M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32

whoisp

Anyone using M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32?  ive read only works with Pro Tools and Studio >

Honestly its given me head ache. Not to fused about the keys, more so needed for work flow for  pitch/Mod Wheel then to fine tune after with automation, simple pads and buttons. Something maybe with presets and doesn't break easy, Nektar Impact do list cakewalk 

Also looking at 

The Novation Mini MK III 

Akai Mini MK3

Nektar Impact LX MINI

Native In KK A25 

MiniLab 3 

• 1 month later...

I'm having similar issues. I've gotten only so far.  First I watched the Creative Sauce video titled Cakewalk Hardware Control.  It at least generically explains what needs to be set up in Preferences, the controller hardware, and how to add a control surface definition in Cakewalk.  Mike says the hardware needs to be set to Mackie MCU mode.  He doesn't explain how to do that for the Oxygen Pro Mini specifically, but he advises that if the controller has Cubase mode, that may be a good starting point. Here's what I did:

1) Connect the Pro Mini via USB to the PC. Don't start Cakewalk yet.

2) Set the Pro Mini to Cubase mode:  a) toggle the DAW/Preset button so it is lighted, b) press and hold it  until DAW appears in the Pro Mini display, c) use the Encoder knob directly below the display to scroll to CUBASE, and then press down the Encoder knob to set the Pro Mini to CUBASE mode.

3) Start Cakewalk and select New Project >> (Basic or Blank project will do.)

4) Go to Edit >> Preferences.    Select MIDI >> Devices.  Select the checkboxes in the Input Drivers and Output Drivers section for "Oxygen Pro Mini" and for "MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini)" and "MIDIOUT3 (Oxygen Pro Mini)".  Click Apply.

5) Go to MIDI >> Control Surfaces. Click the star button at the top right (next to the red X). In the popup window, click the Controller/Surface dropdown and select Mackie Control, and select MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini)  from the dropdowns for Input Port and Output Port.  Click OK.

6) While still in MIDI>> Control Surfaces, again click the star button; this time, in the popup window, select ACT Control Surface and select Oxygen Pro Mini as the Input Port and Output Port for this.  Click OK. Click Apply and exit the Preferences window. 

7) Go to Utilities >> Mackie Control 1. It takes a moment to load.  Under Protocol, select Mackie Control Universal (Cubase Mode) Exit this popup.

With the above settings in Preferences, if I load a VST instrument like a piano, the Oxygen Pro Mini keyboard will play the notes, velocity of key strike works, Pitch Bend and Mod wheels work.  I was also able to assign a couple of knobs on the Pro Mini to knob controls in the VST. To do that, I clicked the ACT learn mode button at the top right of the VST window, then right click the knob I wanted to control (a popup appears for that) and I click Learn in the popup, then twist the physical knob on the Pro Mini, and, seeing that the parameter is changing in the VST window, click the ACT learn mode button in the VST again. 

I had to use my mouse to arm the VST track, but then I was able to start recording by pressing the Pro Mini's record button, stop recording with the Pro Mini, and all the transport controls on the Pro Mini worked as expected.   

Nice, BUT - I can't disarm that track for recording using the mouse or otherwise.   If I delete the track, I can add a new VST instrument track, arm it using the mouse, and do the same thing, but the new track also cannot be disarmed.  I see to the left of the track controls there is a thin green bar which says that Mackie Control is active when I hover on it, but nowhere does it say that ACT is also active. I think my remaining issues may be related to Mackie Control and ACT Control being defined/selected in Preferences. 

Ideas?

Jeremy - note that the OP and I are talking about the Oxygen Pro Mini. It's also class compliant, but it's not the same as the Oxygen 61.  The M-Audio instructions for setting up the Pro Mini (in any DAW) are not the same as the Oxygen 61.  On the Pro Mini, there's NO option to specify PC or Mac in the Global settings like there is on the Oxygen 61, for example.

I did my homework, on both the M-Audio and CbB support pages/forums. There is nothing currently published on either web presence that results in a good, working integration of the M-Audio Pro Mini with Cakewalk.  That doesn't mean it isn't possible.  I'm pretty close, using the steps I captured above. 

The reason I posted the method I used and the functions that are/aren't working is I'm hoping there are actual Oxygen Pro Mini users on the CbB forums who can help us quickly get to a good, repeatable working Cakewalk DAW setup, step-by-step, for Oxygen Pro Mini. 

Anyone out there willing to help with this specific request?

Ok, I have the Oxygen Pro Mini controls working acceptably in Cakewalk now, as a result of further testing and changes to my initial setup outlined above. Main change: I did not define an ACT controller, only the "Mackie Control" included with Cakewalk.  I still notice a few anomalies, and I've only done this on an AMD Ryzen 7 4000 series laptop running Win 10, connected via USB. But I did achieve a repeatable setup process, throwing out all prior controller and midi device settings in the current version of Cakewalk by Bandlabs, and resetting the Pro Mini between setup iterations. 

Here are the M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini setup steps for Cakewalk by Bandlabs that worked reliably:

1. Connect the Pro Mini via USB to the PC. Don't start Cakewalk yet.
  2. Set the Oxygen Pro Mini to Cubase mode:  a) toggle the DAW/Preset button so it is lighted; b) press and hold it  until DAW appears in the Pro Mini display; c) use the Encoder knob directly below the display to scroll to CUBASE, and then press down (click) the Encoder knob to set the Pro Mini to CUBASE mode.
  3. Start Cakewalk and select New Project >> (Basic or Blank project will do.)
  4. Go to Edit >> Preferences in Cakewalk, or press P on the computer keyboard to bring up the Preferences window.   
  5. Select MIDI >> Devices.
  6. Under Input Drivers, check Oxygen Pro Mini and MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini)
  7. Under Output Drivers, check Oxygen Pro Mini
  8. Click Apply. (Don't click OK yet.)
  9. Select MIDI >> Control Surfaces
  10. Click the yellow start button next to the red X button. In the popup window, click the Controller/Surface dropdown and select Mackie Control. Click the dropdown for Input Port and select MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini). Click the dropdown for Output Port and select None.  Click OK to exit this popup window.
  11. Click Apply (just to be sure), and click OK to exit the Preferences window.
  12. Select Utilities >> Mackie Control.  It takes a moment to load.
  13. Under Protocol, select Mackie Control Universal (Cubase Mode) Click the X at top right of this popup to close it.

Testing the Oxygen Pro Mini setup in Cakewalk

• In track mode in Cakewalk, select the Plugins tab from the Cakewalk Browser.  Find a VST2 or VST instrument. I suggest a Piano VST for this. 
  • Drag and drop the instrument to the Track window; accept defaults and add it as a Simple Instrument track.
  • Click the small keyboard icon in the top left of the new track. The instrument control window will pop up.  (Many VSTs require you to load a program or preset in this popup in order to hear sounds. Some don't need this extra step.)
  • Play some keys on the keyboard. If you don't hear sounds, check the In/Out section of the vertical track window on the left. It may work as Omni, but if not, trying changing it to MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini) in the Input dropdown.  The Output dropdown should be set to Master. If still no sound, be aware that some VST instruments use only a subset of the piano keyboard. 
  • While you're looking at the vertical track control strip, right click on the channel fader.  Select Remote Control in the popup.  Select the Controller radio button.  Click the Learn button.  Now, on the Oxygen Pro Mini, move the first fader fully up and down once.  Click OK to exit the popup.  Now moving the physical slider on the Pro Mini should move the track fader in Cakewalk. 
  • Again, in the Cakewalk track strip, right click the Pan control.  Select Remote Control, select the Controller radio button, click Learn, and now rotate the leftmost knob above the pads fully from stop to stop. Click OK.  now the leftmost physical knob on the Oxygen Pro Mini should move the Cakewalk channel pan left and right. This may require some "tuning" to get right. 
  • Right click the fader in the Master channel next to the current instrument track.  Same steps as before, except when it's time to move a physical fader on the Pro Mini, move the rightmost fader once through it's highest and lowest levels.  The Master fader in Cakewalk should move with the righmost Pro Mini fader, and the leftmost Pro Mini fader should still move the Instrument track fader. 

If this all works, if you have the Instrument's popup window open, and if you click the DAW/Preset button on the Pro Mini so that it is now not lighted, press and hold that button to bring up the Preset display on the Pro Mini.  Turn the Encoder knob, below the display, till you reach Preset 9. Click the Encoder knob down to select this user preset.  Once you have this, you should be able to assign some controls in the VST Instrument's control window to physical controls on the Oxygen Pro Mini.  When you have these as you like them, remember to save the Preset with the name "Preset 9" in Cakewalk. 

I can't promise that this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.  If there's a better way, let me know.

• Like 1

I have  kept my full size Yamaha keyboard which goes through my interface on the old midi ports which goes through my UMC1820 midi in and midi out, works a dream no problems, however;

i needed more functions, even though my full keys are touch sensitive and  i have sustain peddle  i had no mod or pitch wheel or knobs which come in handy for automation with synth work and sound design. So i ended up getting a the New MIII Novation launchkey 25  USB with pads, pitch wheel and knobs etc

Like anything USB it acts as a storage device so to speak and with Novation, you need to update to the Novation USB drivers which gives you two midi inputs LKMK3 MIDI and MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) and two midi outputs the same but different names. Do not ask me why not just one midi in and out i can not get anyone to tell me, i guess maybe a new protocol given its called MIII. However i add both inputs and outputs to see which one works the best but what i have noticed is MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) works better with ACT MIDI Controller. 

I added MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) as a ACT midi Controller input output and did not setup a Mackie, there is no point its not a Mackie controller and ACT as more functions.  You can see i have full control Synthmaster with the 8 Rotary knobs on Novation launchkey 25, i have full pitch, mod and play record etc which is all i need and created my own template preset, i got there in the end but it was worth it. I got £400 of plugins free with it and only paid £90 for the  MIII Novation launchkey 25 so i am happy

image.thumb.png.049929dcbcbb0c368372783d9dfe1b92.png

19 hours ago, John P said:

10. Click the yellow start button next to the red X button. In the popup window, click the Controller/Surface dropdown and select Mackie Control. Click the dropdown for Input Port and select MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini). Click the dropdown for Output Port and select None.  Click OK to exit this popup window.

• Play some keys on the keyboard. If you don't hear sounds, check the In/Out section of the vertical track window on the left. It may work as Omni, but if not, trying changing it to MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini) in the Input dropdown.  The Output dropdown should be set to Master. If still no sound, be aware that some VST instruments use only a subset of the piano keyboard. 

I can't promise that this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.  If there's a better way, let me know.

Bold parts can't work at the same time. Once MIDIIN3 is assigned to Mackie, all messages from it are blocked. And device is not sending keys there in any case (till in custom setup).

In general, you mention 3 different methods to use MIDI controller in Cakewalk:

1. throw Control Surface plug-in (AKA ACT, even so only one of such plug-in has "ACT MIDI" in the name). That you activate with Cubase mode on device and Mackie plug-in in Cubase mode in Cakewalk.  You doesn't mention/use that in "Testing" part.
  2. "Remote Control" of particular Cakewalk elements. In "Testing" you recommend move controls "all the way" during learning. From my knowledge Cakewalk is not sufficiently "smart" to learn control type/range. It just take the first message and use corresponding default value range.
  3. MIDI learn inside VSTi.

For 2 and 3 important is "simple" type of the message the control sends. In general on devices without touch function nor encoders that is default (till in Mackie/HUI imitating mode and the mode is activated), so I guess any "not DAW" preset for Mini can be used for both.

For 3 important is enabled echo on the track. So keys should work ("produce sound"). In Cakewalk that is default for focused track, but some users "manage" to switch that off.

Note that "ACT MIDI" supports an alternative way to control plug-ins, "Plug-in dynamic mapping" (also at many places/texts called just "ACT"...). Mackie does not support that way (it uses yet another way, "Plug-in direct control", which is not supported by "ACT MIDI"...). There are several differences between MIDI learn inside plug-in and plug-in controlling throw surface plug-ins:

• MIDI learn only works for plug-ins with MIDI input and only when that input is active ("echo on"). That means most FXes are not controllable that way (the have no MIDI input). Surface plug-ins can control any plug-in which expose automation parameters, independent from MIDI inputs.
  • MIDI learned changes are recorded into MIDI clip, as "CCs" (assuming control sends CC). Surface plug-ins modify automations, so changes are recorded as automations.
  • MIDI learned assignment are remembered by plug-in, this particular plug-in way. So can be preset dependent. Surface plug-ins mappings are saved separately by Cakewalk, they are activated any time corresponding plug-in is loaded, even with other preset or in other project.
  • Note really a difference... But worse to mention: for Mackie, plug-ins mappings has to be manually written by user (also I doubt Mini in Cubase mode can select FX to control control). For "Plug-in dynamic mapping" all assignments are saved into 2 system-wide XML files, and sometimes Cakewalk can corrupt them, effectively loosing all created mappings (till good versions are backuped by user).

Finally, the only "perfect" way to integrate Mini into Cakewalk is AZ Controller. Mini has more controls then "ACT MIDI" support and its hardware controls don't match Mackie and so ineffective in that mode. But no-one has created corresponding preset so far. People normally just stop at "working acceptably", with any controller 😏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azslow3 said:

Bold parts can't work at the same time. Once MIDIIN3 is assigned to Mackie, all messages from it are blocked. And device is not sending keys there in any case (till in custom setup).

In general, you mention 3 different methods to use MIDI controller in Cakewalk:

1. throw Control Surface plug-in (AKA ACT, even so only one of such plug-in has "ACT MIDI" in the name). That you activate with Cubase mode on device and Mackie plug-in in Cubase mode in Cakewalk.  You doesn't mention/use that in "Testing" part.
  2. "Remote Control" of particular Cakewalk elements. In "Testing" you recommend move controls "all the way" during learning. From my knowledge Cakewalk is not sufficiently "smart" to learn control type/range. It just take the first message and use corresponding default value range.
  3. MIDI learn inside VSTi.

For 2 and 3 important is "simple" type of the message the control sends. In general on devices without touch function nor encoders that is default (till in Mackie/HUI imitating mode and the mode is activated), so I guess any "not DAW" preset for Mini can be used for both.

For 3 important is enabled echo on the track. So keys should work ("produce sound"). In Cakewalk that is default for focused track, but some users "manage" to switch that off.

Note that "ACT MIDI" supports an alternative way to control plug-ins, "Plug-in dynamic mapping" (also at many places/texts called just "ACT"...). Mackie does not support that way (it uses yet another way, "Plug-in direct control", which is not supported by "ACT MIDI"...). There are several differences between MIDI learn inside plug-in and plug-in controlling throw surface plug-ins:

• MIDI learn only works for plug-ins with MIDI input and only when that input is active ("echo on"). That means most FXes are not controllable that way (the have no MIDI input). Surface plug-ins can control any plug-in which expose automation parameters, independent from MIDI inputs.
  • MIDI learned changes are recorded into MIDI clip, as "CCs" (assuming control sends CC). Surface plug-ins modify automations, so changes are recorded as automations.
  • MIDI learned assignment are remembered by plug-in, this particular plug-in way. So can be preset dependent. Surface plug-ins mappings are saved separately by Cakewalk, they are activated any time corresponding plug-in is loaded, even with other preset or in other project.
  • Note really a difference... But worse to mention: for Mackie, plug-ins mappings has to be manually written by user (also I doubt Mini in Cubase mode can select FX to control control). For "Plug-in dynamic mapping" all assignments are saved into 2 system-wide XML files, and sometimes Cakewalk can corrupt them, effectively loosing all created mappings (till good versions are backuped by user).

Finally, the only "perfect" way to integrate Mini into Cakewalk is AZ Controller. Mini has more controls then "ACT MIDI" support and its hardware controls don't match Mackie and so ineffective in that mode. But no-one has created corresponding preset so far. People normally just stop at "working acceptably", with any controller 😏

I actually did  look at AZ Controller by Alexey Zhelezov because it came up as one of the fixes for Novation however the new MKIII gives you two midi inputs LKMK3 MIDI and MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) but everything i needed to work, worked with  "ACT MIDI" but my friend couldn't get his M Audio working like i got my Novation working. 

4 hours ago, whoisp said:

Like anything USB it acts as a storage device so to speak and with Novation, you need to update to the Novation USB drivers which gives you two midi inputs LKMK3 MIDI and MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) and two midi outputs the same but different names. Do not ask me why not just one midi in and out i can not get anyone to tell me, i guess maybe a new protocol given its called MIII.

Here is the explanation: some DAWs are able to route one port (a MIDI device from software perspective) as "normal" MIDI (f.e. as input to VST Instruments) and to control the DAW. Obviously messages for controlling the DAW should be filtered out, f.e. Mackie sliders are sending "PitchBend" MIDI messages, you don't want change the pitch in your synth when you change the volume of your track.  DAWs in that category are Ableton and Cakewalk (while Cakewalk has no way to block the output to device in that mode, but that are details...).

But most DAWs need a separate  port (device) for DAW controlling. And if some device pretend it can emulate "standard" controllers, like Mackie, it can't send keys to the same port. That is not technically possible, even in Cakewalk (with Mackie surface plug-in).

Many controllers, including Lauchkey, are Ableton oriented. And so the have (or had) just one port. But if they want support "other DAWs", they have to implement at least 2 pairs of ports. And that has happened with MK3, they just want attract more users.

--------------

Which ports to use depends from what the device is sending, in most controllers (Launchkey including) that is freely configurable. In factory presets other then for Ableton, "DAW controlling" messages are send throw "DAW controlling port". And so this port has to be used to catch that messages.

--------------

"ACT MIDI" not only has strict limit on the number of controls, it also does not show the messages it receive. So you can't easily check which port you want.
Another limitation is just "banks" based switching what particular controls operate. That in practice is not flexible, especially with limited number of available controls.
How a control modify target parameter is also fixed, just "jump" and "catch" are possible. That is not always practical, at least not for all cases.

--------------

"AZ Controller" does not has these limitations. It supports unlimited number of possible controls, modifiers and combinations. It shows last receive MIDI message. I has several fancy modes for finite hardware controls.  It also support several instances, so several ports can be configured in one preset (for the "Master" instance) or separately. And when device has controllable LEDs, it can use them as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, azslow3 said:

Here is the explanation: some DAWs are able to route one port (a MIDI device from software perspective) as "normal" MIDI (f.e. as input to VST Instruments) and to control the DAW. Obviously messages for controlling the DAW should be filtered out, f.e. Mackie sliders are sending "PitchBend" MIDI messages, you don't want change the pitch in your synth when you change the volume of your track.  DAWs in that category are Ableton and Cakewalk (while Cakewalk has no way to block the output to device in that mode, but that are details...).

But most DAWs need a separate  port (device) for DAW controlling. And if some device pretend it can emulate "standard" controllers, like Mackie, it can't send keys to the same port. That is not technically possible, even in Cakewalk (with Mackie surface plug-in).

Many controllers, including Lauchkey, are Ableton oriented. And so the have (or had) just one port. But if they want support "other DAWs", they have to implement at least 2 pairs of ports. And that has happened with MK3, they just want attract more users.

--------------

Which ports to use depends from what the device is sending, in most controllers (Launchkey including) that is freely configurable. In factory presets other then for Ableton, "DAW controlling" messages are send throw "DAW controlling port". And so this port has to be used to catch that messages.

--------------

"ACT MIDI" not only has strict limit on the number of controls, it also does not show the messages it receive. So you can't easily check which port you want.
Another limitation is just "banks" based switching what particular controls operate. That in practice is not flexible, especially with limited number of available controls.
How a control modify target parameter is also fixed, just "jump" and "catch" are possible. That is not always practical, at least not for all cases.

--------------

"AZ Controller" does not has these limitations. It supports unlimited number of possible controls, modifiers and combinations. It shows last receive MIDI message. I has several fancy modes for finite hardware controls.  It also support several instances, so several ports can be configured in one preset (for the "Master" instance) or separately. And when device has controllable LEDs, it can use them as well.

Its something i may look at but the  Launchkey only has 8 knobs anyway and just the right amount of buttons i need. The problem i had, was my Yamaha keyboard (full size and action)  which i love for playing and jamming had no Pitch wheel or mod or knobs for when i used a synth plugin (i generally use synthmaster) i only could use my peddle .

I wanted the Launchkey for just a few extra functions and ease for work flow. I looked at all the 25 Keys and mini Keys but decided in the end to go with  Launchkey. The price was drop and the free software plugins swung it with one guy i knew had it working with Cakewalk. 

Its made writing automation less time consuming (in more than one way) and better for jamming with filters swing, gates, mutate, filters, res and other FX in real time what i can tweak with automation.  

Ive also got my basics to hand what i use all the time when jamming on Guitar because the controller right next to me. Play, record, undo and bonce ive got programmed in and for browsing through sounds.  My workflow much faster now and i have what i need without going OTT to do production.   i got it for a steal in the sale and some great software. Im also happy with the pads and how i can manipulate arps in real time. 

The one down side is from time to time when i reopen a project, i have to delete ACT MIDI Controllers and add them again for the 8 rotary knobs to work on synthmaster. For some reason they stop working and i am not sure where the bug is or if its me and why i was going to try "AZ Controller"

2 hours ago, whoisp said:

The one down side is from time to time when i reopen a project, i have to delete ACT MIDI Controllers and add them again for the 8 rotary knobs to work on synthmaster. For some reason they stop working and i am not sure where the bug is or if its me and why i was going to try "AZ Controller"

My first guess is a bug in Cakewalk, it likes messing with MIDI assignments of Control Surfaces (started in some version, then was changed/improved/modified, but I am not sure it is eliminated completely...). "AZ Controller" will not help if that is the issue, it also use Cakewalk MIDI (for that reason I was thinking several times to work with MIDI devices directly, but mentioned "one port for everything" case will be impossible then).

General rule with Cakewalk: always start it with the same MIDI devices connected into the same USB slots. Unfortunately that is not always practical or even not possible (I have several MIDI devices and I don't want switch all of them on every time I start a DAW, I also use different audio devices with different settings and that is real nightmare in all DAWs I use, why even "smartest" DAW developers can't at least remember one set of settings for each interface, better several presets, is a good question...).

3 minutes ago, azslow3 said:

My first guess is a bug in Cakewalk, it likes messing with MIDI assignments of Control Surfaces (started in some version, then was changed/improved/modified, but I am not sure it is eliminated completely...). "AZ Controller" will not help if that is the issue, it also use Cakewalk MIDI (for that reason I was thinking several times to work with MIDI devices directly, but mentioned "one port for everything" case will be impossible then).

General rule with Cakewalk: always start it with the same MIDI devices connected into the same USB slots. Unfortunately that is not always practical or even not possible (I have several MIDI devices and I don't want switch all of them on every time I start a DAW, I also use different audio devices with different settings and that is real nightmare in all DAWs I use, why even "smartest" DAW developers can't at least remember one set of settings for each interface, better several presets, is a good question...).

Yes i have a permanent setup with USB and MIDI in same ports. The full size keys and peddle never a single problem in the audio interface old midi ports.  

I believe its a bug with cakewalk and the ACT midi controller. Out of the two devices it adds 

1) LKMK3 MIDI and

2) MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) 

Act midi only works on the 2) MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) will not work on 1) LKMK3 MIDI to control a plugin like synthmaster so i am guessing the act control tech is more compatible with the whatever MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) 

2 minutes ago, whoisp said:

Act midi only works on the 2) MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) will not work on 1) LKMK3 MIDI to control a plugin like synthmaster so i am guessing the act control tech is more compatible with the whatever MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI)

Keyboard sends MIDI from each particular control to one port only. Which one depends from the keyboard settings, so currently loaded preset and activated mode. That is not something Cakewalk nor surface plug-in can influence (till plug-in knows how to switch mode/preset...).

The "bug" I have mentioned was rather confusing, in your example even so you could see let say "MIDIIN2" in the preferences, the DAW was actually using "LKMK3" instead. If that can happened in the current Cakewalk version I am not sure, I have not observed the effect for a while (but I try to be careful with connections...).

22 hours ago, whoisp said:

I actually did  look at AZ Controller by Alexey Zhelezov because it came up as one of the fixes for Novation however the new MKIII gives you two midi inputs LKMK3 MIDI and MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI) but everything i needed to work, worked with  "ACT MIDI" but my friend couldn't get his M Audio working like i got my Novation working. 

Just so you know, you're talking to the creator of AZ Controller.

• Like 1

@whoisp: I haven't read all the details in this thread (lack of time) so this may be pertinent or not. I have been able to make my Oxygen Pro 61 work very well with Cakewalk using AZ Controller. You can find more info on what I did here: https://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=593.0 I have no idea if the mini works similarily or not, but maybe my implementation can give you some hints on how to integrate the mini with Cakewalk. God luck!

• Like 1

For whatever reason act control tech only works when i add the second controller (ACT MIDI Controller - 2)   I can change  ACT MIDI Controller - 1  or 2 ports to either MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI)  or  LKMK3 MIDI  doesn't matter what way round or order but the  Active Controller tech enable for synthmaster only works on  ACT MIDI Controller - 2  so must route though the fist controller

It will not work if i add just one controller (ACT MIDI Controller - 1)  no matter which one i add  MIDIIN2 (LKMK3 MIDI)  or  LKMK3 MIDI   so aforementioned must route through to  ACT MIDI Controller - 2  for some reason. Could be to do with the Novation USB drivers as it does not work without them, so must exploit the device fully with two controllers . 

ACT MIDI Controller - 1  only works the Active Controller tech for strip parameters on channel strips and my play record etc therefore limited. I always have to use ACT MIDI Controller - 2  which still does strip parameters on channels but also then give control to plugins that can handle act 

It is no biggy, ive got my act preset so if the bug happens when i open a project, i delete both controllers and add them back fresh and select my preset and all is fine.  Yes annoying but a 10 second job, 3rd world problems we can do without though  lol 

image.thumb.png.699a06e634fec7d0b95b6b769fe6fa46.png

For some reason I'm reminded of Don Quixote saying to Sancho Panza "The dogs are barking, we must be advancing!" 

Kidding, but as with all great satire, it wouldn't be funny if there weren't a hint of truth hidden beneath the absurdity.  The tragic flaw of Don Quixote was his tendency to misperceive what things really were.  When I searched the forum for "M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini" this seemed like the only viable thread about it.  And there it was, probably posted in earnest originally by whoisp, but with no reply other than a short advisory to RTFM.  I can say from experience that Reading the Manual doesn't help set up the Oxygen Pro Mini in Cakewalk. Neither did chatting/emailing with their support group.  And as I mentioned above, the Oxygen Pro Mini setup process differs from the Oxygen Pro 61 etc. 

Now I see that my Quixotic quest to help whoisp and others by enlisting this forum to help quickly document a reliable setup step-by-step for Oxygen Pro Mini is nothing more than tilting at windmills.  I'm not sure what this thread is, but it was my mistake to see it as an Oxygen Pro Mini setup how-to thread. 

Notes in passing: 

Azslow's correction to my 13 Dec 2022 posting of revised setup and test steps is valid: it doesn't work to set the track input to MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini.) For me it did work to just leave the track input in the default input setting.  

It's hard for me to understand exactly what Azslow is saying, but I think it boils down to 1) you think it's better to set it up as an ACT Controller than a Mackie Controller, 2) better still to use your AZ Controller, though 3) you advise the AZ Controller-Cakewalk interface will probably result in some instabilities or anomalies.  The anomalies you give as examples are similar to the ones I experience using the Mackie Control settings.  

I'd consider trying to use AZ Controller to make a setup for Oxygen Pro Mini in Cakewalk, except I fear that it's complex enough that issues will arise, and when they do, my only option will be to try to work through them by talking with you on the Cakewalk forum.  You are a great guy, I just don't think such a talk is possible here.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John P said:

For some reason I'm reminded of Don Quixote saying to Sancho Panza "The dogs are barking, we must be advancing!" 

Kidding, but as with all great satire, it wouldn't be funny if there weren't a hint of truth hidden beneath the absurdity.  The tragic flaw of Don Quixote was his tendency to misperceive what things really were.  When I searched the forum for "M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini" this seemed like the only viable thread about it.  And there it was, probably posted in earnest originally by whoisp, but with no reply other than a short advisory to RTFM.  I can say from experience that Reading the Manual doesn't help set up the Oxygen Pro Mini in Cakewalk. Neither did chatting/emailing with their support group.  And as I mentioned above, the Oxygen Pro Mini setup process differs from the Oxygen Pro 61 etc. 

Now I see that my Quixotic quest to help whoisp and others by enlisting this forum to help quickly document a reliable setup step-by-step for Oxygen Pro Mini is nothing more than tilting at windmills.  I'm not sure what this thread is, but it was my mistake to see it as an Oxygen Pro Mini setup how-to thread. 

Notes in passing: 

Azslow's correction to my 13 Dec 2022 posting of revised setup and test steps is valid: it doesn't work to set the track input to MIDIIN3 (Oxygen Pro Mini.) For me it did work to just leave the track input in the default input setting.  

It's hard for me to understand exactly what Azslow is saying, but I think it boils down to 1) you think it's better to set it up as an ACT Controller than a Mackie Controller, 2) better still to use your AZ Controller, though 3) you advise the AZ Controller-Cakewalk interface will probably result in some instabilities or anomalies.  The anomalies you give as examples are similar to the ones I experience using the Mackie Control settings.  

I'd consider trying to use AZ Controller to make a setup for Oxygen Pro Mini in Cakewalk, except I fear that it's complex enough that issues will arise, and when they do, my only option will be to try to work through them by talking with you on the Cakewalk forum.  You are a great guy, I just don't think such a talk is possible here.  

Hi John

I ended up buying the The Novation Launch Key 25  MK III  given i got it cheaper at the time in sale than the M-Audio 32 and came  with loads of free plugins (£400) and the feedback against the M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32 using it with cakewalk wasn't any different with both manufacture's saying they work and that was it haha 

I plugged it in,  installed the Novation update usb driver and the Novation Launch Key 25  MK III  popped up in midi devices input-output in CW preferences. Gave them a tick and apply, clicked on controller surfaces add ACT MIDI Controller - 1 and  ACT MIDI Controller - 2 because the Novation Launch Key 25  MK III adds two device drivers and clicked apply. 

Then i opened up the controller and made my own preset template (Whoisp Launch Key 25 ) the tab controllers midi learn is pretty simple to set up, hit the green box on a bank and it will say "midi learn"  and press the button or move the slider and it will learn it. For more detail go to options tab to setup Play/Stop/record, bounce and undo etc I setup all the functions i use when I'm sat next to it with guitar and extra ones for mixing. Any sliders, Rotary and buttons easy to setup then save your preset and keep updating it.

Then using record act to learn a plugin is fiddly but can also be the plugin, I can control synth-master the 8 Rotary EZ  settings with pitch and mod etc and other plugins i can control with midi act.  Once i get them working i lock my act and save my preset was all done. 

Just takes bit of time to get heard round it 

P

12 hours ago, John P said:

With me you can talk on this forum, my forum, WhatsUp/Skype/Phone.  On this forum you can "talk" to Mark (current supporter of Mackie Control in Cakewalk), Noel (long time Cakewalk developer) and other Cakewalk staff people. That is not the same as "support"  from Novation/Focusrite/M-Audio, where you normally can communicate just with (or throw) the "first level" support (people trained to answer common questions). People here not only know how all that works, but they are also able to modify related parts of the code in case that is required. ;)

• Like 1