Replace Synth does nothing

Karrade

Question

Hello all, new user.

I used to be able to replace synths to change instruments. Now I open a new project add an instrument track, then if I try to replace it, it will bring up the instrument UI sometimes but doesn't change it. I've tried this 20 times with different instruments and got the same result, even with a fresh blank project.

Is there a setting I have messed with inadvertently that can cause this? Could be something very obvious or basic. Thanks.

Edited by Karrade

6 answers to this question

Just tried it here on a PC configured as per my signature - worked fine here.

Started with Rapture Pro - Strat sound. 

Replaced it with Arturia Pigments 3.5 - custom patch

Then replaced it with Massive X (VST3) - custom patch

Was able to play synths immediately after the replacements.

May need some info about your PC set up and version of Cakewalk and what VSTi plugins you are using.

• Like 1

Thanks, I don't doubt it works for others, it worked previously for me,  I'm a newbie so I was assuming I had hit a setting somewhere that disables the ability to swap instruments, directly, or it'll be a bug with a VST.

However I just got an error opening the project:

Assertion Failed

(Calkwalk path)Shared Utilities\Britbridge.ext 
File: D:\C-Programme|synthedit_sdk\se_sdk|SEModule_base...
Line 245

Expression p_event->time_stamp >= SampleClock()

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure see the visual C++ documentation on asserts.

I could open it by selecting abort but I am not sure what that error means :)

The VST's in the project are:

Quilcom SIM-DJEMBE v1.00 https://freevstplugins.net/quilcom-sim-djembe/
Etherealwinds Harp II CE, (Celtic Folk Harp) https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2857/
DSK Strings  https://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-strings/

I've doubled up a couple of tracks for the last two for chorus/verse etc, but otherwise that's all i've used or done.

These are all throw away projects to learn but I was liking what i'd made this time round, first time ever, and wouldn't mind doing this in a new project minus the offending error. This also could be another instrument i've tried to swap to that caused this error (which would be the best case scenario as I can recreate it without that bug).

*To add

Version of cakewalk would be 2022.09, Build 027 64 Bit

Computer Specs are:
Windows 10
16 GB Ram
i9-9000 KF
Blue Yeti Mic
Basic realtek high def sound card

Very old Yamaha keyboard plugged in, and no other hardware.

Edited by Karrade

15 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Bitbridge is a program to allow 32 bit plugins to work in your 64 bit host. These are most likely the problem in trying to replace them. Only fix  i know is to use different, 64bit, synths or instead of replace, add the new synth, copy over the midi and then delete the old one.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

On 10/20/2022 at 12:16 PM, Karrade said:

Hello all, new user.

I used to be able to replace synths to change instruments. Now I open a new project add an instrument track, then if I try to replace it, it will bring up the instrument UI sometimes but doesn't change it. I've tried this 20 times with different instruments and got the same result, even with a fresh blank project.

Is there a setting I have messed with inadvertently that can cause this? Could be something very obvious or basic. Thanks.

You have to enable the Syth Property Page.

728092827_Screenshot(29).jpg.d39cf9b8602a9e381f96f6039c0bd265.jpg

Edited by Will.
  • Thanks 1