13900k in hand

Jim Roseberry

• 8 Performance Cores
  • 16 Efficient Cores
  • 32 Processing Threads
  • 5.8GHz Max Turbo

This is going to be interesting (to me) vs. the 7950x.

The 7950x is the first CPU to be able to run things like IK's ToneX at 96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size.

That's ~0.5ms total round-trip latency.

12900k/s and 5950x  can get down to a 32-sample ASIO buffer size.

I expect the 13900k to (slightly) best the 7950x in Cinebench R23 (both single-core and multi-core).

Most curious to see if the 13900k can run ToneX (glitch-free) at 96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size.

Have to say that once completely dialed-in, the 7950x has been rock-solid and super quiet.

Thunderbolt performance has been exceptionally robust.

Can't wait to compare ultra low latency audio performance.

AMD and Intel are slugging it out... and we benefit.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 5

As expected, the 13900k does slightly outperform the 7950x in Cinebench R23 (both single-core and multi-core).   SC=2210 MC=38701
Testing with a 360mm AIO. Picking up a 420mm AIO today.

If you're thinking air cooling (a la NH-D15), I'd quickly forget that notion.
If you're wanting to hit a score of 40k with Cinebench R23, you're not going to do that with a 360mm AIO water-cooler.
I'd consider a top-tier 360mm water-cooler as bare minimum.
Ideally, you want a top-tier 420mm water-cooler (or better). That means a larger case.

Haven't run low latency audio tests (will do that today).
Like the 7950x (due to heat), configuring the 13900k is a lot more complex than a 12700k.
It's a delicate balance finding the sweetest spot for performance... while keeping noise to a minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

It's a delicate balance finding the sweetest spot for performance... while keeping noise to a minimum.

so kinda like NASCAR?

would be interesting to understand how system performance maps to performance cores vs efficient cores. and how clock speeds roll out.

Edited by jackson white
added a thought

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

so kinda like NASCAR?

would be interesting to understand how system performance maps to performance cores vs efficient cores. and how clock speeds roll out.

It's absolutely analogous to high-performance auto racing

Under super heavy loads, you'll see clock-speeds drop (from max Turbo).  Cinebench is an easy way to watch/experience.

As you'd expect, the Performance cores do the heavy lifting... and Efficient cores handle lesser tasks.

What's somewhat amusing is that (though the architecture isn't the same), the experience of working with both the 7950x and 13900k is similar.

I'll have more to say about the 13900k's ultra low latency audio performance (hopefully later this afternoon).

Rebuilt the 13900k with a larger case and 420mm water-cooler.

Cinebench R23

• Multi-core score  =  40,658 (no thermal-throttling)
  • Single-core score = 2284

To run the 13900k at full potential, 420mm water-cooler is absolutely necessary.

Same is true with the 7950x.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2022 at 11:43 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

It's absolutely analogous to high-performance auto racing

do you include sponsor decals with your builds? 😄

seriously though, your experience is greatly appreciated given the challenge of balancing performance expectations with the latest developments. latency has gotten pretty dang good for live tracking, but thermals for plugin heavy projects is rather daunting. we'd have to go through the side of a case or through the wall with the way things stand today. trying to hold out for potentially reduced thermals with upcoming Intel releases citing successive increases in performance per watt. and assuming that  actually translates to reduced TDP under load (if I understand it correctly)...

thanks for sharing.

• Haha 1

Both the 7950x and 13900k will allow you to run IK's new ToneX plugin at 96k using a 16-sample ASIO buffer size.

That's ~0.5ms total round-trip latency (providing your audio interface allows setting buffers that low).

Amplitube 5 is a much heavier load.  Both 7950x and 13900k have to be set to a 32-sample ASIO buffer size (96k) to playback glitch-free.

Helix Native doesn't currently load with the 13900k... but it does load with the 7950x.

The 7950x can run a substantial Helix Native patch at a 24-sample ASIO buffer size (96k).

That's still sub 1ms total round-trip latency... which is better than any current hardware guitar processor.

• Thanks 2

Got Helix Native to load on the 13900k.

Oddly, I had to Deauthorize the plugin... then reauthorize it.

13900k can play a substantial Helix Native patch at a 24-sample ASIO buffer size (96k).

The 7950x and 13900k perform nearly identical.

Both are somewhat of a, "go big or go home" scenario.

• Like 1

I for one am glad that Intel and AMD are competitive with each other.  For a home builder I would think AMD this round as you will have upgrade potential as the next several models are to be compatible with these new motherboards. With Intel this 13000 series is EOL model.  

• Like 1

The 13900k can run on an existing Z690 motherboard (instead of the newer Z790).

However, I wouldn't recommend this... as the 13900k runs significantly slower

ie:  Using an Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Formula (~$800) motherboard, the P cores are locked at 5500Mhz and E cores are locked at 4300MHz.

Doesn't matter what settings you actually choose.

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 8:10 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

The 13900k can run on an existing Z690 motherboard (instead of the newer Z790).

However, I wouldn't recommend this... as the 13900k runs significantly slower

I was looking at one of the Asus Z690 boards. They have one with on-board Dual TB 4!! (You have to step up for it. I mean step up high!!)

I was wondering would they give the same performance. Thanks for that info Jim.

I was also wondering how the new TB 4 plays with UAD Apollos, which are TB 3. The Z690 board I looked at that was much cheaper had a TB 4 add in card. Was wondering about the performance of it. 

I just may send you an email Jim!!!

Edited by Grem