MCU Control Surface Protocol

Terry Andrews

Hello all!

I recently purchased an Arturia Keylad Essential 49 midi controller, the problem I'm having is I cannot use the unit for the DAW controls. On Cakewalk under preferences, control surfaces,there is no functiion for 'mackie control'. I contacted Arturia and apparently 'the MCE control surface protocol is not working on Cakewalk by Bandlad'. How do I fix this?

Thank you!

Terry

I am sure someone will be along shortly that either has this controller or understands the controller setup better then I do. In the meantime, forum member @azslow3, has made a patch of the cakewalk control surface api that is very flexible.

https://www.azslow.com/index.php/board,3.0.html

However, there should be a Mackie Control driver selectable when you make a control surface. can you include some screen shots of what you are doing and what you see?

I recommend to start with Mackie Control. From what I know it should be installed with CbB.

There is no ready to use AZ Controller preset for that device. Making such preset requires quite some knowledge and time (even so the result may be more usable then Mackie mode with standard CbB plug-in, when done properly).

6 hours ago, Terry Andrews said:

Hello all!

I recently purchased an Arturia Keylad Essential 49 midi controller, the problem I'm having is I cannot use the unit for the DAW controls. On Cakewalk under preferences, control surfaces,there is no functiion for 'mackie control'. I contacted Arturia and apparently 'the MCE control surface protocol is not working on Cakewalk by Bandlad'. How do I fix this?

Thank you!

Terry

Terry,

I am not sure what MCE protocol the Arturia uses but in the case of my Studiologic MIXFACE, I had to disable HANDSHAKING, along with putting the MIXFACE into MCU CUBASE mode and then selecting that for the Cakewalk Mackie Control dialog as well.

2022-10-17_19-37-07.png.ca486bed4bbf10da5c23d93d3ea3ee39.png

Edited by Simeon Amburgey

On 10/18/2022 at 4:08 AM, Jonathan Sasor said:

Mackie Control is standard in the installer, you just have to add a surface instance on that page of the Preferences and choose the appropriate ports- assuming the Arturia controller uses that protocol. 

Cakewalk put "Control Surface Plugin installer" out of default Cakewalk installer since SONAR Platinum era.
That means, unless you have SONAR installed prior to CbB, you can't have full access to the Cakewalk Control Surface Plugins in CbB.
You can download the Cakewalk Control Surface Plugins here :

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013438/Control-Surface-Installers

But the problem is, the installer won't let you install it unless you have SONAR.
I kindly remind the dev team many times about it since BandLab took Cakewalk in about 2018. So please have a look at it, and correct me if I'm wrong 🙂

5 hours ago, James Argo said:

Cakewalk put "Control Surface Plugin installer" out of default Cakewalk installer since SONAR Platinum era.
That means, unless you have SONAR installed prior to CbB, you can't have full access to the Cakewalk Control Surface Plugins in CbB.
You can download the Cakewalk Control Surface Plugins here :

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013438/Control-Surface-Installers

But the problem is, the installer won't let you install it unless you have SONAR.
I kindly remind the dev team many times about it since BandLab took Cakewalk in about 2018. So please have a look at it, and correct me if I'm wrong 🙂

That is definitively not currently foreseen way to get current Mackie plug-in. There was significant updates recently.

Note that in current Cakewalk by Bandlab version you should see "Copyright 2022..." in the lower right corner of the plug-in interface. 

18 hours ago, azslow3 said:

That is definitively not currently foreseen way to get current Mackie plug-in. There was significant updates recently.

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear... You are right, Mackie Control is on the list by default 🙂

But since we're on topic, what I'm trying to get was a little bit of attention from developers team regarding Control Surface Plugins Installer as well.
If you don't have Sonar installed prior to CbB, by default now you only have 5 Control Surfaces in a list to select.

addcontsurface-default.jpg

However, with Cakewalk Control Surface plugins installer, you have many available (Roland, Tascam, etc).

contsurface2.jpg

The problem is the Control Surface Plugins installer requires Sonar (any version) being present to install.

If only the dev team can "remove" the requirement from the Control Surface Plugins installer, and re-release it, I hope any new CbB users (who doesn't have Sonar) can also benefit from it. 🙂

• Like 1

Hi everybody, me again.

Nope, can't get the DAW(on keyboard) to work. Tried all of your suggestions, no luck

On James Argo post, I can't seem to find 'Controller/Surface Settings' box with the drop down settings. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong....

Suggestions?

Sorry for the stupid question(s), I am a noob. Thanks!

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry Andrews said:

On James Argo post, I can't seem to find 'Controller/Surface Settings' box with the drop down settings. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong....

Suggestions?

Press the button it to top right corner, so right from "X" button. Horizontal at the level of "Import ACT Data...". That is "+" button, drawn a bit unfortunate for noobs (I remember I also was confused... looong time ago 😏)

• Great Idea 1