDI devices and I don't want switch all of them on every time I start a DAW, I also use different audio devices with different settings and that is real nightmare in all DAWs I use, why even "smartest" DAW developers can't at least remember one set of settings for each interface, better several presets, is a good question...).

The main issue is that Windows doesn't give MIDI devices a unique identifier - all you get is an index number and a name.  If your MIDI interfaces/devices are plugged in to the same ports every time at the time you boot up your PC,  they almost always get given the same index number.  If you arbitrarily plug them in, there's no guarantee the index number will be the same.

Cakewalk uses a the index number give by Windows, then falls back on matching on the name if the index number/name is different from what it was previously.  The problem with a lot of class compliant interfaces, is they come back with exactly the same name.  There's nothing we can do in this scenario.

What Cakewalk doesn't do now (which it used to do), is just re-assign Control Surface ports if it's previously assigned port is missing - it now just disables that control surface.

We've discussed having different configuration presets within Cakewalk - not just for control surfaces, but also for MIDI / audio interfaces etc.  There's nothing scheduled as yet, but I hope this is something we'll see sometime next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, azslow3 said:

With me you can talk on this forum, my forum, WhatsUp/Skype/Phone.  On this forum you can "talk" to Mark (current supporter of Mackie Control in Cakewalk), Noel (long time Cakewalk developer) and other Cakewalk staff people. That is not the same as "support"  from Novation/Focusrite/M-Audio, where you normally can communicate just with (or throw) the "first level" support (people trained to answer common questions). People here not only know how all that works, but they are also able to modify related parts of the code in case that is required. ;)

You been a massive help, I managed to get the Launch Key 25  MK III working well, does what i want, cakewalk said it would do what i wanted when i asked what i needed it for.  MIDI ACT _ MID LEARN is pretty straight forward depending on how complex you want to be with a controller.  For me totally controlling a DAW with a controller is pointless when your mixing on the PC or mastering. I see a controller for workflow but i guess people want them for different objectives  

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, whoisp said:

I have  kept my full size Yamaha keyboard which goes through my interface on the old midi ports which goes through my UMC1820 midi in and midi out, works a dream no problems, however;

i needed more functions, even though my full keys are touch sensitive and  i have sustain peddle  i had no mod or pitch wheel or knobs which come in handy for automation with synth work and sound design. So i ended up getting a the New MIII Novation launchkey 25  USB with pads, pitch wheel and knobs etc

Like anything USB it acts as a storage device so to speak and with Novation, you need to update to the Novation USB drivers which gives you two midi inputs LKMK3 MIDI and MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) and two midi outputs the same but different names. Do not ask me why not just one midi in and out i can not get anyone to tell me, i guess maybe a new protocol given its called MIII. However i add both inputs and outputs to see which one works the best but what i have noticed is MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) works better with ACT MIDI Controller. 

I added MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) as a ACT midi Controller input output and did not setup a Mackie, there is no point its not a Mackie controller and ACT as more functions.  You can see i have full control Synthmaster with the 8 Rotary knobs on Novation launchkey 25, i have full pitch, mod and play record etc which is all i need and created my own template preset, i got there in the end but it was worth it. I got £400 of plugins free with it and only paid £90 for the  MIII Novation launchkey 25 so i am happy

image.thumb.png.049929dcbcbb0c368372783d9dfe1b92.png

I see you bought the Novation Launchkey 25 Mk3 a while back and are using it in Cakewalk. Are you happy with it, and would you recommend it for a Cakewalk user? Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CageCatchum said:

I see you bought the Novation Launchkey 25 Mk3 a while back and are using it in Cakewalk. Are you happy with it, and would you recommend it for a Cakewalk user? Thanks for the post.

I love it for a controller, great for navigation of sounds for my workflow instead of siting by big full keys keyboard whilst reaching over to mouse or pc keyboard.

I mainly got it for recording automation with pitch and mod wheels but also the rotatory knobs  to use with my synthmaster plugin. good for arp and bass lines

I do use it also to record comp  when i play electric Guitar and bass so i am not sat by PC but on my guitar stool i prefer playing on or standing up, ive programmed some buttons to undo and bounce whilst playing guitar so i not walking backwards and forwards to pc.   

Basically ive save hours with my work flow  and got good free plugins i use with it and samples haha

• 2 weeks later...