New mix In vain

Zargg

This is written, performed and mixed by me.

Feedback is appreciated.

All the best.

In Vain
Verse 1:
So you think you're all alone in this.
Well I guess that you are wrong.
No one could ever deserve this less than you do right now,
still you're the one that will prevail.

Chorus:
When all else seems to be in vain.
Your strength gives hope to those who still cannot see.
All you need to,
is realise that you will sometimes fall down again.

Verse 2:
Do not fear where you are right now.
It is just for some time.
Remember everytime you fell, and did get up again.
Stronger for every time.

Chorus 2:

Solo:

Verse 3:
It seems you have a gift for this.
Make a right from what is wrong.
It is a path layed down before you.

Chorus 3:
When all else seems to be in vain.
Your strength gives hope to those who still cannot see.
All you need to is realize that you, will sometimes fall down again.
Sometimes fall down again.

Edited by Zargg
Added lyrics

Hi Ken . . . really liked this one, vocals are great, with that doubled low growl accompaniment, excellently mixed and recorded. The guitar solo caps the whole piece off, though, I found the transition back to verse after it sounded like a sudden engineered volume turn down, instead of a musical transition, just what I heard. I also really like both the intro and the outro, very creative, and unpredictable. Overall a quality piece and well written song !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, noynekker said:

Hi Ken . . . really liked this one, vocals are great, with that doubled low growl accompaniment, excellently mixed and recorded. The guitar solo caps the whole piece off, though, I found the transition back to verse after it sounded like a sudden engineered volume turn down, instead of a musical transition, just what I heard. I also really like both the intro and the outro, very creative, and unpredictable. Overall a quality piece and well written song !

Thanks for listening and feedback, noynekker🙏

All the best.

Edited by Zargg

3 hours ago, Wookiee said:

That was quite pleasant, the acoustic opening did sound a little muffled to these furry ears, the rest was a classic from yourself @Zargg

Thanks for listening and feedback, John.

All the best.

Edited by Zargg
Spelling

4 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

I enjoyed this, has a  great classic rock sound.   Guitar playing is pro level.   Dig the backing vocals which take a lot of extra work, nice.    Wish more people would post the lyrics, but it's not critical to do so.    

Thank you for listening, and the positive feedback, Michael.

I'll add the lyrics in a bit.

All the best.

• 3 months later...

A new mix of this song is up, after getting it reviewed by Warren Huart (worked with anything from James Blunt, to KoRn, founder of Produce like a Pro etc.) on the monthly Produce like a Pro Feedback Friday Members Originals in February.

I've done my best.

Feedback is appreciated.

All the best.

On 10/21/2022 at 7:18 AM, Zargg said:

This is written, performed and mixed by me.

Feedback is appreciated.

This took me by surprise. Wasn't expecting this direction. But it is a good song. Well performed and produced. As others have said the guitar solo is really nice. On my second listen.

Here is the feedback:

Artistic suggestion: The low vocal that you have backing the main vocal throughout the song  I would choose to selectively put it more in the background. Example, when your lead voc starts, so does the low spoken backing vocal. I wouldn't have it so loud in the beginning. I would have it almost inaudible until the 40sec mark when the chorus comes in, then bring up the level you have it at now.

At the 1:04 mark this change sounds really good!! Vocals in this part are keepers!! And at the 1:27 mark this is very dramatic and fits the song well.

[Side note: I didn't hear the first mix you put up, but to me the snare is too low on this mix. When it gets to the 2:38 mark the sound of the snare in that part sounds good. But parts before that I was missing it.]

The layered vocals on the last chorus are really effective! Excellent idea, good performance and great mixing on that part!!

I can really pick stuff apart. :) After the third and fourth listen I came up with these ideas!! Good song. Nice performance. Good Mix too!

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

This took me by surprise. Wasn't expecting this direction. But it is a good song. Well performed and produced. As others have said the guitar solo is really nice. On my second listen.

Here is the feedback:

Artistic suggestion: The low vocal that you have backing the main vocal throughout the song  I would choose to selectively put it more in the background. Example, when your lead voc starts, so does the low spoken backing vocal. I wouldn't have it so loud in the beginning. I would have it almost inaudible until the 40sec mark when the chorus comes in, then bring up the level you have it at now.

At the 1:04 mark this change sounds really good!! Vocals in this part are keepers!! And at the 1:27 mark this is very dramatic and fits the song well.

[Side note: I didn't hear the first mix you put up, but to me the snare is too low on this mix. When it gets to the 2:38 mark the sound of the snare in that part sounds good. But parts before that I was missing it.]

The layered vocals on the last chorus are really effective! Excellent idea, good performance and great mixing on that part!!

I can really pick stuff apart. :) After the third and fourth listen I came up with these ideas!! Good song. Nice performance. Good Mix too!

Thanks for listening, and feedback mate🙏

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zargg said:

New mix is up

Man that first part is better than I would have imagined it!! The way you slowly brought in the low back up voc was excellent!! Good job there.

After the solo the volume drops. I am not sure if it's apparent volume or RMS, but my meter on the output did fall a little. Other than that little quirk of mine, you got a winner there!

Great pic BTW. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

Man that first part is better than I would have imagined it!! The way you slowly brought in the low back up voc was excellent!! Good job there.

After the solo the volume drops. I am not sure if it's apparent volume or RMS, but my meter on the output did fall a little. Other than that little quirk of mine, you got a winner there!

Great pic BTW. 

Thanks mate! The solo is sidechained to the acoustic guitar that plays the verses, so fades out/compresses more when that guitar comes in. Perhaps too abruptly?
The next part is a verse, so is on most my songs naturally lower in volume.

The pic is of my wife and I on our wedding party for our friends. We kept them apart from the families ;)

Edited by Zargg
Spelling
  • Like 1