13900k in hand

Jim Roseberry

16 hours ago, Grem said:

I was looking at one of the Asus Z690 boards. They have one with on-board Dual TB 4!! (You have to step up for it. I mean step up high!!)

I was wondering would they give the same performance. Thanks for that info Jim.

I was also wondering how the new TB 4 plays with UAD Apollos, which are TB 3. The Z690 board I looked at that was much cheaper had a TB 4 add in card. Was wondering about the performance of it. 

I just may send you an email Jim!!!

Hi Grem,

No, you won't get the same performance (13900k) using a Z690 motherboard.

I tested that with high-end Z690 motherboards (dual Thunderbolt-4 ports).

Performance was significantly slower (to where it was more in-line with the 12900k). 

Thunderbolt-3 devices work just fine with Thunderbolt-4 (Apollo, Antelope, UFX+, and Quantum all work well).

• Thanks 1

Gigabyte z690 aero D,  Corsair DDR5 5200 64gb, 1tb Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NV Me Windows 11 Drive, ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360,  BeQuiet 802 case.

Ive seen I9-13900K with Z690 motherboards  outperform z790 builds and vice vera on geekbench. Really depends on components and how the i9-13900k is setup and if using latest m/b bios and drivers.

Edited by Axator Brimshaw
Yes

7 hours ago, Axator Brimshaw said:

Ive seen I9-13900K with Z690 motherboards  outperform z790 builds and vice vera on geekbench.

Don't need to go to Geekbench.  I've tested all the above in-house... and built many of each.

Z690 motherboard is not going to out-perform a Z790 (with 13900k)... unless the person building doesn't know how to configure said Z790 system.

Initial 13900k support for Asus Z690 boards didn't allow any Turbo Boost control.  You could set whatever ratio you wanted, no change in actual speed.

What multi-core speed are you achieving with Cinebench R23?  We're over 40k here... with temps nowhere near thermal-throttle.

• Thanks 1

"Z690 motherboard is not going to out-perform a Z790 (with 13900k)... unless the person building doesn't know how to configure said Z790 system. "

Or, you are using an Asus z690 motherboard which restricted the i9-13900k performance. I believe this is fixed now with a driver update.

Ive not seen any benchmarks on cinebench, except for the one attached which I came across on Tweaktown.

Someone certainly knows how to configure their z690 system; perhaps you do not know how to configure your z790 ;-)

89026_03_intel-core-i9-13900kf-overclocked-to-6-2ghz-with-an-aio-cooler_full.jpg

So... you haven't actually built/tested a 13900k based machine... let alone with both Z690 and Z790 motherboards.

The issue with Asus 690 motherboards and the 13900k was BIOS related.

You could set whatever core ratio... and  clock-speed would stay at 5300/4100.

Nice try finding the above!  Not the same CPU.

I'm not running the 13900kf (easier to overclock - but no onboard video), I'm not running Win11, I'm not disabling Efficient Cores, I'm not cranking vCore, and peak CPU temps are nowhere near the 90s.

Try again...

Edited by Jim Roseberry