VST2 FX not working - SOLVED

Don Zimmerman

I have read some posts about VST2 plugins and does Cakewalk by Bandlsbs support it. My answer is no. (YES IT WILL PROBLEM SOLVED) I will tell you why I think so. I also have installed on my computer a "paid" version of Sonar Professional. Cakewalk Platinum will not allow me to play anything through the VST2 software that is installed on my computer. It will open them up, but they do nothing. They just sit there looking like they are supposed to, and all the controls and knobs work but they do absolutely nothing. On the other hand, when I open them up in Cakewalk Professional they work perfectly. I don't know why Bandlabs has decided to not support them, but they evidently don't so in Cakewalk by Bandlabs all VST2 plugins are greyed out and useless. Like I said they will open up, but they do nothing, but they work fine in other earlier versions of Cakewalk. They also work fine in Studio 1, 5 and Fruity Loops. Hope this helps someone. God bless you all.

Thank you all for your replies I am glad to see that it is still working for you all. Maybe I can figure it out if that is the case. They open fine they just don't process my guitar. I can move all the knobs and hear absolutely no change at all. Maybe some of you can give me some suggestions. Everything else works fine but my VST2s. I have Windows 10 but I have not had a problem with any other DAW. 

Edited by Don Zimmerman

2 minutes ago, Don Zimmerman said:

Thank you all for your replies I am glad to see that it is still working for you all. Maybe I can figure it out if that is the case. They open fine they just don't process my guitar. I can move all the knobs and hear absolutely no change at all. Maybe some of you can give me some suggestions. Everything else works fine but my VST2s. 

You must set your guitar track to monitor the processed output. Otherwise you will not hear anything. 

17 minutes ago, Don Zimmerman said:

Thank you all for your replies I am glad to see that it is still working for you all. Maybe I can figure it out if that is the case. They open fine they just don't process my guitar. I can move all the knobs and hear absolutely no change at all. Maybe some of you can give me some suggestions. Everything else works fine but my VST2s. I have Windows 10 but I have not had a problem with any other DAW. 

Sounds like an unauthorized/expired license. Which plugin are you using?

FWIW: Cakewalk also have the ability to bypass the fx bin on the track itself and with a global bypass button.

Edited by Will.

The license for Pitchproof is free with no strings attached and there is not a paid version for it, so it never expires. The other one is Pitchometry  which I just bought so I know the license has not expired on it because it is not a subscription. They work perfectly in every other DAW I have. Studio 1,5 Fruity Loops, and Sonar Professional. 

With the track open so we can see all of the controls, can you take a screenshot of your main window of Cakewalk, also making sure we see the control bar at the top of the window as well?

My guess is either effects are bypassed somewhere, input echo isn't enabled or, failing all of that, in Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording, there should be a check mark in Always Stream Audio through FX.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

I think you should RTFM before you spout off nonsense.

I am sorry you feel that way dear friend. I was only stating my experience, If that offended you, I am truly sorry. That is not my intent here. Neither was I trying to be critical of the program or the creators. I have been using Sonar for many years and it has always been my "go to" DAW. I wouldn't have posted this if I hadn't tried everything I had known first. God bless you and your family.  

Edited by Don Zimmerman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, scook said:

If you wish to monitor effects while playing, (IOW before the track is recorded) make sure to enable the input echo button to the right of the record button on the track.

I feel so stupid, stupid, stupid. That did it. I thought it was enabled but when I looked at it, it wasn't. Thank you so much and I apologize to everyone for my stupidity. Enabling that echo button did it for me. Thank most of you for your patience here and all the help you offered. God bless every one of you.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

With the track open so we can see all of the controls, can you take a screenshot of your main window of Cakewalk, also making sure we see the control bar at the top of the window as well?

My guess is either effects are bypassed somewhere, input echo isn't enabled or, failing all of that, in Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording, there should be a check mark in Always Stream Audio through FX.

Guess what, the echo button wasn't on. I feel so stupid. I thought it was but when I looked at it again it wasn't. Thank you so much for your help and patience dear friend. God bless you and your family.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Don Zimmerman said:

I have read some posts about VST2 plugins and does Cakewalk by Bandlsbs support it. My answer is no. (YES IT WILL SEE BELOW) I will tell you why I think so. I also have installed on my computer a "paid" version of Sonar Professional. Cakewalk Platinum will not allow me to play anything through the VST2 software that is installed on my computer. It will open them up, but they do nothing. They just sit there looking like they are supposed to, and all the controls and knobs work but they do absolutely nothing. On the other hand, when I open them up in Cakewalk Professional they work perfectly. I don't know why Bandlabs has decided to not support them, but they evidently don't so in Cakewalk by Bandlabs all VST2 plugins are greyed out and useless. Like I said they will open up, but they do nothing, but they work fine in other earlier versions of Cakewalk. They also work fine in Studio 1, 5 and Fruity Loops. Hope this helps someone. God bless you all.

I am truly sorry that I posted something so hastily and because of my stupidity was the reason they didn't work and not any fault of the software. I have been using Sonar for many years and love it. Again, I am sorry for the confusion and wish to say that contrary to my original post, it DOES support VST2s. Gd bless all of you and thank you all for your patience..

5 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

I think we've all had these derp kind of moments. Glad you got it sorted out! :)

It might be a good idea to edit your original post and change the title to [solved] so others can learn from it.

I am in the process of adding a reply to it now.

2 hours ago, Don Zimmerman said:

I have read some posts about VST2 plugins and does Cakewalk by Bandlsbs support it. My answer is no. I will tell you why I think so. I also have installed on my computer a "paid" version of Sonar Professional. Cakewalk Platinum will not allow me to play anything through the VST2 software that is installed on my computer. It will open them up, but they do nothing. They just sit there looking like they are supposed to, and all the controls and knobs work but they do absolutely nothing. On the other hand, when I open them up in Cakewalk Professional they work perfectly. I don't know why Bandlabs has decided to not support them, but they evidently don't so in Cakewalk by Bandlabs all VST2 plugins are greyed out and useless. Like I said they will open up, but they do nothing, but they work fine in other earlier versions of Cakewalk. They also work fine in Studio 1, 5 and Fruity Loops. Hope this helps someone. God bless you all.

Edited by Don Zimmerman
  • Like 1