[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.09 Update 1 Early Access [Updated to Build 37]

Morten Saether

We're pleased to announce Early Access for Update 1 of 2022.09! This release includes a small handful of user reported stability issues.

If you have encountered any of these issues, please check out this release and and confirm that your issue is resolved before we release the official public version. 

Please note that Early Access installers are update installers, which only update from a specific version. To install the 2022.09 Update 1 Early Access build, you must be on the latest public release of 2022.06 or later. 

Download Cakewalk 2022.09 Update 1 EA installer

If you haven't already done so, please read about the Early Access Program before participating.

Please keep responses specific to problems or comments on this release. Unrelated bugs or feature requests should be posted in other threads or the feature request channel.

Thanks again for your participation!
The Bakers

Updated to 28.09.0.037

This build contains the following additional improvements:

• Some VST plugins can lead to stuck notes after playback stop.
    • You can now optionally send a "Send All Notes Off" message to all VST plugins on transport stop by enabling Send All-Notes-Off Messages on Stop in Edit > Preferences > File - VST Settings.
      This option is off by default to avoid incurring delays when stopping playback when using many virtual instruments.
  • Added preference for enabling/disabling MMCSS for ASIO drivers.
    • According to the ASIO specification, ASIO drivers are recommended to independently manage their own MMCSS state. Cakewalk now excludes ASIO drivers from MMCSS mode by default, to avoid problems with certain devices.
    • To enable MMCSS for ASIO drivers, select Enable MMCSS for ASIO Driver in Edit > Preferences > Audio - Playback and Recording.  (Typically you should only enable this for drivers that are known to not support MMCSS)
    • This allows you to enable MMCSS without affecting your ASIO driver state.
  • Bouncing with selected aux tracks alone doesn't automatically include sources routed to the aux track, leading to silent output.
  • Now time should not be set during Arranger move/resize operations during playback.

Issues Resolved in Build 28.09.0.031:

• Drag and drop of audio from track with patch point crashes
  • Crash when trying to open project with incomplete event archive (audio events with no filename saved)
  • Regression: Mono hardware outputs always output as stereo
  • Tracks sourced from aux track L/R/S always show a stereo record meter when armed
  • Second export of Mix Recall tasks has unexpected error
  • Previous MIDI loop takes can be heard during comping and/or Auto Punch+Mute Previous Takes
  • Overlapping Arranger sections when moving section with overwrite on empty project
  • Opening a project that is already open causes the document modified state to be cleared and re-initializes the open project

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I keep having application termination when trying to delete tracks from BBC Symphony Orchestra VST3.

I can reproduce this - the crash report says it's a problem with the VSTi, but we can look into it.

As a workaround for the meantime, turn the audio engine off before deleting the tracks:

image.png.5eb741f92969c70e1d68b67af2a7bdf4.png

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I can reproduce this - the crash report says it's a problem with the VSTi, but we can look into it.

As a workaround for the meantime, turn the audio engine off before deleting the tracks:

image.png.5eb741f92969c70e1d68b67af2a7bdf4.png

Thank you very much. This solves the problem.
It would be very interesting if the application when executing this operation did what you solved.

Edited by Milton Sica

22 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

It would be very interesting if the application when executing this operation did what you solved.

Turning the engine off / on can be slow (in the order of a few seconds), especially if you've got a lot of audio inputs/outputs, so I doubt if most people would want this. 

The plugin is being told one of its outputs is being disconnected, so it shouldn't be trying to continue processing on that output.  Turning the engine off switches off all processing for everything, so it's a really a brute force workaround.

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 5:34 PM, Milton Sica said:

The engine stopping was just a symptomatic way to isolate it. There was an actual race condition in Cakewalk causing this problem. It's been fixed for the release.
We'll post an updated build with that fix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 7:04 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Milton Sica try this build. It should fix the crash deleting tracks with that plugin.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19lMfagiuU4iostxieU9B_705apfsheFv/view?usp=sharing

Adjusted !

I did the following tests:

1) Deleting tracks in a project containing only one instance of the plugin.
2) Deleting tracks in a project containing 5 plugin instances.
3) Deleting tracks in an existing project, containing other instruments and tracks.
4) Deleting the instrument with folders and tracks.

ALL WORKED!

Thank you very much.

Edited by Milton Sica
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I'm not sure what I'm looking at... apart from the beautiful theme, of course

When loading a New Project, there is a delay in loading the "Inspector", from the "View, Options, Track..". and "Browser", in the previous version's, loading was performed together with Track View.

18 hours ago, Herbert Miron said:

When loading a New Project, there is a delay in loading the "Inspector", from the "View, Options, Track..". and "Browser", in the previous version's, loading was performed together with Track View.

I can detect a miniscule delay (like maybe 50ms) between the time the Track View appears and the Inspector and Browser appear. This is too short for me to have noticed whether it used to be faster. As a reference, I tried it with Platinum 17.10, and the panes appeared sequentially from left to right with approximately the same delay - maybe a hair more quickly.

I can see your delay is noticeably longer - approaching a full second -  possibly something to do with loading your Workspace...? I don't use Workspaces.

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.09 Update 1 Early Access [Updated to Build 37]