Skybox Hammers + Waves Acoustic 60% off $74.99

Craig N

They had me at "robotic automation".

https://www.skyboxaudio.com/pages/robot

Using precise robotics we are able to determine the velocity zones based on the force applied to the key itself, not an estimation based on amplitude. The result is a playing experience that is freakishly true to the feel and response of the original instrument.

On an acoustic piano the relationship of force to amplitude is not exactly linear. One note might have a slightly different response than the note right next to it. With our approach the integrity of the response curve of every note is maintained. That leaves the interpretation up to the player, not the recording engineer. Just like when you sit down at the actual instrument.

How does it work?

Keybot was designed and manufactured entirely by skybox Audio. It can take a completely automated high resolution “sonic snapshot” of an entire grand piano in 48 hours with a level of consistency impossible to achieve by hand.

After calibrating itself to any keyboard by scanning across the keys and “listening” for the softest possible note that can be played by each key. The two fingered robot then plays the keyboard one note at a time at 16 different loudness levels while capturing thousands of individual recordings. Proprietary software automation then edits and labels all the samples to be loaded into the playback software. The end result is a stunning sonic replica of the original instrument.

It's not the full set, just three of the ten in the "complete" bundle, but it's still a pretty good price to jump in and see what their stuff is like. I probably have no interest in the chime and prepared collections, and I think they should be including the wurly 145b in the electric collection and hope they do so at some point in the future. But it seems to be really well regarded so it's pretty good value considering what you get for $74.99.

• Like 1

Bought this and spent some time yesterday playing with it. Fantastic presets, and (once I'd read the manual) very sculptable main sounds.

I have literally dozens of piano VIs, but will get lots of use out of this. For anyone without much in the way of pianos, this could give you everything you need with a nice grand, nice upright, and nice old upright!

Definitely a worthy rival to Noire and Ascend in the sound design/cinematic stakes as well!

• Like 2

Decided to jump on it. I like rewarding companies that offer attractive discounts. Still thinking about getting the Sampletekk piano bundle as well.

Haven't had a chance to play with Hammers + Waves yet. Just installed it before work this morning. 

• Like 2