Live recording done with Cakewalk!

Rico Belled

Hey everybody,

Did some recording with the incomparable Keiko Matsui last month at the drummer's house as a kind of demo to see if we can get on the Tiny Desk concert series and it came out pretty great actually! Totally LIVE (no doctoring later!), although we did do another run through to get some more video shots. What you hear is what we played the first time though. That's Jimmy Branly on Cajon, JP Mourao on guitar and yours truly on bass.

I recorded it through my brand new Behringer XR18 (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this thing), into Cakewalk by Bandlab on my Dell XPS 18 which makes an amazing touch control surface for the XR18 by the way. Mixed and Mastered at my place  also in Cakewalk.

Lemmeno what y'all think!

• Like 2

I think that sounds pretty damn good! The playing is tight, of course, and its a great piece of music. But I'm really astonished at how good the little Behringer digital mixer sounds. The whole recording has a super-polished sound to it.

Nice bass solo, by the way :)

Edited by Amicus717

Man! That  was really cool!  Love the sound!  As Amicus said, that was "tight" and very polished.

Video was fun to watch too! 

That Behringer sounded really good! 

Will keep my fingers crossed for your guys that you get on the series...

Keep us posted!😀

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this one.
Very nice playing.
Also love the bass.
Good quality on the recording... never thought a Behringer could sound that good to be honest
They have had a bad rap over the years.

Edited by garybrun

8 hours ago, garybrun said:

Sorry I missed this one.
Very nice playing.
Also love the bass.
Good quality on the recording... never thought a Behringer could sound that good to be honest
They have had a bad rap over the years.

Thanks! Yeah, that bass is surprisingly good..paid less than $600 for it brand new at the dreaded GC.  Brought it to the session for Keiko's record at United (the old Ocean Way) and it just delivered in spades! The tune (Spirit Dance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26qR01Ghh2U) went to number one on the BDS radio chart.

As far as Behringer goes: they been making incredible stuff for a while now. Years ago I bought that ADA8000 which I used extensively for my second record. It ended up eventually developing a hum on some channels that was typical of that particular piece, but sonically it was on point!

This XR18 is on a whole 'nother level. I've recorded in a lot of places, from the worst to the very fanciest and this thing is as good as anything, I'm telling you. The headroom is awesome, recording clean and crisp. the flexibility unparalleled.  It even has 2 Hi-Z inputs; plugged a guitar in one and put an Amp Sim on it: AWESOME. The built-in effects are stellar, and you can even record the dry signal AND route the effects to your computer on a different track.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! Keeps this guy inspired to push forward!

Rico

Very nice tune ,very good performance by all the musicians ,nice video and nice mix.( Some tones reminded me some Pat Metheny's progressions ,and from my point of view it is a cool thing).

Thanks for sharing .

All the best for your music .

Olivier

• Like 1

Really like this song. Ever since I saw you post this tune with the caption I wanted to check it out. Just got around to it today. Great job you did. Both in the recording and playing.  Everyone did a good job in fact. I like her playing on this. I listened to Spirit Dace too, but I like this one better. And almost forgot to mention tha the video was done well also. Nice selection of the place to video. Was that a choice or necessity? : )

Edited by Grem

19 hours ago, Grem said:

Really like this song. Ever since I saw you post this tune with the caption I wanted to check it out. Just got around to it today. Great job you did. Both in the recording and playing.  Everyone did a good job in fact. I like her playing on this. I listened to Spirit Dace too, but I like this one better. And almost forgot to mention tha the video was done well also. Nice selection of the place to video. Was that a choice or necessity? : )

The video was done at Jimmy's (the drummer!) house actually! The idea was to emulate the vibe of NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts and send it in as a demo to see if we can get on the show. His girlfriend used some kind of low budget steady-cam and we shot two run throughs: one while playing and recording what you hear, and then one more while 'finger-syncing' if you will the best we could. Jimmy edited the video and I took the multitrack recording home and mixed it in Cakewalk, then sent him the final mix to be synced with the picture.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! It just amazes me what kind of quality we can achieve these days with the most modest of means. I mean, that XR18 cost me not even $400 brand new and gives me 18 inputs with 16 EXCELLENT mic pres, up to 5 independent stereo headphone mixes if I want... mind-blowing!

R

• Like 1